Thread: light/third brake light wiring on a TJ

Icon312 light/third brake light wiring on a TJ

I am trying to come up with a way to wire a light to the center of the spare. I've seen rigs with a light here but how do you wire it? I don't want to have a loose wire in the way every time I open the tailgate. Is there any way to run it through the wiring for the 3rd brake light, that doesn't make it come on every time you brake (that would get annoying for the people behind me...although maybe a good deterent for tailgaters ). Any thoughts...? Thanks

Registered

Default I did it ...

I just did this, although the only reason I did it was to prep my vehicle for shipment to Germany.

I bought the Sun Performance kit at Quadratec and mounted it behind my spare. Basically it is a mini-receiver hitch that sticks out the hole in the middle of the spare.

I next bought a cheap brake light at Advanced Auto and mounted it to the Sun performance kit. Underneath your rear passenger corner is a plastic shroud; pull the rear fastener out to gain access to the wires. From this access point, I pulled the two third brake light wires out of their rubber connectors. Those two wires will power your third brake light.

I connected those wires to the brake light using a four foot long "jumper" with a two-wire trailer connector at each end. Make sure and solder/heat shrink all your connections.
    -----------
    To save some money, I'd go with this product: http://www.raingler.com/shop/product...?productID=146

If you bought this, you wouldn't have to buy the Sun Performance kit.

Dave
    2002 TJ

Default Re: light/third brake light wiring on a TJ

-=- originally posted by 1jeepstud -=-
    I am trying to come up with a way to wire a light to the center of the spare. I've seen rigs with a light here but how do you wire it? I don't want to have a loose wire in the way every time I open the tailgate. Is there any way to run it through the wiring for the 3rd brake light, that doesn't make it come on every time you brake (that would get annoying for the people behind me...although maybe a good deterent for tailgaters ). Any thoughts...? Thanks
    You could disable the third brake light and wire it only to an on/off switch.

Just a thought.
    FOR SALE
    01 TJ 4.0L Silver Sport, 5 speed & D-44

AJ
    http://AllJeepProducts.com
    aj@AllJeepProducts.com

I have figured it out...the two contacts on the right side of the tailgate, one is hot(top) one is ground (bottom)...duh. I am gonna move the ground to somewhere outa sight inside the plastic housing on the tailgate. Rewire the old ground contact as hot from a switch and connect an offroad light mounted in the center of the spare. So I'll have a clean install with no wires showing. I took my voltmeter out last night and it will work.

I have been thinking of the same type of thing. I know have a 35" spare on my home built swingout bumper. I no longer have the 3rd brake light. I was planning on having both a 3rd brake light and another reverse light in the middle of the spare. The brake light on top and the reverse light on the bottom on some sort of quick disconnet mount and quick disconnect wiring.
    1998 mostly stock TJ Sport :pablo: