Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheap ZJ Long Arm Kit (front only)

Registered

Default Cheap ZJ Long Arm Kit (front only)

I cant find a post I read many months ago about someone positng a long arm kit for an XJ that will fit a ZJ (front) - the kit was like 500 bones I think.

Does anyone remember which produt and website they were referring to?

I used the search tool - but no dice.

Thanks,
    1996 Black V8 ZJ - Clayton 4-Link LA Kit, RE 4.5" Coils, Procomp MT 33x12.5s, 4.56 gears, Adco sway bars, PIAAs, B&M Tranny cooler, Tom Woods shafts, Currie Draglink and TieRod, JKS F/Track Bar, Kevins RP Sliders, Protofab bumpers, Bilstein shocks, Mopar Performance PCM, Mike Leach Headers w/ Carsound Cat + Magnaflow Muffler,
    5.9L engine and 46RE Tranny, M1 Intake Kolak Ignition, 3 Core Radiator, Elec Fan.
    Pic of my ZJ

2002 Black on Black Z06 - TPIS Long tube Headers - YellaTerra Roller Rockers, Ported Manifold, Blackwing Intake, Random Tech CATS + X-Pipe- JL 10s & JL 500 Amp Pic of my Z06

That was me suggesting Clayton's XJ kit or the RK XJ kit.
    -Brandon-
    '93 V8 ZJ, 6", Tim's v1.2 LAs, EOR 8-PT CAGE, locked 30, welded 8.8, 35" MT/Rs, 231 w/ AA SYE, beat to hell...SOLD
    '96 V8 Limited rollin' on 31s pulling DD duty...

curious?
    '98 ZJ Laredo 5.2L, 2" RE BB, 31x10.5 BFG MT, Kevin's RP-1 sliderz, Kevin's Rad, FIPK, Flowmaster 40 series :pablo:
    Jeep's Pics
    Oh yeah?!? what are you going to do? Release the dogs, or the bees, or the dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees at you? Go ahead, do your worst! Homer Simpson

school- Santa Barbara / home- Pleasanton, CA

The XJ and ZJ front suspensions are pretty much the same as regards to the way Kits go.

XJ LA kits will fit the front of ZJ's.

go do some research on some XJ kits and compare them to the ZJ kits of the same makers.
    1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee(Sold)

Recent Jeep Pics -- My CarDomain Page
    *7" JKS/RE lift --- all JKS adj. arms, JKS gen II disco's, JKS/ORGS adj. Trackbars, JKS shock conv. and BPE's, RE 4.5" coils, 2" BB, SS brakelines --33x14.5 SSR's *15" five spokes *Addco's with poly *Zinc Bilstein 5100's *Custom Rock Sliders *5.2 liter *Flowmaster 40 series *CarSound Cat *K&N *Mopar ECU *Kolak ignition *180 degree Stat *Limo tint *All custom Black leather Interior *Every Limited Option *Clear corners *Xenon's *PIAA's *Indiglo guages **Lots of cool stereo stuff**... Many Other Gizmos and Gadgets
    1999 Yamaha yzf-R6 with some mods
    1999 GMC Sierra also with some mods of course

Question

But do you really want to "cheap out" on something this important to the driveability of the Grand?

-=- originally posted by Jim Hef -=-
    But do you really want to "cheap out" on something this important to the driveability of the Grand?
    How is just buying the front "cheaping out?" I only run front LAs on my ZJ and couldn't be happier. Go compare ZJ fronts and XJ kits for yourself. There are a couple guys just running the XJ/ZJ front kit from Clayton on their ZJs.
    -Brandon-
    '93 V8 ZJ, 6", Tim's v1.2 LAs, EOR 8-PT CAGE, locked 30, welded 8.8, 35" MT/Rs, 231 w/ AA SYE, beat to hell...SOLD

Why would you not want the LAs in the rear? Is it the $$? Can you buy just the rear at a later time then?
    '98 ZJ Laredo 5.2L, 2" RE BB, 31x10.5 BFG MT, Kevin's RP-1 sliderz, Kevin's Rad, FIPK, Flowmaster 40 series :pablo:
    Jeep's Pics
    Oh yeah?!? what are you going to do? Release the dogs, or the bees, or the dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees at you? Go ahead, do your worst! Homer Simpson

Registered

Long arms on the front only might be worth doing the research on.
    I can tell you from experience the full long arm mod. is not cheap! I ran into a lot more custom fabrication and extra parts ( read: high steering kit) than I first thought.
    If your goal is 33" tires a 4.5" to 5" lift with front only long arms might be the ticket. You get a good ride and the dreaded DW is hopefully eliminated.
    Alan
    93' ZJ, 5.2, Clayton 4-link, RE 4.5" lift springs and 1.25" spacers,Bilstein 5100 shocks,285/75x16 BFG AT's, Ox lockers ,231TC, ML headers, Mopar ECU, and K&N FIPK

'03 Rubicon-wifes car

Registered

i totally agree with front only long arms if your going to make a VERY capable rig on 33's with some RE 4.5 coils and then just use a mix or stock/adj arms in the rear.....this is the plan i am leaning towards
    02 WJ Limited
    4.7L - NP231

97 ZJ Laredo
    5.2L - Fullskids
    3.5 RE F>R - Glasspack
    31 TrXus - Black Steelies

-=- originally posted by OptBlackNite -=-
    Why would you not want the LAs in the rear? Is it the $$? Can you buy just the rear at a later time then?
    B/C I got my front LAs for $60 total. When I get the time I will build my rears. Its not that I don't want them, its just that I haven't had time to build them. LAs in the front is still an amazing difference over short arms, esp at 7".
    -Brandon-

-=- originally posted by zjnick -=-
    i totally agree with front only long arms if your going to make a VERY capable rig on 33's with some RE 4.5 coils and then just use a mix or stock/adj arms in the rear.....this is the plan i am leaning towards
    same here...33's and 5-6" is my goal.
    1998/5.9/Claytons/8.8/HP30/36's/halfdoors
    1981/FJ60/2.5OME/33's/Restored
    2004/AudiA4/Sport/BBS/Fast-ish
    2004/WJ/V8/Limited/SkiDuty

Registered

-=- originally posted by Jim Hef -=-
    The front long arms have a drastic effect on the ride and handling of a ZJ, way more than the rears actually. If you can only afford front long arms, its still way better than short arms. cheaping out would be not going long arms at all
    Tim
    94 ZJ I-6 Laredo, Custom Long Arms, 7" 36" TSLs. Hp D44, Ford 9", 4.88s, minispool, Miller locker
    "scars heal, glory fades, and all we're left with are the memories made..."

werd, front longarms is the shiznit rookie beeyotch

Registered

I can vouch for the front long arms, after seeing Brandon's and how well they work, they are a VERY good option. Being that the rear is still limited due to the shorter arms, it causes the front to flex ALOT. Also, the rear end stays planted MUCH better on the steeper hill climbs, adding your traction and getting you up much steeper hills. Plus, the rear end really isnt that stiff if you set it up correctly with the right coils/shocks. Move your axle back enough with the adj. arms and trim a hair or two off the fenders and 35s are not that far away.

Brandon's rig is EXTREMELY capable and for the money that he has put into it, he is able to out wheel someone who spent FAR more than what he did. Really goes to show what a little time and knowledge will do for you.

TOEHEAD

Registered

Very cool man - thanks for jumping in here. I have been thinking about doing this for some time now. It makes TOTAL sense functionality wise, drivability wise and MOENY wise. Excellent idea but I have just now got myself in the financial position to do it but I lost the dran link to them.

Do you still have a good (cheap) source for them on the web as in the link?

Thanks a million,

BP

-=- originally posted by BMRisko -=-
    That was me suggesting Clayton's XJ kit or the RK XJ kit.
    1996 Black V8 ZJ - Clayton 4-Link LA Kit, RE 4.5" Coils, Procomp MT 33x12.5s, 4.56 gears, Adco sway bars, PIAAs, B&M Tranny cooler, Tom Woods shafts, Currie Draglink and TieRod, JKS F/Track Bar, Kevins RP Sliders, Protofab bumpers, Bilstein shocks, Mopar Performance PCM, Mike Leach Headers w/ Carsound Cat + Magnaflow Muffler,
    5.9L engine and 46RE Tranny, M1 Intake Kolak Ignition, 3 Core Radiator, Elec Fan.
    Pic of my ZJ

2002 Black on Black Z06 - TPIS Long tube Headers - YellaTerra Roller Rockers, Ported Manifold, Blackwing Intake, Random Tech CATS + X-Pipe- JL 10s & JL 500 Amp Pic of my Z06

-Brandon-

While we're on the discussion of cheap longarms, i had a questions about making cheap rear longarms. As many of you know i posted a new topic here on JU about sleeving my rear skyjackers. I got alot of help and links to NAGCA, but after some detailed research using those links, i couldnt find much info on "sleeving" fixed control arms. More info on making your own custom arms using box tubing.

So my question is, if i want to sleeve my skyjacker arms, what material should i use to slip over the beefy arm halves?

Thanks,

Patrick

Pat,
    my guess would be, Measure the O.D. of your SJ and get that as an I.D. DOM Tubing.

AW
    My pix
    Cage

ClaytonOffroad
    SolidAxle HP60
    BlueTorch Fab

For all your Amsoil needs... contact Dirk www.4x4oil.com

My Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9DtksKafa8

-=- originally posted by AprilzWarrior -=-
    Pat,
    my guess would be, Measure the O.D. of your SJ and get that as an I.D. DOM Tubing.

AW
    Thanks for stating the obvious, but im more curious as to if this is strong enough? The skyjacker control arm seems like its almost made out of solid barstock, not hollow DOM. Can anyone verify?

Patrick

Wouldn't it be almost as easy to get some DOM and the neccesary hardware and make your own full LA instead of sleeving your current control arms? Seems like if your going through the trouble of sleeving them you should just buy some dom and do the whole thing... maybe im missing something.
    - '94 ZJ V8 - 37" MT/Rs - Clayton 4-link - locked HP44/9" - histeer - 231 - etc, etc, etc *SOLD*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast