Thread: How do you adjust a Motorcraft 2100?

Icon5a How do you adjust a Motorcraft 2100?

Its a brand new carb, not sure how old though, but it came with some paperwork on how to adjust it. There are two idle speed screws on the front it said to adjust. Said to turn the screws closed then 4 turns out on each of them. Then turn each a 1/4 turn until the desired RPM is reached.. well i had them closed -- 8 turns out and no change at all in the RPM stays right at 1000-1100. By the time i finished messing with it my wife thought I cut a finger off in the fan or something my eyes were watering so bad from burning. That means too much fuel right.. Only thing I notice is the choke has a "warm air intake" on it which my other didnt have, should this be plugged? Thats just to heat up the choke coil faster right.. Any help would be great! :rant: :furious:

EDIT:
    Accually its a 2150 if that matters any to you..
    "You've got to fight just to make it through, 'cause I will be the death of you."
    '94 YJ Renegade 4.0 4.11's, 6" BDS Lift, Advanced Adapters SYE
    '97 Camaro Z28 She's got some tweeks
    '07 Chevy TrailBlazer SS 400hp LS2, AWD bsess:

Try these notes:
    You have the curb idle adjusting screw on the driver's side, the fast idle adjusting screw on the passenger side, the choke adjustment (by spinning choke housing to give it more or less spring tension), and the two idle adjustment screws on the bottom front.

Make sure your choke is opening, because that would make it run real rich. Adjust the idle adjustment screws with a tach to get the highest RPM's on the lean side. Set the curb idle for about 650 to 750 depending on your tranny. There's a mark on the stepped cam of the fast idle linkage you line that screw up with when the choke is closed.

Kinda hard to explain in writing. Best bet would be to get a shop manual or go in Pep Boys or somewhere and "browse" a little. Remember, you'll be best looking in a Ford manual.

Find a MANIFOLD vacuum source and hook your vacuum gauge to that, If you dont have a vacuum gauge.....get one!

After the engine is warm, turn it off and find the "mixture screws" 1 per barrel underneath the fuel bowl. Turn the screws all the way in, but be gentle (you could damage them). Then turn them out 2 full turns be sure that they are equal.

Start the engine and set the curb idle by adjusting the screw on the throttle arm.

Now adjust the 2 "mixture screws" together in or out to obtain the highest vacuum reading. You may need to readjust the curb idle screw during this to obtain the correct rpm.
    Mike-
    1985 Renegade CJ8 original owner
    Some things money can't buy- for all the rest of your money, there's Jeeps

Registered

Craig, sounds like you either have a vacuum leak, or your linkage is not letting your throttle plate close far enuff.

The linkage problem could be in the gas pedal linkage or the fast idle linkage on the passenger's side of the carb. There is a screw that rides on a cam that increases the idle speed til the engine warms up. At that point, the choke opens and the the cam moves out of the way so the engine reverts to normal idle speed.

Oh yeah, there is also the curb idle adjustment screw on the driver's side.

Guess I should hook the choke up and try

Dont think its a vacume problem becaust there arn't any vacuum lines really Nothing in the intake at all. I have all the ones on the carb plugged except for the PCV and the vacuum advance to the distributor.
    "You've got to fight just to make it through, 'cause I will be the death of you."

These guys are right, you got to get your idle down because at 1000 rpm and up your on the primary circuit in the carb not the idle circuit. So all the adjusment with those screws will have no effect. Slow it down until it hurts. It usually is easier with a warm engine.

Wacuum leaks dont only have to do with hoses. it could be a piece of old gasket left over on the mounting face you didn't get off and is causing a leak or between the intake and the head.

Registered

Here is a nice guide to tuning with a vacuum gauge

If you have a leak, it could be anywhere on the intake like at the engine (around the intake manifold gasket) at the carb base, in the EGR valve, etc.
    80s-ish CJ7, 258, MegaSquirt'ed w/GM TBI, TFI coil/cap + HEI module, TF999, 4" BDS lift, full cage.
    Built from 3 worn-out CJs of the 80s era and plenty of home-fabricated parts.
    My MegaSquirt write-up

Thanks everyone for the reply's. How can I check the vacuum at the manifold when there arent any ports to check it with? Only vacuum lines are on the carb...

EDIT:
    Was reading the info on that link.. Great link thanks! Says I can use the PCV port on the carb so I'll give that a shot.

Registered

-=- originally posted by chanchett -=-
    Thanks everyone for the reply's. How can I check the vacuum at the manifold when there arent any ports to check it with? Only vacuum lines are on the carb..
    Now you did it! You've done gone and thrown out an invitation to Luan to go into his disertation on how things suck...aka manifold vacuum and ported vacuum. (See, he taught me well.)

sshhh maybe he wont notice...

hey you guys in PA;

if you are ever in the Philadelphia area, i could use a lesson on adjusting my 2100 carb....
    1994 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT
    2003 NISSAN 350Z TOURING