Thread: 4.7 to 4.7 HO, anyone do this upgrade?

Registered

Icon313 4.7 to 4.7 HO, anyone do this upgrade?

Hey everyone, I got rid of my 95 ZJ and entered the world of the WJ with a 1999 4.7 Liter with Quadra drive. I have seen a few sites offering the cams and intake which come on the newer 4.7 HO motors, has ayone ventured to install these cams and intakes and what kind of reults, and how difficult was the install? The sites are claiming about 30 HP gain which isn't too shabby. I still have under 30,000 miles on my 4.7 so I'm a little nervous to tear down the engine. Anyones and everyone opinons are suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Steve
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.2, 4x4. Mopar Perormance Computer. 3 Inch Warp Speed Performace exhaust. Jacobs S/P Wires. 5 Rancho RS5000 Shocks. Energy Suspension Polyurethane sway bar bushings. *SOLD*

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all stock. *SOLD*

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 4.7 HO, K&N Filter, thats all for now.

Registered

30k on a 99 is exelent check Jeeps Unlimited I seen a whole 4.7HO on ebay it has like 9k on it for 1,300 Without computer.

Registered

The camshaft installation is not nearly as diificult as a 5.2 or 5.9 since the 4.7 is an overhead camshaft design. The power gains are easily noticeable as are the gains from the intake. All-in-all, highly worthwhile mods!
    1993 ZJ 5.2: Heavily modded. Currently on display to illustrate how entropy effects the universe.

1998 ZJ 5.9: 18" Tecnomagnesio Rallye wheels, Yokohama AVS S/T tires, all the Kolak goodies, various Mopar/Addco/Edelbrock/Kevin's/Stillen/JKS/K&N stuff. Abstract keying job courtesy of neighborhood hoodlums.

They are good mods for your 4.7L

But they won't net you what a 4.7LHO actually puts out. The 4.7LHO runs a compression ratio that is higher and uses different pistons and stronger internals as well as a # of other things.

check out www.wjjeeps.com for exact differences.

Registered

Default Re: 4.7 to 4.7 HO, anyone do this upgrade?

Hi Steve.

Do you mind sharing those sites that offer these H.O. cams/intake for the 4.7L. I might be interested in doing something like this sometime in the future.

Thanks,
    Francis

-=- originally posted by SteveSkal -=-
    Hey everyone, I got rid of my 95 ZJ and entered the world of the WJ with a 1999 4.7 Liter with Quadra drive. I have seen a few sites offering the cams and intake which come on the newer 4.7 HO motors, has ayone ventured to install these cams and intakes and what kind of reults, and how difficult was the install? The sites are claiming about 30 HP gain which isn't too shabby. I still have under 30,000 miles on my 4.7 so I'm a little nervous to tear down the engine. Anyones and everyone opinons are suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Steve
    2001WJ Limited Silverstone/Agate; QuadraDrive; HO Cam'd 4.7L V8; 28K Package; Trailer Tow IV
    Current Mods: :burnzout:
    Moda R6 with 275/55R18 Michelin Cross Terrains; ProComp MX6; K&N FIPK + RamIT;
    Fastman 68mm TB; Mopar Tow Hooks; Mopar Muffler; Kolak (Leach) 3" Tailpipe; Angelus Tip;
    Addco Rear Sway Bar; Stillen Cross-drilled Rotors and Metal Matrix Pads; Rancho RS5409 SS; 9006 PIAA Star White Lows; 9005 Sylvania Silverstars Highs/Fogs
    2001 WJ Photos

Other Car: 2005 A4 B6 1.8T Quattro. Stock for now.........

E-mail to Kolak@aol.com and he can get you any info you need for the parts. They're Mopar parts that can be swapped with the standard V8 pieces.

Registered

Looked around and found some info but looks like moderate surgery is involved

Called dealer and was quoted 8hrs!

If I only have enough courage to do open surgery. Maybe just an intake kit for me for now.

Very good option though.
    2001WJ Limited Silverstone/Agate; QuadraDrive; HO Cam'd 4.7L V8; 28K Package; Trailer Tow IV
    Fastman 68mm TB; Mopar Tow Hooks; Mopar Muffler; Kolak (Leach) 3" Tailpipe; Angelus Tip;
    Addco Rear Sway Bar; Stillen Cross-drilled Rotors and Metal Matrix Pads; Rancho RS5409 SS; 9006 PIAA Star White Lows; 9005 Sylvania Silverstars Highs/Fogs
    2001 WJ Photos

Registered

how much is the camshaft for the HO it sounds like a worthwhile mod to the 4.7 how hard would installation be. ?

Registered

I've seen prices quoted at buymopar but I believe kolak can also get these parts. The prices are pretty good for the HP gain but it's the install that scares me. The Dak forums even had groupbuys for the camshafts and the intake manifold which from what I've read so far, has to go together to realize good gains.

Oooohhhh! Can't imagine the FIPK, HO camshaft/intake manifold and free-flow exhaust would do the the 4.7L.
    2001 WJ Photos

Registered

As requested my friends, here is a link to the site that sells the cams and intake, and at what I feel is a very reasonable price. http://www.buymopar.com/store/jeep.html. I probably will be contacting Kolak for the 3 inch exhaust for this bad boy too. What about "flashing" the ECU, I have heard about this but don't know much about it, my last Jeep I was able to get the entire Mopar performance computer which worked nicely. I may attempt this HO upgrade, I have changed cams on small block Fords and Chevy's so this shouldn't be all that difficult (I hope).
    1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.2, 4x4. Mopar Perormance Computer. 3 Inch Warp Speed Performace exhaust. Jacobs S/P Wires. 5 Rancho RS5000 Shocks. Energy Suspension Polyurethane sway bar bushings. *SOLD*

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee, all stock. *SOLD*

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 4.7 HO, K&N Filter, thats all for now.

Registered

I bought them over a year ago from Nick (kolak) for like $120 or was it $130 for both of them. It should only take like 4hrs but I was quoted the same 8hrs to do it from the dealer. I found a good dealer in Manhattan, KS (briggs jeep) and they did it for only 4hrs labor and it makes quite a bit of difference in lowend power. I bought the HO intake but still haven't installed it. Thats suppose to bump the RPM range up a few hundred RPM's. They are right about not being the same as the true HO but I prefer not having the higher compression so i can now run a kenne bell supercharger if I wanted and it would be less prone to ping. I also run the 180 degree thermastat and a fastman throttle body on top of the kolak exhaust and K&N intake. If you do the same things you'll be happy, infact I have less than $1100 in parts and i'm happy and yet to install the HO intake.
    99 WJ, HO cams, 255/75R16's, K&N, 180 degree thermastat, BB's, Arb bullbar, trailready rear, 315/75r16's and 8" valley springs, claytons later this year.

I have never done the upgrade to a HO cam, but I have removed and reinstalled a few camshafts in the 4.7l. The key to the repair is the tool that holds the timing chain tensioner. Miller tool #8350 timing chain tensioner wedge. Just do only one camshaft at a time and keep the tensioner held in place with the wedge. To reinstall the cam gear, use channel lock pliers to rotate the camshaft into position once the bearing caps are torqued down, but be careful. Not a very difficult job to do once you get the valve covers off.

Bryan
    96 XJ 01 WJ

Registered

Icon313

KRC is offering a new 206 cam for the 4.7 its supposed to be worth almost another 20hp over the H.O. cams. Does anyone know if this kit comes with an intake manifold and if not could you slap the mopar H.O. intkae manifold on, in conjuction with the KRC cams and get a decent gain? Also jwbronco, how much did the install of your H.O. cams cost to install?
    01' WJ Limited 4.7L V8 Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat, 10-disc, leather, sunroof, 18" chrome rims, Tow Pkcg, chrome WildcatFlash nerf bars, Stull Diamond Wire chrome grill, Euro Clear Headlights and Corners, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra White Xenon bulbs for highs, lows, and fogs, custom Flowmaster 50-series exhaust, twin 4" APC outlet exhaust tips, custom aluminum intake with 9" conical K&N racing filter, Pilot Motorsports Aluminum Racing Pedals, custom front 20% window tint, roof rack cross bar delete
    Future Mods: 70mm bored TB

Registered

something like 180 give or take a bit. Its been awhile and I don't really remember but it was 4 hrs labor
    99 WJ, HO cams, 255/75R16's, K&N, 180 degree thermastat, BB's, Arb bullbar, trailready rear, 315/75r16's and 8" valley springs, claytons later this year.