Thread: Getting bubble gum off of the windshield???

Registered

Question Getting bubble gum off of the windshield???

I hate rednecks in pickup trucks that don't have tobacco. Instead, they chew gum and spit it out. I was driving on I-635 yesterday and the moron in the bed of the pickup in front of me spit his gum out. Funny thing is, instead of a big wad smacking to my windshield, only a string of it landed on the bottom of the window. I've scraped and scraped, but you can still see the gum. Anybody have any tips on how to get this $@%@ing #$@% off? There's a little bit of it on the rubber around the windshield, too.

Thanks in advance!

------------------
    Andrew
    Black/tan dual top 2000 TJ Sport
    Mods: 31" BFG ATs on Grizzly Wheels, tow hooks, K&N, fog lights
    Factory: Trac-lok, 5-speed

Currently Topless!!! (the Jeep, that is)
    <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/nm/jeepjeep/main.htm" TARGET=_blank>JEEP JEEP- Check out the owner galleries!
    </A>
    My Photopoint site: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=963121
    2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Limited, aka LAST XJ, Steel Blue
    Factory: Selec Trac, Up Country, tow package, overhead console, Infinity sound
    Mods: Mopar rock rails, Mopar subwoofer/amp

Registered

Try Goo-Off or something by that name. It comes in a yellow rectangular bottle and is really good at cleaning any of the sticky stuff.
    '03 TJ Sport with goodies to come
    For Sale: '94 YJ 2.5L, 5sp, 2.5" BDS AAL, Trailmaster SS shocks, K&N, Herculined, 31" BFG MT-KMs on AR OutlawI, Hella500s, KCs, Cobra75 CB, FirestickII,
    Michigan Jeepers
    JeepFabrication.com

Common handcleaner might work, like Gentle-Kleen, GoJo, Goop or Pep Boys. I know that peanut butter will get gum out of kid's hair, might also work on the Jeep

------------------
    Lynn
    "A Jeepist"
    Lynn

Early CJ5 Forums

'05 LJ, Patriot Blue
    3" FT lift, Rancho 9000XLs, 33x10.50 BFG MTs, 15x7 Outlaw IIs, Rubi flares, OME stab, JKS F&R adj trackbars, JKS QDs, custom seat risers, Cassidy's bumpers, sliders & swingout.

Registered

Lightbulb

I know you are in hot as hades Dallas, but try to take an ice cube to the gum to hardene it then just easily scrape it off.

Worked on my side window when my son decided to try and make a projectile out of his gum.

------------------
    Tiffany - tiffany@ilovejeeps.com
    AOL IM: Jeeper Tiff
    1999 XJ Sport - Stocky
    6" "Tiffster" lift, Rubicon Express SYE, CV drive shaft, RE adjustable track bar,
    31 x 10.50 Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts, 15x8 American Racing Pioneer rims, Rancho 9000 shocks,
    Rusty's air tube and K&N cone filter, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, JKS "Quicker" disconnects,
    Dual Uniden 340XL hand held CBs and a bunch of stickers.
    http://www.ilovejeeps.com
    http://registry.ilovejeeps.com (National Jeep Registry)

Tiffany: tiffster23@gmail.com
    Stocky: '99 XJ Sport, 7.5" lift, 35x12.50 BFG MTs...bunch of other stuff
    SAJ: '91 XJ Laredo, 4" lift, no tires, rear axle or wheels
    Stocky's Offroad Photo Gallery
    CAUTION:
    Does Not Play Well With Others

Registered

Try the ice cube, like mentioned before. If that doesn't work, try gasoline or WD40 and a razorblade. Should come right up.

------------------
    95YJ, 4banger, 2"add-leafs, 2"body, BDS XT shocks, 32" AT's on 15X8 AE's, Tube bumpers and nerf bars, tail light guards, Hella's front and rear, no swaybars or track bars, towhooks, K&N, Gibson exhaust, Cobra 19 CB w/ Firestick antenna, scanner, light guards, tow straps and other recovery gear, JVC CD, soundbar, Clifford alarm, 2 8"JL subs in instatrunk, etc...

WAR EAGLE!!!
    '95YJ - 5.0HO, NP435, Twin-Stick NP205, D44, 8.8 36" IROKs, 106.5" wheelbase, locked, full cage, S9000 winch, Flowmaster, flat-fendered and Poison Spider Comp Corners

'01 Chevy 2500HD, Vortec 6.0, 4L80E, FF14b w/ 4.10s, 4dr, bedliner, etc...

I have a big disc grinder you can use with a 36 grit disc. after you get done with the windshield, you can use it on the kid in the pick-up.

------------------
    99 green jeep-Sahara
    Warn-axles,hubs,HS9500i,clevis
    Bestop-Safari,tonneau,duster
    MT/R's 35-12.50-15's
    Stuff I made- Front winch bumper,overhead console,cargo rack inside the roll bar
    It's not who you know, It's who knows you!
    If you buy for the warranty, buy two. You're gonna need them because warranties don't get you home.

Registered

Originally posted by AlexYJ:
    Try Goo-Off or something by that name. It comes in a yellow rectangular bottle and is really good at cleaning any of the sticky stuff.
    Goo-B-gone is the product. the stuff is great. I am sure it will work for you, even on the rubber. I use this stuff to get the bugs off the entire front end of my TJ, including the windshield. Just squirt it on where ever you see gunk...let it soak...whip it off with a white clean towel....rinse....and you are done.

HTH

Registered

Lightbulb

Go to the local janitor supply place.
    They have a can of freeze stuff. You just spray the gum it freezes then you can take it right off.
    Nobody is perfect.
    I am the perfect example.

Registered

I know peanut butter kicks a$$ when you need to get gum outta your hair...try that.

------------------
    Y2K Sahara °llll°
    mods:
    - antenna smiley ball
    - pine striping (courtesy of Pine Barrens)

[This message has been edited by Rockadile (edited 07-27-2000).]
    Y2K Sahara °llll°...gone.
    2004 Jeep Liberty Limited
    2005 Dodge Magnum

Peanutbutter will do wonders!!
    97 TJ with yellow parking brake springs.
    Central North Carolina 4x4 Club

Registered

Originally posted by Rockadile:
    I know pewanut butter kicks a$$ when you need to get gum outta your hair...try that.
    Yep, PB will remove gum from hair. Just spread the PB on and let it dry. Then wash it off.

------------------
    Helen
    97 TJ Sport w/ stuff
    AIM/Yahoo Messenger: Topless4x4
    My Pages
    Helen
    07 CBR1000RR
    97 TJ Sport w/ stuff - gone

Facebook

Registered

Rubbing alcohol or finger nail polish remover may work good too. Just use it on the glass, though....

Tedster

brake clean..... brake cleaner it will take off just about anything. havent tried gum though
    Proud owner of a 1 ton paperwieght.

Registered

I don't know about on the rubber, but on the glass you could just use a razor blade - it gets most things off well.

------------------
    Paul (formerly phkim )
    White 1993 YJ Renegade 4.0L Hardtop
    - Car Sound Catalytic Converter (my only mod - pretty sad, eh? )
    - Broken Skid Plate Bolts (3)

Drink Oregon Craft Beer! IslandTJ's Avatar
    where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935'

Try:
    -> Pam cooking spray or
    -> WD-40 or
    -> Hairspray

------------------
    1998 “stock” TJ Moss Green Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather
    1998 TJ Moss Green Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

Edit: "Now jeeping in Oregon"

Registered

Ronsonol or ZIPPO Lighter fluid.. I use it to take the Numbers off my boat and to remove registration stickers....Works like a champ....
    91 YJ 4.0, 4 inch Procomp Sus 3 in body lift, 33X12.50 Mickeys BAJA Belted HP's. Wet Okole Seats Covers covered by COSCO, rating 190
    Ultra 15X10 Alums, Custom Made Aircraft Alum Fishing pole holders
    Diamond Plate Corners and Rockers
    Nerfs, Code Alert VPS,"JACK" my JRT Dog, 1000lbs reciever rack, JOIN THE OBPA. 2DE OBX....