Thread: What are the symptoms of a stretched TC Chain?

Registered

Default What are the symptoms of a stretched TC Chain?

Last weekend, Greddy and I were fixing a leak in my transfer case and we think that my transfer case chain might have stretched out a bit. W/ the back half of the TC off, how far should we be able to push one side of the chain up? We could basically push the top of the chain u till it hit the TC housing. This seemed abnormal but there was no place in town that had one on a Sat and we were wheeling the next day....

I've been hunting down the source of a few other issues (one noise and a small binding in my driveline) and this could be the source of the problem.

Any other experiences out there w/ stretched TC chains???

TIA,

Matt

Not exactly sure other than to say that when ShaggieTJ's Tcase was apart the chain sagged quite abit. We were told that without the back half of the case to hold the rear out put shaft in place the wieght of the chain pulls the rear shaft over a little and the chain sags.

This isn't first hand expierience so take it for what it's worth but just thought it might help.

C.TJ

Registered

Default Chain

Did you notice any scrape marks on the case half? If the chain stretched, it bounces around alot and touches the case.

My 231 ran hot and ruined my chain along with the wear pads on both shifter forks. I had scrape marks on the bottom of my case. My chain stretched so much that it was jumping the teeth on the gears.

HTH

Joe

Registered

You would be able to tell by slop between the front and rear drivelines ("thunk" when going from reverse to forward in 4wd). If it gets really bad, the chain will actually 'skip' teeth on the drive sprocket and it will be very noticable.

Registered

Default Re: Chain

-=- originally posted by jlovette -=-
    Did you notice any scrape marks on the case half? If the chain stretched, it bounces around alot and touches the case.

My 231 ran hot and ruined my chain along with the wear pads on both shifter forks. I had scrape marks on the bottom of my case. My chain stretched so much that it was jumping the teeth on the gears.

HTH

Joe
    This is what had us confused....there were no obvious marks on the TC housing. I don't have a "thunk" when going from forward to reverse, but I do get a weird "thunk thunk thunk" when I take a low speed turn in 2WD that occurs only when I coast through a turn with the transmission in gear AND the clutch disengaged.

It sounds like something somewhere is binding and causing the driveshaft or TC to catch. It only happens when I am turning, tranny in gear, clutch disengaged. I thought that perhaps slack in the TC chain could cause this. (By the way....Lock-Rite front and rear....Posi lok in the front in case that helps).

As far as slack w/ the case apart, I thought the same thing. However, we were unable to move the output shaft AT ALL so I don't think it was because the TC case was off....

Any more thoughts.....

Registered

I used to have a '91 Cherokee (5spd, np231) that made a clunk-clunk-clunk. It started around 140K miles, and only happened during slow left turns, clutch ENGAGED, in first or second gear. It sounded like something was hitting the underside of the vehicle, under the gas pedal or shifters. when it started clunking, the gearshift stick would vibrate back and forth alot, like 4inches, too. This all happened before I started working on my own vehicles (smarter now- hopefully). The mechanic told me that it was an old vehicle and alot was wrong with it. The transfercase chain and shift pads were replaced, and the motor mounts and transfercase mount were replaced. the rubber? was pretty well fatigued and squashed. All four shocks were replaced too. Also probably unrelated to your problem, the collar and fork on the front disconnect axle were worn out. Yes, it was a bit rough driving in 4wd at times. I don't know which fix did it, but when I got my jeep back the problem was gone. HTH.