Page 17 of 109 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: 'NEW' members thread pic WJ/ZJ'S

holy cow that is a big boat, I thought my 18' runabout was big.

Heres the Jeep, Notice the new drivers side fender.
    also for some reason it looks beige, that was moments after a wash and wax and it got very bright out allova sudden.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    |1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8|Flow Master 40 series|3" Flow Master chrome tip|K&N FIPK intake|
    |Only platinum ZJ with a chrome grille|

Registered

Hi there all_- greetings from Australia! _It's great to find you guys to see a fresh perspective on Jeep stuff. Over here it is very much a secondary brand and doesn't have a strong following like Nissan and Toyota. I'm happy being different!

After nearly 20 years of offroading, late last year I decided to cross the "non-Japanese" barrier and so I bought a Jeep. I never really considered one before, but had been invited out on a weekend sponsored by Daimler Chrysler and was offered a drive of the new common rail diesel "CRD" with a 2.7L Mercedes inline 5-cyl with variable geometry turbocharger and intercooler. I understand that this model isn't available over there.... which is a pity! US drivers still seem to think that all diesels are cumbersome, smelly, slow and smokey. Not this one. It burns cleaner than most petrol engines, has nearly as much power - has more torque for the capacity and is far cheaper to run in day to day traffic.

Fuel pressure in the common rail is up around the 23,000psi mark - pretty high-tech. I had never been interested in the V8's with the fuel prices in Australia being what they are these days. The model we get over here, by the way, is called the "WG" - not "WJ". The "G" stands for the Graz, Austria plant - which is where all RHD variants are produced.

I was, I have to say, blown away. It is the most tractible sub-3litre diesel I had ever driven. Mated to the Merc 5-speed auto it was a delight to drive. It could light up the tyres exiting a service station, and yet could idle up the steepest inclines with that assuring diesel clatter. 400nm of torque at low-ish revs is a really nice thing to have on tap. I don't give a hoot about outright power so much.... but 120kw is pretty decent. The auto box is the smoothest gearbox I have ever driven - bar none. Gear changes are imperceptable. Another nice trick that I found in this box is that, while in low range, you can head up a very steep incline and let your foot off the accelerator - and the box locks up and the car just sits there - stopped like a Patrol or Landy on a transmission handbrake. Same for reverse. Downhill engine braking is really very good for an auto too. A nice slow crawl with the box locked in 1st low.

I have had it now for nearly 6 months and not a thing has gone wrong apart from the front diff which was fixed without question under warranty. It gets me about 9 litres/100k's, which is somewhat better than my petrol Patrol.

I now have an ARB bar, Old Man Emu heavy duty springs and NitroCharger shocks, Outback Interiors roller drawers, GME TX3400 UHF, ARB air compressor, Garmin GPS-III, Cooper Discoverer ST 245's, and LightForce spotties on the front. Oh - and a South African EeziAwn rooftop tent on the rack and a 47litre fridge in the back on the fridge slide.

It is a great tourer, and i won't be beefing it up any more than it is. After always being wary of non-Japanese brands, this one has surprised me. The fact that is built in Graz, Austria in the Unimog/Haflinger factory is the icing on the cake. I'm keen to build a snorkel for it as both Safari and AirTec won't be doing any due to the volume (or lack thereof). I'll also be sticking in an AirLocker up front (Dana30) and one down back when I can replace the darned aluminium-cased Dana44a. Apart from that, I'm really enjoying driving our new addition.

2003 Grand Cherokee CRD Laredo V/G Turbo Diesel

ARB winch bullbar
    LightForce 240 Blitz spotties
    ARB OME heavy duty springs and Nitrocharger shocks
    Chrysler/Jeep 3500kg tow bar
    4WD Interiors Outback roller drawers and fridge slide
    GME TX3400 remote head UHF CB
    Garmin GPS-III
    ARB Compressor under rear left seat
    EvaKool DT47 Fridge with separate freezer
    Cooper 245/75R16 x 4

Registered

Chrispy- It must be said.

G'DAY MATE!

Heh, welcome to the forums. Glad to hear there's support for the Grands down under. The rig looks great, I'm sure you'll enjoy your "WG"
    -Captain Crash

95 Grand Cherokee Laredo - KOR 2.125" BB, 31's, ARB Bull Bar, Milemarker winch, OEM front skid, JKS disco's, Surco Roof Rack, APC Offroad Lights on the roof, Baja lights on the bumper - "The Rooster" :boidchic:

Banned

Man, what I wouldn't give to get my hands on one of those WG's. You guys get all the good stuff... the 2.7L Diesel (Makes 295 ft-lbs @ 1800 rpm... thats the same amount of torque as the V8, but at a lower rpm, and it gets 35 mpg), rear fog lights, power folding mirrors, proper headlights, etc etc...

You guys are so lucky... there are many north americans who drool over the 2.7L, trust me.

Registered

-=- originally posted by Tim Michaels -=-
    Chrispy- It must be said.

G'DAY MATE!

Heh, welcome to the forums. Glad to hear there's support for the Grands down under. The rig looks great, I'm sure you'll enjoy your "WG"
    Thanks Tim! Good to be here!!

So we call them "Wobbly-Gees"... not "Wobbly-Jays" like you guys

ARB winch bullbar
    Garmin GPS-III
    Cooper 245/75R16 x 4

Registered

-=- originally posted by got_yogurt -=-
    Man, what I wouldn't give to get my hands on one of those WG's. You guys get all the good stuff... the 2.7L Diesel (Makes 295 ft-lbs @ 1800 rpm... thats the same amount of torque as the V8, but at a lower rpm, and it gets 35 mpg), rear fog lights, power folding mirrors, proper headlights, etc etc...

You guys are so lucky... there are many north americans who drool over the 2.7L, trust me.
    Mate - I remember talking to you about the rear fogs some time ago... and at that stage I didn't even know that I had them! Now, I've had the opportunity to test them in some really thick fog down near our weekender in the Australian Alps. They work great! They are also veru useful in a convoy along a dusty road - which we have lots of because of our severe drought.

How are your rear foggies going? Did you ever get them in?

Yeah... I bet a few of you guys would like to see the CRD over there. Why don't you petition D-C?

What did you mean about the "proper headlights"? I thought that they'd all be the same. I've just come back indoors from fitting Sylvania 9005XS CB (cool blue) low and 9006XS ST/2 (blue as well) high-beam bulbs - and WOW! ...what a difference! Brilliant white light - and coupled to the LightForce spotties, I reckon that it seriously scorches the road surface at over a mile away.

Cheers
    Chris

ARB winch bullbar
    Garmin GPS-III
    Cooper 245/75R16 x 4

Here's my overland with a recently completed lift. Sorry, I don't have any before pictures. Also, please excuse the shine on the tires. I just got them, and figured they deserved to look nice just once. They'll be deep in mud soon enough.

Thank you to everyone on this board who gave me adivce on what parts to get!
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    OME HD Springs, Pro-comp MX6 shocks, Extreme-Engineering Custom spring spacers, Bridgestone A/T Revos (265/65/17's), and other parts to make it all gel!

man, I should live not in the US... want a diesel GC bad..g

[IMG]http://img3.*******/img3/4332/Untitled-214.jpg[/IMG]

Poser shot I know, but I just waxed it.

Registered

ed(win)
    95' ZJ 5.2L V8
    former vw corrado g60

Hello all,

After a few weeks of browsing and reading posts, I decided it's time to introduce myself.

I recently bought a 96 ZJ Laredo, 4.0 engine with 140K miles on it.

Plans include BFG MT's 235/75R15 some auxiliary lights, skids.... you know, few things to make it off road.

I'll keep on reading and learning, and if there's something I can do for you from here, just let me know

Best Regards
    Santiago
    96 ZJ 4.0
    Madrid (Spain)

Registered

Finally got the picture hosting thing figured out.

Just purchased a "new" used 04 GC Laredo w/ 9500 miles. Had to have a couple of things fixed the day after I picked it up but it's been a joy ever since. My other baby is a 1948 CJ2a (the red one) which I saved up for for years and finally found one about 4 years ago. It stays dry in the winter and get's driven in the summer. 56 years apart but all Jeep!

[IMG]http://img15.*******/img15/2535/GC.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://img17.*******/img17/571/2a4.jpg[/IMG]
    If u c4n r34d th1s u r3411y n33d t0 g37 141d

48 CJ2a/04 GCL

Smile

My '97 ZJ I purchased 2 weeks ago.
    Live everyday like it's your last, 'cause eventually you'll be right!

finally have something worthy of a post...

update: now rolling on 245/75/16 MTR's on bring bring 5.9 rims...

Registered

here be mine:

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo
    -2" BB Spacers
    -upcountry coils
    -full skid plates
    -front tow hooks
    -4 KC Daylights across the top
    -Sportrack roofrack
    -Cobra CB 75WXST
    -Marshal M/T's
    -Rancho RSX17000's in all 4 corners
    -BDS Steering Stabilizer (I crushed my rancho stabilizer )

Ryan

Registered

94zj
    bb
    31s
    pic took at uharrie national forest in Troy. NC
    Grant
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/gthaefner415
    94zj ,3.5 RE superflex,242 swap, hp30,8.8, locked and geared

Registered

94zj
    bb
    31s
    pic took at uharrie national forest in Troy. NC
    Grant

T-CASE SWAP IN PROGRESS
    94zj ,3.5 RE superflex,242 swap, hp30,8.8, locked and geared

Here's mine I got 2 weeks ago

1998 ZJ Limited 5.2 V8 Platinum - 245/70/16 BFG All Terrains, Addco bars, Edelbrock IAS

Canada's Largest Online Jeep Community
    http://www.jeepkings.ca

nice ride Toogy. have you had any problems with that tire size? do they rub at all?

No rubbing at all, I was going to get 245/75 and I imagine they would have rubbed a little bit, but the 245/70 fit great.
    1998 ZJ Limited 5.2 V8 Platinum - 245/70/16 BFG All Terrains, Addco bars, Edelbrock IAS

Canada's Largest Online Jeep Community
    http://www.jeepkings.ca

Page 17 of 109 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 67 ... LastLast