Thread: Need wiring diagram of horn circuit 1989 YJ

Registered

Exclamation Need wiring diagram of horn circuit 1989 YJ

Put a new ign lock into the Jeep and figured I try fixing the horn as well....seems I need the little spring loaded terminal on the horn right...anyway I can get the relay to click now but I have no idea what color the wire is that goes to the horn as there is no wire there...just a horn on the left inside fender...can someone post a pic with wiring colors on the horn circuit...still trying to find a good factory manual.

Thanks!
    Ken
    1989 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, 5sp, 35" BFG AT tires on 15x10" rims, 4.75" lift (3.5+1.25") TJ 6" Fender Flares, 3" nerf bars, Currie HD front bumper, 4.88 Front & Rear Gears w/fac posi, 130 amp alt., Two Procomp 100 Watt Driving lamps. IPF Lens w/Daniel Stern's 100/130 watt clear bulbs & w/homemade Relay/Wiring Kit. Soon to add: 2" BL, Dual Simi Air Horns 150psi

I'll check mine later today.... the harness that runs down the left inside fender that goes to the headlights has the horn wire in it. You might pull off the loom and see if it is cut and just stuck inside.

Registered

-=- originally posted by igotdoo -=-
    I'll check mine later today.... the harness that runs down the left inside fender that goes to the headlights has the horn wire in it. You might pull off the loom and see if it is cut and just stuck inside.
    I did check the loom but did not check up further...if I knew the horn wire color that would help...I did a check with the horn on and was not getting any power to any of the wires....another question...is this a one or two wire setup on the horn?

Thanks!

Ken
    1989 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, 5sp, 35" BFG AT tires on 15x10" rims, 4.75" lift (3.5+1.25") TJ 6" Fender Flares, 3" nerf bars, Currie HD front bumper, 4.88 Front & Rear Gears w/fac posi, 130 amp alt., Two Procomp 100 Watt Driving lamps. IPF Lens w/Daniel Stern's 100/130 watt clear bulbs & w/homemade Relay/Wiring Kit. Soon to add: 2" BL, Dual Simi Air Horns 150psi

One wire setup. Horn gets ground from the fender. Horn only works when the ignition key is on.

PM me tonight. I have te FSM and my Jeep outside right now. As igotdoo says, it is a one wire setup with ground from the fender.
    user formerly known as GT's Baby's Daddy
    89 YJ with lot's of stuff
    94 ZJ not much stuff (gone - so long old friend)

Why do I have all these extra pieces lying around?

Registered

Got it figured out guys! Forgot that our Toyota Dealer next to us has a on line All-Data

Found the Big Gray wire to the horn...guy cut it where the loom tees off to the washer pump...maybe is got stuck on?! Also got the horn switch McGivered Used a spring out of a Bic pen and sodiered a 4" piece of wire to one end, cut out the end of a rubber vac plug and trimed it a bit so it would push down the horn ring tube...applied a drop of super glue so it would stay in place...ran the wire up through the adapter and hooked that to the Grant steering wheel and horn contact terminal...still not clicking the relay?...figured out that you need to rub off the paint/anadizing where the horn plate makes contact to ground...scraped off three 1/4" areas and that fixed it...hooked up the horn..it works!!!!

Got to upgrade the horn soon as it's a high note horn..yikes! Maybe some air horns...I'd love to install some Diesel truck air horns...yeah get out of my way sucker!

Ken

anyone know what gauge the gray wire to the horn is?

btw, i have seen horns with multiple wire terminals although my 90yj had only one, so i guess that means i need to replace my horn with a one wire terminal as well...
    1990 Wrangler YJ (White) - 4 Banger.
    2 inch body lift
    32 inch Falken tires
    Sony CDX-GT420IP
    Infinity 5.25s (Centrapod)
    Alpine 9x6 (Thor Sound Wedges)
    Pioneer Amp

Quote Originally Posted by 89Wrangler View Post
    Got it figured out guys! Forgot that our Toyota Dealer next to us has a on line All-Data

Found the Big Gray wire to the horn...guy cut it where the loom tees off to the washer pump...maybe is got stuck on?! Also got the horn switch McGivered Used a spring out of a Bic pen and sodiered a 4" piece of wire to one end, cut out the end of a rubber vac plug and trimed it a bit so it would push down the horn ring tube...applied a drop of super glue so it would stay in place...ran the wire up through the adapter and hooked that to the Grant steering wheel and horn contact terminal...still not clicking the relay?...figured out that you need to rub off the paint/anadizing where the horn plate makes contact to ground...scraped off three 1/4" areas and that fixed it...hooked up the horn..it works!!!!

Got to upgrade the horn soon as it's a high note horn..yikes! Maybe some air horns...I'd love to install some Diesel truck air horns...yeah get out of my way sucker!

Ken

as to "the horn ring tube" can't i hardwire the connector to this? does it need the spring in there? isn't it only necessary that that metal hits metal in this section? i ask because i bought a grant wheel and it doesn't use this spring behing the hub the same way the OEM steering wheel/horn did...did you experience this as well?

as for chipping the paint away, i will look into that, thanks...
    2 inch body lift
    32 inch Falken tires
    Sony CDX-GT420IP
    Pioneer Amp

Quote Originally Posted by toddhamlin View Post
    anyone know what gauge the gray wire to the horn is?

btw, i have seen horns with multiple wire terminals although my 90yj had only one, so i guess that means i need to replace my horn with a one wire terminal as well...
    16 or 14 guage I believe.
    user formerly known as GT's Baby's Daddy
    89 YJ with lot's of stuff
    94 ZJ not much stuff (gone - so long old friend)

Why do I have all these extra pieces lying around?

From 1995 YJ FSM

Unsure if this helps with a 1989 but it may be similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    95 YJ 4.0 -- GM 700R4 4 Speed -- NP231C/J HD
    4.5 RE Lift -- 33' BFG ATs on M/T Classics
    Extra Short SYE -- 4.11 D30 and LS 8.8 -- 1" Body Lift and MM Lift

97 XJ Sport - Stock

still not clicking the relay?...figured out that you need to rub off the paint/anadizing where the horn plate makes contact to ground...scraped off three 1/4" areas and that fixed it...hooked up the horn..it works!!!!

Ken[/QUOTE]

Are the three areas you sdcraped off on the wheel itself, just the part that is covered? What did you use to scrape off paint, I hooked my horn up and it worked, then when i got the wheel on and put the horn button on, it then didn't work...
    2 inch body lift
    32 inch Falken tires
    Sony CDX-GT420IP
    Pioneer Amp