Thread: 1st gear auto lock out write up done.

Australia. If not in the Outback, thinking about being there.

Cool 1st gear auto lock out write up done.

Just in case there are a few new to the XJ auto scene I have done a write up on locking out first gear in the auto via a selectable switch. This will save you getting thrown forward every time you slow up slightly while holding second gear down a hill. Also good for winter starts on ice where you can push off in second gear to limit wheel spin like avaliable on some European cars.

For all the info take a look in my how to section.

My web site below:
    www.go.jeep-xj.info
    http://facebook.com/marcus.ohms

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
    The more brains you use, the less materials you need!

Talking

Wow! That's really cool...would be great up here in Winter. I had to be REAL careful last winter to not spin from a stoplight (course, current tires BLOW!).

Is there any danger to using this too much? or any way it could 'hurt' the tranny?

Thanks for the continued write-ups GoJeep!!

EDIT:

Hey GoJeep, whats the number pad for?

- Western New York - 1992 Cherokee Sport HO - New 2.25" Exhaust -

As far as I know you cannot 'over use' this. I have heard of one guy who said that he once had it go into limp mode but after re-starting the car all was fine again and he continues to use it. I trying to find out if it was wired the same way though as some use the power from soleniod 1 so nothing will happen unless there is power there first ( as in the shifter is in the 1-2 position ). I have had no problems with it wired this way for over 4 years so far!
    As for the key pad, you can buy them here and have fitted one to my Dads XJ too, where you must punch in a 4 digit code before you can start the car!

My web site below:
    www.go.jeep-xj.info

-=- originally posted by Gojeep -=-
    As far as I know you cannot 'over use' this. I have heard of one guy who said that he once had it go into limp mode but after re-starting the car all was fine again and he continues to use it. I trying to find out if it was wired the same way though as some use the power from soleniod 1 so nothing will happen unless there is power there first ( as in the shifter is in the 1-2 position ). I have had no problems with it wired this way for over 4 years so far!
    That's cool, good to know.

As for the key pad, you can buy them here and have fitted one to my Dads XJ too, where you must punch in a 4 digit code before you can start the car!
    NO ****?? That's awesome! Just like the BMW in the Transporter, aw man that's too cool. There HAS to be someone/someway to get them over here. What do they cost?

Registered

-=- originally posted by JavaMoose -=-
    There HAS to be someone/someway to get them over here. What do they cost?
    Dude, JC Whitney carries that kinda crap...last time I saw. I want to say it was under $20.
    Proud member of the 'Offcamber thinks it's a POS' Nikon club.

please, please, please somebody figure out how to do this on a '97+!!!!!!!!

-=- originally posted by ECKSJAY -=-
    Dude, JC Whitney carries that kinda crap...last time I saw. I want to say it was under $20.
    If I wanted a $20 easy-to-bypass piece of crap I would build it...

I'm assuming this may be a part that works in conjunction with an alarm system...that's more what I would like to get...

Registered

-=- originally posted by JavaMoose -=-
    If I wanted a $20 easy-to-bypass piece of crap I would build it...

I'm assuming this may be a part that works in conjunction with an alarm system...that's more what I would like to get...
    Oh at least say 'thank you' for my taking the time to tell you where I'd seen something like it.
    Proud member of the 'Offcamber thinks it's a POS' Nikon club.

Registered

-=- originally posted by Dookie -=-
    please, please, please somebody figure out how to do this on a '97+!!!!!!!!
    The only reason I haven't figured this on the 97+ is due the the fact that I don't have one or the books. If someone provides me the FSM for a 97+ I'll figure it out and update my www.bigoffroad.com article. Johnjohn of Bigoffroad is one of my buddies and he's killing the 88 and moving all of this stuff to the 98. So he'll be wanting this done as well. So I have a test vehicle just need the service manuals. Troy

-=- originally posted by ECKSJAY -=-
    Oh at least say 'thank you' for my taking the time to tell you where I'd seen something like it.
    Heh, sorry, was just agreeing with ya on the "JC-Whitney = A lot of crap" part...

As for the 97+ I have heard of quite a few that have done the same mod exactly. The only problem they spoke of is the the check engine light comes on and stays on for 50 key starts before it goes away! That would really frustrate me and would have to put tape over it or some such thing.
    Dont know if any other problems were caused with it as well?

As for the key pad, it was not reliable on my Dads XJ so I have by passed it and have a fuel cut out switch and also and ignition one just like mine. My key pad has never been connected and I just bought the pad only from an electronic store for a couple of dollars and fills that space nicely and fools the kiddies!

My web site below:
    www.go.jeep-xj.info

Registered

I did this mod a few weeks ago (same one from bigoffroad), did the torque converter lock up to, just for the hell of it. Only thing I did different was use a pair of relays, as some people reported problems with using switches with LEDs...and also with using the relays, it is easy to wire in a kill switch for both switches (to keep curious and stupid friends and other things from hitting them).

toggle up front is for TCU (down=on).

And the switch is good for highway driving...when you reach a hill, and find yourself slowing down, just flip the switch and it drops you into 3rd.
    97 Tacoma...I miss my XJ

Registered

Is there anyway to lock the trans into 1st gear?

There are times when crawling that it shifts up to 2nd, but I want to stay in 1st.

Registered

all you'd have to do is turn on solenoid 1, and leave 2 off.

http://www.bigoffroad.com/pages/bigp...ch/2ndgear.htm
    97 Tacoma...I miss my XJ

Registered

-=- originally posted by BrianG -=-
    all you'd have to do is turn on solenoid 1, and leave 2 off.

http://www.bigoffroad.com/pages/bigp...ch/2ndgear.htm

Thanks, I'm going to put a switch in to keep power from solenoid #2 when I'm in 1-2 on the gear selector.