Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: power steering pump noise.....

Registered

Default power steering pump noise.....

After flushing my PS fluid and re-filling with Valvoline Synpower it still makes that ehhhhhhhhhhhh sound when increasing RPM's. I can hear it as I accelerate. Makes no noise when turning the wheel, it's just that ehhhhh sound as best as I can describe it. Steering works fine, no noise when wheel is turned. It's just that noise as the rpm's increase. Anything else I can do or add to the resevoir to quiet it down?

Just wondering but is that also the sound when you have a bad idler pulley? Or is that more of an annoying screaching noise? Want to be sure I don't have a bad idler pulley then suddenly fail and get stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks.

How did you flush it?
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 200k mi
    2WD, 4.0L I-6, 42RE, Dana 35

Registered

I flushed it by using a turkey baster to suck out the fluid from the resevoir.

I would suck out as much as I could(8 ounces)
    Top off with fresh fluid
    Turn engine on
    Turn wheel lock to lock a few times(engine hot)
    Turn engine off then repeated the process until I used 1/2 a quart.

I did this over the course of 4 days until I used 2 quarts. Fluid is clean now, not dark like before.

Registered

btt

Registered

I have to admit mine always made that "ehhhhhh" noise until after 5 years when the bearings went in the pump.

It took 20 minutes to replace it, and the cost was $85 Canadian.

As soon as the new one was installed, same noise.

I test drove a few used ZJ's at the dealer just to see if this noise was normal, and guess what? They all had the same noise.

It's minor, it doesn't bother me, so I don't waste any more time with it.

At least it's not as bad as the noisy pumps on some of those older Ford's I had.
    Stock 98 JGC 4.0 Select Trac

Registered

If there is in fact a problem (as jeepo said, the noise may be normal - noises are very subjective), it is probably the ball bearing on the front of the pump. They aren't too hard to replace - make sure you have a good pair of snap ring pliers and throw new seals in the pump too.

- Joe
    '94 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8, 121k miles, Ford 8.8 w/ POSI, NV242, headers, custom-built 3" stainless exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, K&N FIPK, custom-built 4 wheel disc brakes, Flowkooler water pump
    Import Performance Transmissions custom 46RH trans and torque converter

Registered

What's the actually noise caused by? Something inside the pump? I may try some Auto-rx which was suggested to me by www.bobistheoilguy.com. Any harm in just ignoring it if nothing I try works?

Registered

It sounds like bearing noise to me. The bearings on these pumps usually last a very long time - the seals usually go first. An overly tight belt will cause a pump bearing to die prematurely. I wouldn't try any of that miracle fix stuff, that is just a band aid. You can ignore it if you want, but eventually the bearing will come apart. This may happen tomorrow, or 20 years from now. Check the tension on your belt first. Also, make SURE it is coming from the PS pump itself.

On a side note, I have not had good experiences with the Valvoline PS fluid. I put it in my ZJ a year or two back to try it and the steering box got much louder. I pulled the box apart to fix it and noticed very deep groves in the box casting (caused by the PTFE seals on the valve assembly on the worm shaft). To make a long story short, I bought a box off ebay and rebuilt it and the steering is like new again. Personally, I prefer a fluid that has a higher Zinc content like the Gunk or STP fluid. Whenever I rebuild a pump or a box, I use CarQuest fluid. It is cheap, and it works.

- Joe
    '94 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8, 121k miles, Ford 8.8 w/ POSI, NV242, headers, custom-built 3" stainless exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, K&N FIPK, custom-built 4 wheel disc brakes, Flowkooler water pump

Try swapping out your expensive PS fluid for Dextron III ATF. See if that works.
    1996 ZJ clean on the inside, dirty and beat up outside
    1985 J20 needs cab lights and a gun rack
    1981 Scrambler in pieces, and I mean pieces
    1975 CJ-5 shaving right-front fender flare one tree at a time
    1947 Willys runs and drives (sort of), just doesn't stop

Registered
    Home: Chicago/ College: University of Dayton, Ohio

Yeah you're problem lies with the ball bearing. It has happened to me 3 times. Mine is due to the 32" tires and steel wheels. If you do the job yourself, plan for 3 to 4 hours.

Shoot me a PM if you need any help.

Danimal
    '98 Volvo S70 T5
    -Loaded, 130K miles

Sold:
    '97 TSi Loaded, 4.0L, NP249,
    Rusty's 5", 32" BFG Mudders, ARB Bull Bar, Rusty's Adj. Arms, RE and ORGS Track bars, OME LT shocks, Tera Disco's, YJ Brake Lines, Armored, Clayton's HarkRockers, OME SD40, Turbo City Intake, Flowmaster 40, CarSound Cat, Full Tints, Custom U-Jointed Front Driveshaft, Kolak Igntion, CSF 3 Row Radiator, Infinity References in rear, Panasonic X983 H/U, JBL 1200W amp, 12" L7 Solo Baric

BLACK BEAUTY PICS

THE 4.0L ISN'T JUST AN ENGINE, IT'S A WAY OF LIFE

Registered

I removed the belt this morning and spun the PS pump by hand and it made a sound. It's hard to describe the sound but it was not silent in other words. I also noticed that there is a very slight play on the pulley as I shook it back and forth. Should there be any play at all? No matter how loose or tight I adjusted the belt it still made the noise. While I had the belt off I was also able to test and see if the idler and tension pulley was ok just in case. I spun them both by hand with belt off and made no noise at all and spun ok. Danimal ZJ, you said that it lies with the ball bearing. Where is this ball bearing and can it be replaced alone or would I need a completely new pump? Thanks.

Registered

Bad bearing. The bearing is behind the seal, which is behind the pump pulley. You will have to dis-assemble the pump to replace the bearing. You will probably have to look up a bearing supply company in the phone book - I doubt the dealer will have them (they sell new pumps).

- Joe

Registered

-=- originally posted by 94_V8_ZJ -=-
    Bad bearing. The bearing is behind the seal, which is behind the pump pulley. You will have to dis-assemble the pump to replace the bearing. You will probably have to look up a bearing supply company in the phone book - I doubt the dealer will have them (they sell new pumps).

- Joe
    What caused the bearing to go bad? Lack of changing the PS fluid as maintenance?

Registered

Probably wrong belt tension. PS fluid changes aren't part of the nornal maintenance schedule. It does get pretty nasty though. I pulled apart and rebuilt a box with 100k+ miles and there was tons of varnish.

- Joe

Registered

-=- originally posted by 94_V8_ZJ -=-
    Probably wrong belt tension. PS fluid changes aren't part of the nornal maintenance schedule. It does get pretty nasty though. I pulled apart and rebuilt a box with 100k+ miles and there was tons of varnish.

- Joe
    Is there any danger continuing the run the Jeep with the condtion of the bearing or should I get it fixed or replced asap? Midas replaced my belt probably 20K miles ago. I wouldn't doubt they over-tihtened it. Those damn grease monkey's. When I check the belt tension for the first time yesterday it did feel a bit tight but that too much. I guess it's better loose then tight. I know the damage is already done on the PS pump bearing but I'm still going to relieve the belt tension a bit so the other pulleys don't go. How the hell do you measure for the proper tension? Just by feel alone?

Thanks!

Registered

Most mechanics just do it by feel, but technically you should use a belt tension tool. I believe Miller, Snap-On, OTC, etc all make them for big $$. Be careful when you adjust the tension because if you make the belt too loose, it will slip when you load the accessories (i.e. when you turn the steering wheel, the belt may start to squeal). I love having an auto-tensioner

If you get the belt retensioned by a mechanic/dealer that uses the tool, make a couple of marks (white out sometimes works) on the adjuster so you will know how far to adjust it if you ever have to remove the belt for any reason.

- Joe

EDIT: There is no way for me to tell if it is safe to use your vehicle unless I can see it personally. It will continue to get worse until the bearing comes apart. It make take 1 day, it make take 10 years - there is no way for me to tell from here.

You can usually pick up rebuilt pumps from autozone, but not all rebuilding outfits put new bearings in the pumps. The dealer ones are expensive, but they are brand new.

If you want to rebuild the whole pump, buy a TransTec seal kit, and a new name-brand bearing (Torrington/Timken, BCA, etc). A transmission shop can probably get these parts for you. I know TransTec won't give you the time of day unless you have an account with them. Alternatively, I believe Carparts.com carries rebuild kits from Gates.

Registered

Thanks. It is actually getting louder by the day. I can here the noise at idle where as a week ago I could not. I just released some of the tension off the belt and will be calling my dealer again tommorow for an apointment. The PS pump is covered under my aftermarket warranty but I wish I would have noticed the noise when they had it a few weeks ago to install a new exhaust manifold. Now I have to pay another $100 deductible where I could have gotten it done with the exhaust manifold together :rant:.

When you say "until the bearing comes apart" what does that exact mean? Will the pulley fall off the pump leaving me stranded ? What's the worse that can happen as I'm driving?

Thanks.

Registered

The pump shaft is supported by a ball bearing unit. Eventually, the balls (which are very hard metal) will chew through the races which will in turn cause the shaft to be unsupported at the front. The pulley will stay on the shaft, but if the shaft becomes unsupported, the belt can easily slip off the pulley. You would lose power steering, charging, A/C, water pump, etc.

- Joe

Registered

So 2 ounces of Auto-rx would be a waste of time? I just ordered a bottle which should be coming in the mail today.

Registered

Just got back from picking up my Jeep at the dealer. They installed a new power steering pump. Nice and quiet now. I also told them that my ABS has been on. They checked for codes and they replaced the front drivers side. The light did not come on while driving home so we'll see what happens in the long run. New dealer ps pump is $249.00. Isn't that a bit steep? I also noticed they used the same pulley. Why wouldn't the new pump come with a new pulley?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast