Thread: DRB Scan Tool=DRB III Diagostic Tool=OBD II Scan Tool?

Registered

Question DRB Scan Tool=DRB III Diagostic Tool=OBD II Scan Tool?

Finally recieved my Factory Service Manual in the mail this weekend and I'm quite pleased with the amount of infomation it has. One thing I noticed was that the manual had thousands of occaions in which it instructed me to use the DRB III or a DRB scan tool. Are these the same piece of equipment? If so, are the OBD II scan tools that they offer at the parts houses comparable?
    I also noticed that there aren't any Diagnostic Trouble Codes(DTC's) listed in the manual. I'm guessing that they are listed in the Powertrain Diagnostic Manual that I don't have. I guess what I'm getting at is , can I use the OBD II scan tool that they sell at the parts store instead of the DRB III? Based on the price of the service manual, I can imagine that the DRB III would cost me my first born. If I can use an OBD II scan tool, Would it benefit me to get the Powertrain Diagnostic Manual? I hope someone out there has got an answer, that way I can focus on the Powertrain Control Module(PCM) and figure out what the hell it is and what the hell it doesn't control:loopyeye:
    /l__[_____],
    l---_L--OIIIIIO-
    ()_) ()_)====)_) <- NEEDS CASH, SEND HELP

"When I was twenty, I thought I knew it all. By the time I turned thirty, there was only one thing I really knew. I am the biggest hypocrite I know."

Registered

Icon312

I'd love to have a DRB-III myself...if only I had an extra $5K laying around! The ODB-II scan tools simply read codes off the PCM. It's crappy that DC dropped the code descriptions out of the FSM and that they don't allow for displaying the codes through the odometer like in the WJ. You will need to get an ODB-II scanner to read the codes and the Powertrain Diagnostics manual if you want to know what the codes mean (or you can always get codes off of JU). Quite honestly the PDM is really a lot better than just having a list of codes since it tells you how to trouble shoot the problem.

Good luck!

GOT4LO?
    JolyonF
    '03 TJ Rubicon 5-speed, HD OME suspension+1.75" BB, 1" BL/MM lift, 305/70R16 BFG MT, ARB Bull Bar, HS9500i, custom HD rear tire carrier, Kilby gas & steering skids, PSC rocker & diff guards, JKS discos, TK Sliders, OME SD40 SS.
    '03 WJ Overland 4.7L V8 HO, HD OME suspension/SD40, BFG AT 265/70R17, ARB Bull Bar, Addco rear ASB, adj. roof rails.
    Jeep Bio: '89 YJ SE, '93 YJ 4.0L/5sp, '97 XJ Sport, '99 WJ Limited 4.7L/QD, '01 TJ Sport 5sp....RIP

The 4 diagnostic manuals total only $24, a bargain. But the DRBIII is listed at over $6,000 including the software subscriptions - see the SPX-Miller Tools web site. No way I can justify this for the ability to do programming. Cheers.

Registered

So are you saying that the OBD II will offer the same features as the DRB III? I have to imagine that the DRB III has alot more to offer for $5K+, but it sure doesn't feel worth it.
    After I posted last time I called Chrysler and ordered all the diagnostic manuals. Four of them, Powertrain, Body, Transmision and Chassis. They cost about like you said, $24. I can't wait to see what trouble codes are in the Body diagnostic manual. :kooky: :poofey:
    /l__[_____],
    l---_L--OIIIIIO-
    ()_) ()_)====)_) <- NEEDS CASH, SEND HELP

"When I was twenty, I thought I knew it all. By the time I turned thirty, there was only one thing I really knew. I am the biggest hypocrite I know."

The DRB will allow you to actually change the programming of the on board computer(s) in addition to reading the codes. It also has the ability to run various tests to diagnose problems. The scan tools only let you read the codes.

Registered

Any recommendations on ODB-II scan tools? :ahhh:

Registered

http://www.obd-2.com

I have this one.
    Propane powered 90YJ on one tons and 39 Krawlers.

Registered

Default drb 3

a drb3 is much more than a scanner,far too many uses than to list here, as far as reprogramming controllers, the drb3 is useless without another computer- mds2, so if you just want to read codes, go buy a cheapie reader, if you want to make a living repairing(did i mention i work for chrysler?) buy the real deal(by the way,i actually get paid to fix my rubi if it breaks!good idea huh?)