Thread: Currie Antirock Installation Question

Default Currie Antirock Installation Question

Is the antirock system compatible with an OME suspension upgrade, or is it only designed for higher lifts? Reason I ask, is that when we measured from the center hole on arm to hole on mount point on front end housing, we got only 8 inches, which seemed like we would cut off so much from the links that hardly any thread was left. Currie says nothing about minimum lift in their instructions, or their sales literature. Help us with this.

Registered

Did you measure by splitting the difference and cutting on both sides of the rod instead of trimming it all off one side?

Thanks for the quick reply. We have not cut as yet, but we did measure for cutting off both sides of the rod, and it left very few threads. Do you know if this system is designed to include OME lifts? And would our problem be solved if we only used the number 2 position (from the very end)?

Registered

I have the Antirock system installed on my Rubi which has the OME HD suspension system. You will have to cut the threaded rods in order to bring the arms to the proper angle.
    03 Inca Gold Rubi 5sp - OME 2" HD Coil Suspension system, Currie AntiRock, 15 x 8 AR 767 w/4" BS, 33 x 12.5 BFG AT's, 1.25 JKS BL, MORE 1" MML, Warn 8274-50, MG Dual Battery Setup, Hellroaring Battery MGT system,Nth Degree Engine Skid, Skid Row Steering Skid, JKS Adj Front Trackbar, B&M Short Throw, Monroe Magnum Stabilzer, Skyjacker TC linkage adapter,Warn Diff Gaurds, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Tuffy Rear Security Drawer, Garvin Internal Cargo Rack. Medic TC Skid. HAD Driveshaft, JKS Rear UCA's

Registered

forgot to add that I have my arms at an 11 degree angle. Some people say to make them parallel with the frame. Mine are just slightly higher than parallel. Hope that helps.

I think I cut about an 1 1/4 inches from each side of the rod. Don't quote me on this as I can't remember exaclty.

I also have the heim joints connected to the middle hole on the control arms. If you want more flex then install joints on the very last hole toward the back of the jeep.
    03 Inca Gold Rubi 5sp - OME 2" HD Coil Suspension system, Currie AntiRock, 15 x 8 AR 767 w/4" BS, 33 x 12.5 BFG AT's, 1.25 JKS BL, MORE 1" MML, Warn 8274-50, MG Dual Battery Setup, Hellroaring Battery MGT system,Nth Degree Engine Skid, Skid Row Steering Skid, JKS Adj Front Trackbar, B&M Short Throw, Monroe Magnum Stabilzer, Skyjacker TC linkage adapter,Warn Diff Gaurds, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Tuffy Rear Security Drawer, Garvin Internal Cargo Rack. Medic TC Skid. HAD Driveshaft, JKS Rear UCA's

John, you placed your arms 11 degrees higher in relation to the frame (not the ground)? The frame is straight for the first few inches, and then curves. Do you mean in relation to the centerline of the frame member?

Couldn't you buy threaded rod at Home Depot and replace the one that came with the AR?

Thumbs up

I have them both on my TJ and I think they work rather well together.
    2000 TJ Sport w/ 1.25" JKS body lift, 2.5" HD OME suspension lift, 1" Go-Fer-It motor mount spacers, Currie Anti-Rock Swaybar, Skid Row steering and engine skids, Kilby gas tank skid, 32x11.5 GY MTRs, OR Fab roll cage, Warn 9.5ti, ARB Bullbar and some other stuff.

-=- originally posted by Rob Munro -=-
    Couldn't you buy threaded rod at Home Depot and replace the one that came with the AR?
    You could....the Currie links have both right and left hand threads (which make it easy to adjust). The Home Depot rod would not provide you with that feature.
    Stu's '98TJ Sahara
    ARB Locked & Loaded
    www.stu-offroad.com

-=- originally posted by Rob Munro -=-
    I suppose that I could, but I would be reluctant to modify their system without knowing what effect it might have. I plan to keep the system permanently set in the second hole, which would be only one away from the best offroad position, so perhaps the thread situation would only be an issue if I were to set it in the maximum street-use position, which I will never do. I had bad luck with a Currie adjustable track bar in the past, not thru any defect in the product, but because it was designed for lifts that were greater than 3" (anything less ran the risk of striking the pumpkin), and yet their product info said nothing about this limitation. Did not make me happy at all. I just don't want to repeat that same mistake.

Registered

Dave,

I have the arms 11 degrees in relation to the ground. You definalty wilol have to cut the threaded rods. I ran this system for a week without my OME lift and did not want to cut the rod until I had the lift totally installed and had the height of the frame stabilized. The arms were at a 16 degree angle from the ground which is way to much and would provide poor flex. Once I cut the rods it fit perfectly.

John, how did you get it to be set at 11 degrees? Is there an easy way to do this? My main concern about cutting the rods was that it seemed that they needed to be cut so far down that hardly enough thread remained. And it made me wonder if Curry intended this system to be for use with an OME lift. I will give the 11 degree suggestion a try if you can tell me how to best go about it.

Registered

I just ordered the AntiRock through Jason, I explained to them that I currently have the OME lift however down the road may go higher. They suggested I go to a hardware store and buy the proper length ALL THREAD and use that saving THEIR all thread for later. Frankly, they didnt mention the left hand/right hand thread situation and I didnt know to ask. (no one in our club has the ANTIROCK so I am not that familiar with it). I wonder if Currie would sell their all thread seperately if one needed to switch? john

Registered

Icon312

You're right, that the supplied links are too short for the OME lift..
    I ran the Currie A/R with the OME lift that I had on my Jeep way back.
    You have several options.

- Probably the least expensive is to buy a 1/2" x 20 RH die. When you cut your links to size, cut only the end with the regular 1/2" threads.. After you have the links cut to size, re-thread the end that you cut using the 1/2 x 20 die.

- Buy a stick of 1/2" x 20 allthread. This will be all right have, of course. Buy 2 1/2" x 20 RH studded rod ends. You can get those from places like Graingers, McMaster Carr, etc... Cut the allthread to length, and simple replace the 2 LH studded rod ends that came with the A/R with the new RH studded rod ends that you've purchased.

Fred
    Fred Wilson
    Base - '98 Sahara, 4.0L 6 cyl, Auto (swap from 5 sp)
    Suspension - 4.0" Procomp Springs + 1 1/4" JKS body lift.
    Rear tri-link. Currie J arms in the rear.
    HPD30, front axle, With Currie J-Arms, WJ knuckles, WJ dual piston calibers, Warn Hub Kit, with Warn inners, and CTM u-joints. Cross over, hi-steer.
    Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar.
    Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44 (rear disk conversion); LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
    Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
    Armor - Full
    Wheels - 35x12.50 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
    Recovery - Warn XD9000i

Registered

I used an angle finder I bought from HD. It was about 10 bucks and it has a magnetic strip on the bottom so when you put it on the Antirock Arm and make adjustments it stays in place. Hope that helps

John

I am trying to figure out where the 11 degree thing comes from.

Basically you want to set the arms just slightly above parallel to the ground. Parallel is ideal, but that typically places the arm in a less than desireable position when the tires turn and run into the arm.

I just checked my front arms and they are at 5 degrees and I have zero issues.

The other reason for setting them above parallel is to not limit droop or to keep from inverting the links on a big whoop. If you can droop out your front suspension completely and the links are still slightly angled to the arms, you should be fine. What you don't want to do is have the links pull straight and take a chance of inverting them.

I have run links as short as 6" and as long as 14" depending on what I was doing with the mounts.

I have also run an AR on a stock suspension just to prove it could be done by fabbing shorter links.

Another way to make a link is to get some tube with a .120 wall and a .500 ID and weld two short sections of all thread in there or take a 1/2" bolt and cut the head off and slide it into the tube and plug weld it.

The links for the rear AR are actually just threaded tube with male threads on the rod ends.

mrblaine, that 11 degrees does not appear in Currie instructions, but I did find it in this writeup--- http://www.darksiderz.co.uk/technical/car/

If possible, to keep things simple, I would just like to cut down Currie's rods, and go with that. Seems to me that if I operate it only on the number two hole (offroad), then I might just get by with it. I do not plan to use the on-road positions. My main concern is that this system will work adequetely on a minimal lift, such as my OME with heavy duty springs. Do you think this will work, if I keep it only on the number 2 hole?

-=- originally posted by mrblaine -=-
    I am trying to figure out where the 11 degree thing comes from.

Basically you want to set the arms just slightly above parallel to the ground. Parallel is ideal, but that typically places the arm in a less than desireable position when the tires turn and run into the arm.
    Blaine, I wish I could remember too, because that is how I set up my AR last fall. And there is no way I can argue with the results of doing it that way (although I am not saying that setting it up another way would not have yielded results that were just as favorable).
    Stu's '98TJ Sahara
    ARB Locked & Loaded
    www.stu-offroad.com

Registered

Stu's write-up is where I got the info.

Great Write-up Stu! It was a big help when I installed mine

My thanks to everyone who helped out with this question.