Thread: Oil leak around the head gasket?????

Registered

Default Oil leak around the head gasket?????

Hey guys it seems I have a oil leak around the right side of my engine. The oil seems to come from the head gasket area all along the side of the engine. The valve cover is clean and is not leaking and I can see no other place where it is leaking. Is this common, I thought most of the ports in the head were for coolant. could it be maybe just an oil port that is leaking... has some one else had this problem???? I had trucks blow head gaskets but I don't recall one leaking oil around it???????

Help!!
    Jeep Sahara TJ- OME HD Lift, ARB Bull Bar, Rock Ready Tie Rod, Custom Drive Shaft, Rustys LCA's, JKS Adj Trac Bar, JKS Disco's, Addco rear Sway bar,285/70/16 Toyo Open Country Tires, Jb Conversions HD SYE , Dana 44, Hurst shifter, Landrunner Roof Rack,Piaa Lights,Banks Header and other junk!!!!
    Oh yea my wife has a libby limited (Traded the libby for a nissan armada)

Is it towards the front on the engine? If so, check your power steering unit. I have a slight leak on my p/s behind the pulley, thought it was the head gasket myself.

Registered

Default Re: Oil leak around the head gasket?????

-=- originally posted by Bow Hunter -=-
    Hey guys it seems I have a oil leak around the right side of my engine. The oil seems to come from the head gasket area all along the side of the engine. The valve cover is clean and is not leaking and I can see no other place where it is leaking. Is this common, I thought most of the ports in the head were for coolant. could it be maybe just an oil port that is leaking... has some one else had this problem???? I had trucks blow head gaskets but I don't recall one leaking oil around it???????

Help!!
    IS it a downright leak or a "sweat" of oil that starts at around the top of distribuator area then sweats out along the entire side of the block...my 99 does this.I use to clean it off then said the heck with it..it takes about a year to do this ...there's no oil pressure there and it seems to be a slight gasket flaw...my 01 TJ has this also...but not as much...my old Chev six did it too so I'm not concerned..the 4.0 is not a tight engine like the new aluminum motors..they are known to weep here and there....but I trust it more than the new motors of to-day...it's an old tractor motor with some of the old tractor leaks...give it a shampoo if you don't want it there or leave it and the block will never get rusty ...it only goes so far then stops around the rail area...mines been like that for three years.
    99XJ..01 Sahara..I am a nobody,nobody is perfect,therefore I am perfect...after all is said and done,usually more is said than done!

Registered

Icon312

No Mechanic will ever tell you this because the shop would lose money.

"Just re-torque the cylinder head bolts"
    It's really easy, get yourself a good 1/2" drive torque wrench (no cheapo 25 dollar ones either)
    A good repair manual, Haynes or Chiltons. (you need the torque specs. and tightening sequence)
    Remove valve cover.
    Remove rocker arms (keep them in order)
    Now you can retorque your head bolts.
    Put it all back together, with a new valve cover gasket of course.

Did I mention I am a Mechanic?
    Trust me it works wonders.
    97 TJ - 4" Skyjacker Lift - 33's on Factory Gambler Wheels - Detroit True-Trac in D30 - Detroit Locker in Super35 - Spidertax Wheel Spacers - And a Bunch Of Other "Stuff"

Registered

Default Re: Re: Oil leak around the head gasket?????

-=- originally posted by Lou.Fab -=-
    IS it a downright leak or a "sweat" of oil that starts at around the top of distribuator area then sweats out along the entire side of the block...my 99 does this.I use to clean it off then said the heck with it..it takes about a year to do this ...there's no oil pressure there and it seems to be a slight gasket flaw...my 01 TJ has this also...but not as much...my old Chev six did it too so I'm not concerned..the 4.0 is not a tight engine like the new aluminum motors..they are known to weep here and there....but I trust it more than the new motors of to-day...it's an old tractor motor with some of the old tractor leaks...give it a shampoo if you don't want it there or leave it and the block will never get rusty ...it only goes so far then stops around the rail area...mines been like that for three years.
    I have had the same issue with my 2k 4.0, had Jeep mechs look at it, they said it's not actually leaking so leave it........
    2000 "Black" TJ 4.0

http://community.webshots.com/user/tj2kbob

From a Libby owner "The oil change made a noticeable improvement in response on acceleration. Not sure if it is because of going to Durablend or just because I got the old factory/break in oil out. "

Registered

Lou you hit it on the head, Thats what I have not really a leak but a sweat of oil. Thanks Guys I was thinking of replacing it when I put on my banks header today but I guess i will leave it. Maybe retorque the bolts like crazy suggested. Its good to get some good info on here!! Thanks a million!!
    Jeep Sahara TJ- OME HD Lift, ARB Bull Bar, Rock Ready Tie Rod, Custom Drive Shaft, Rustys LCA's, JKS Adj Trac Bar, JKS Disco's, Addco rear Sway bar,285/70/16 Toyo Open Country Tires, Jb Conversions HD SYE , Dana 44, Hurst shifter, Landrunner Roof Rack,Piaa Lights,Banks Header and other junk!!!!
    Oh yea my wife has a libby limited (Traded the libby for a nissan armada)

Registered

You can try re-torquing the head but then it might get worse..did I mention I am a mechanic for 25 years,also run a small private business (semi-retired)...shampoo it or leave it..mine has been like that for a few years...it doesn't get any worse.
    99XJ..01 Sahara..I am a nobody,nobody is perfect,therefore I am perfect...after all is said and done,usually more is said than done!