Thread: How do I tell the difference between sailcloth and regular tops?

Registered

Icon312 How do I tell the difference between sailcloth and regular tops?

I have the opportunity to buy a soft top that was taken off a newer TJ. He is not sure what model year it was removed from. Somewhere between 2000 and 2002. I thought that sailcloth tops were introduced on the 2001 Wranglers. What I need to know is there a sure fire way to tell the difference between a regular top and a sailcloth top? Both of which would have been factory original. I know the sailcloth is a heavier cloth, but since I have never seen one I could be easily fooled.

If you're familiar with the older softtop material...spotting a sailcloth up close will be really easy. It's got a more defined texture of bumps and is a bit shinier...well, the new ones are at least shinier. You'll notice it easily if you know what the old material looks like.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Registered

Anything else? Is the inside color different? The way it's sewn together? Just want to be sure what I am doing.

BTT

Registered

I've got a sailcloth top, in dark tan, and my buddy has a dark tan non sailcloth, and his has little (but noticable black specs in the fabric. Also, the sailcloth material is really stiff. Kinda like comparing a t shirt to jeans.

Patrick

Registered

well i know the 2002 tops (at least the late 2002 tops) don't have the straps in the rear to hold the rear window rolled in the up position. These tops are definitely sailcloth
    Light Khaki 2002 X 5-speed
    On it:Rubicon Express Budget Boost and 32x11.50 BFG ATs

Registered

Install the new top and have a buddy ride down the highway with you. If you two can have a conversation with out yelling over the wind, its a sailcloth.
    2000' TJ SE
    Check out Triad4wd at www.triad4wda.org

Registered

-=- originally posted by BlackholeTJ -=-
    Install the new top and have a buddy ride down the highway with you. If you two can have a conversation with out yelling over the wind, its a sailcloth.
    LOL, that actully is a pretty good way to tell the difference. The sailcloth also feels thicker and heavier.
    99 TJ 4.0L, 5spd.
    Super Blue

If it feels like a stiff pair of jeans it's a regular top.
    If it feels like 5 stiff pairs of jeans it's Sailcloth
    02 Patriot Blue TJ Sport, 5spd, Dana 44 rear, 32in BFG MT's on AR767's. 3inch Black Diamond Lift, Custom Bumper front and rear, and Jeeperman Trail Skids