Thread: Candle Power = How many watts?

Default Candle Power = How many watts?

Hi,
    I'm interested in using two of the Model 60 flush mount reverse lights to add some extra light to the back of my Jeep. These lights are sold at truck stops and also at www.truck-lite.com for about $9.50 (kit = light, pigtail, grommet). Here's my question... They are rated at 32 Candle Power, how bright is that? I guess I'm trying to compare them to those 55 watt tractor flood lights, since that's my other option. Or, some 55 watt fog lights. Which would be brighter?
    Thanks,
    Dougget
    DougR
    Previously Owned:
    2000 TJ Sport - 4.0/5sp - 33x12.5 BFG Mud
    1985 CJ7 Renegade - 258/3sp - 31x10.5 BFG AT

Registered

Candle power is not directly related to wattage. Other factors come into play as well... like lense and reflector design. Candle power is just that. It's a relative term... the amount of candles it would take to produce that amount of light. Wattage is a measure of the amount of power the bulb consumes.
    ZJ : 7.5" LA's... 35's and stuff.

Yeah, I kinda figured there wasn't a direct relationship between watts and cp. I guess what I really want to know is how many candle power should I expect from a set of 55 watt Walmart fog lights? If the answer is 40 to 50, then I'll probably go with the flush mount Modle 60 lights. If I'll get 400 cp from the fog lights, then I'll probably get them and mount them on top of my rear bumper.
    I saw some ratings for Hella driving lights, their 130 watt lights put out around 250,000 cp. So all things being equal, a 55 watt light should be rated around 100,000 cp. Now, the smaller light with a smaller reflector and lense is probably not as efficient, so maybe the output is closer to 50,000cp. That's a huge jump from 32cp...
    Am I way off here? Would the Model 60's be a waste of time?
    Thanks,
    Dougget
    DougR
    Previously Owned:
    2000 TJ Sport - 4.0/5sp - 33x12.5 BFG Mud
    1985 CJ7 Renegade - 258/3sp - 31x10.5 BFG AT

32 is not bright at all. Your stock reverse lamps may produce more than that.

Registered

My guess is that a 55w bulb will be much brighter than a 32 candle power lite.. When they want to advertise an actual bright light with candle power, it's usually rated at 1000 candle power, obviously quite a bit more than 32.

Sorry I can't be more help than that though..good luck!