Thread: Ujoint squeal on rear driveshaft??

Registered

Default Ujoint squeal on rear driveshaft??

Last night I'm suddenly hearing a high pitch squeal which I now believe is coming from the ujoint right in front of the rear diff. Anybody else ever have this problem or know what might be going on?

I'm definitely no mechanic and of course it had to start happening on a Sat. when I can't get in for service at the dealership so now I feel stranded. :teary:
    03-Rubicon/OME HD lift/1"BL/1"MML/35" MT/R's/Cobra 75 wx st/Nth Degree Tummy Tucker/Tom Woods CV Shaft/JKS rear upper contol arms/Warn 9.5Ti/Various skids/Custom front & rear bumper/Rokmen Strykers/Roll Cage

Registered

That is usually the first u-joint to go but if usually rattles rather than squeals. Could be a dry pinion bearing too. Either way just drive it and let the dealer check it out Monday.
    Red Dawg 03 Rubicon - auto - Red of course.

Registered

I have a strange squeek also but i think mine is in the clutch bearing because it goes away when i use the clutch. Has enyone else had this problem?
    '03 Rubicon, XD9000i, 2" spacers, Rancho 5000's

Registered

-=- originally posted by Jeepguy03 -=-
    I have a strange squeek also but i think mine is in the clutch bearing because it goes away when i use the clutch. Has enyone else had this problem?
    I put up with that for about three years with my 97. It was the clutch bearing but for three years it never got any worse than the start up squeal you are getting.

Registered

I have a similar squeal. I took it to the dealer and they said it's the rear u-joint on the front drive shaft. I've been waiting over a week for replacment parts. I've also had it out wheelin twice since the noise started with no ill effects just the anoying squeal.

I noticed this when I first bough mine. The squeal was actually coming from the "rubber" pinion dust shield.....It rotates with the pinion. Mine originally had a high pitch squeal coming from the rear. I told the dealer about it and he said drive it another 100 miles and see if it goes away. I will squirt silicon spray or Duralube around it and it takes care of the squeal. I've also noticed it'll make a creaking sound after being in the mud/water, although not nearly as bad as when I first got it. I can now only hear it when the radio is off, window is down, and I'm barely moving. Get under the jeep (level ground), put in neutral, take off the e-brake, and move the jeep while listening for the noise.
    '03 Rubi. w/ RE4.5" SF, 1"BL, 35" KM2's on black steelies.

Registered

-=- originally posted by Blacksahara -=-
    Get under the jeep (level ground), put in neutral, take off the e-brake, and move the jeep while listening for the noise.
    Very very very bad suggestion, do not try this at home. You may be killed or seriously injured or you may do damage to your vehicle. Get somebody else who you trust with your life, to get inside and work the steering and BRAKES then, get down BESIDE the Jeep and listen.

Registered

-=- originally posted by Reddawg -=-
    Very very very bad suggestion, do not try this at home. You may be killed or seriously injured or you may do damage to your vehicle. Get somebody else who you trust with your life, to get inside and work the steering and BRAKES then, get down BESIDE the Jeep and listen.

You are right.. there is a huge possibility that the tires may fall off your Jeep and you get crushed, injured, or killed!!!

Honestly unless you are superman, I don't know how you could get the Jeep to roll on a level surface without someone else helping.

Registered

and if you are superman and can push the vehicle back and forth on said level surface you don't need to get worried about getting hurt either!

Registered

-=- originally posted by Yonnone -=-
    and if you are superman and can push the vehicle back and forth on said level surface you don't need to get worried about getting hurt either!
    I don't know about that either. Wasn't it Superman who fall off a horse and broke his neck?

Oh, come on I've done this myself in my garage. You don't have to be Superman/Wonderwoman.....just pull down on the tire while laying on your back. If your not strong enough to do that then push the vehicle with your foot on the tire while laying on your back. You only have to move the vehicle a 1/2" or so.

How is this dangerous? It's level, not running, and your only moving it 1/2" in either direction while listening for a creak/squeal.

If you still think this is dangerous you'd better sell your Rubicon and buy a bubble to live-in. I think getting a paper cut in more dangerous
    '03 Rubi. w/ RE4.5" SF, 1"BL, 35" KM2's on black steelies.

Registered

Well just to follow up I brought it in to the dealer and Blacksahara had the problem nailed, they lubed the pinion dust shield and the noise is gone. Simple fix that I could have easily done if I had known but hey live and learn right and now I know for the next time.

Thanks everybody.
    03-Rubicon/OME HD lift/1"BL/1"MML/35" MT/R's/Cobra 75 wx st/Nth Degree Tummy Tucker/Tom Woods CV Shaft/JKS rear upper contol arms/Warn 9.5Ti/Various skids/Custom front & rear bumper/Rokmen Strykers/Roll Cage