Thread: AC compressor isn't compressing - do I need a recharge?

Registered

Default AC compressor isn't compressing - do I need a recharge?

The AC isn't working in my Cherokee, and hasn't for quite a while. I'm pretty sure when it's turned on the compressor doesn't do anything, and the electric fan does not come on. (it comes on when it gets hot though) Am I correct that the compressor won't come on if it's low on refrigerant? Is there any way for me to test that that is what is wrong?

the ac compressor should come on even with no freon in it..if it dont then thats not the problem...you may need a new ac clutch or the electric fuse may be blown...check it all
    The artist formerly known as XJNATION

LIFE IS AN OBSTACLE...GET OVER IT

Registered

Isn't there a pressure switch that prevents the compressor from compressing when there isn't enough pressure?

not in the 88 system...In order to fill the system it has to be running
    The artist formerly known as XJNATION

LIFE IS AN OBSTACLE...GET OVER IT

Banned

ummm..there IS a pressure switch....an AC compressor running with no oil circulating means BOOM.....

Look for two wires coming off of a plug on the ACCUMLATOR, it looks like a big 1 liter bottle...short the two wires with a jumper, and turn the car to run....NOT START! with wires jumpered turn on AC you should hear a nice loud CLICK from the com,pressor. that means the clutch is working....un jumper the connector, start car, and then jump the wires again..the center of the compressor pulley should spin..QUICKLY unhook the jumper after you see the center turning.

if this works you need a recharge.

Aaron

Registered

storydude is right! You might need to swap it to 134a if its an 88
    88 XJ Limited
    Cooling conversion 3 row
    5.0 19lb injectors
    tomken tow hooks
    4" Rubicon lift
    RS9000X shocks
    31 Xterrains on Eagle rims

Registered

Icon314

Have you, by chance, checked the operating pressures for the AC system? If you have a set of gauges for R12/R134a, hook them up and run your system and watch the gauges. If the gauges read zero before you even start the engine, you probably have a leak somewhere. Have it taken to a good AC shop or find someone able to put the system in a 30 inch vacuum for 15 minutes and watch the gauges for movement. If the low-side gauges moves at all, you have a leak somewhere. There are a couple of ways you can go about finding the leak in the system. One way is to recharge the system with the appropriate refrigerant and add UV AC dye to thte system and run the system allowing the dye to circulate through the system and use a UV light to look for leaks in the system. Depending on what type of dye you use. look for the appropriate color (usually yellow uner the light) .

Yet another method is to use compressed nitrogen at a pressure of 250 psi and look for where the nitrogen is escaping the system.

Once you find the leak, repair it, convert if you want to (prolly a good idea if you've evaced the system already), r/r the drier and recharge and operate the system.

Just a few tips and ideas form someone who's done a few AC jobs of late :P
    No Jeeps in the Family anymore!!

In the market still for 87-94 XJ/MJ 4X4