Thread: towing with tow dolly

Default towing with tow dolly

I've been thinking about getting a tow dolly for my Jeep. If I get 1, what problems will I have towing my Wrangler (with 33" tires)? I also have lockers front and rear. I checked out u-hauls site, and they recommend removing the rear driveshaft for 4x4's. The factory manual says to just put transfer case in neutral and tranny in park for "flat towing". A tow dolly wouldn't take up as much space in my driveway compared with a 14-16 ft trailer, and it would be a little easier on my tow vehicle (97 Grand Cherokee with V8 & tow package) because of the weight difference (400-500 # vs 1,500-1,600 #, not including weight of my Wrangler). And a tow dolly would be about half the cost of a trailer. I wouldn't use it that much and for distances less than a few hundred miles each way.
    2003 Khaki colored Rubicon, auto trans, 305/70 MTR's, 3 1/2" Rubicon Express lift, Currie Anti-Rock swaybar,
    Skid-Row engine plate, Warn M8000 winch

Registered

Ive towed the jeep on a dolly with an open and then after I locked it, backing up is much tougher with it locked, the jeep just doesnt want to turn.
    95 YJ 1Ton, V8, Linked

-=- originally posted by 92redyj -=-
    Ive towed the jeep on a dolly with an open and then after I locked it, backing up is much tougher with it locked, the jeep just doesnt want to turn.
    Thats because you aren't supposed to back up a tow dolly when there is a vehicle on it. Just thought you might want to know that.. its not a good idea.. you can get the vehicle jacknifed on the dolly, then the dolly jacknifed to the towing vehicle... talk about a fun situation... We call them death dolly's around my workplace, and we work and rent them to people all day long everyday.. I work for an auto repair shop that also rents budget/ryder moving equipment. I'll NEVER tow my jeep with a death dolly. Just get a trailer... JMHO.
    Scott
    89 YJ Sahara, SOA/SUA 35" MTR's
    04.5 Dodge Ram CTD600 Tow rig
    Visit My AMSOIL Dealer Website!
    My AMSOIL MySpace

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered

i've towed mine with one once. it wasn't bad. you will just have to do some thinking on how to get the straps over your tires. and also you think pulling one with a locker was bad, try pulling one with a full spool in the rear of the jeep. i think the dolly would jump about a foot sideways everytime the tire would give.
    i seriously doubt that i will do it again.

greg
    97 tj
    46 willys

Registered

I towed it several times with tow dolleys. They are ok but not great.

Registered

From my experience, its hard to find straps to secure large tires(33 & up). I had some straps come loose once and my YJ rolled forward and slammed into my truck. Then I had to figure a way to get the damn thing back onto the dolly. I don't use them anymore...

Registered

I just bought one of those bumper mounted tow bars, I paid 115 for it at JC whitney. I'm not sure how it's going to handle yet though. Just put the brackets on today, never towed it.

It does say in the instructions not to back up with it connected.
    RED 92 YJ - Cobra CB, OBA, KC Daylighters, GPSIII+, 4 banger, 31-10.50 GY / MT,WARN X8000i.

Registered

i just used it in an emergency spur of the moment situtation, I didnt get a dolly to tow my jeep to the trail
    95 YJ 1Ton, V8, Linked

Registered

I use a tow dolly to get my YM from VA to TX and it worked fine the straps sucked and it only had 31's on it at the time.. I would definately make straps that fit if you are using it as a primary mode of transportation. Backing up takes alot of practice. My buddy flat towed a YJ on 38's and it did fine. I am flat towing mine now.
    Black 90 YJ with some mods courtesy of www.tapoffroad.com www.baertrax.com, www.afm4x4.com

Moderator - BullTear.com

Registered

I don't understand why you would want to use a tow dolly.....you still have 4 wheel's on the ground and several places where thing's can go wrong.

I purchased a set of shackles from 4-West in Colton, Ca. that have pin's to hook a towbar onto. Trick!! No welding, no drilling.

Flash