Thread: Can U pull AirBag fuses to disable the AB's?

Question Can U pull AirBag fuses to disable the AB's?

My friend popped both his airbags in his Dakota when we were wheeling ($2K?)

So I wonder if I can just pull the AirBag fuses to disable them. Anyone know?

|[ :pablo:]|
    [O|||||O]
    ======
    [ ]=O=[ ]
    03 Rubicon "Slo-Tank", 5-spd, dual tops, AC, cruise, engine block heater, Tera BB, RS9000X, Warn Winch & diff skids & engine skid, Tomken 2x4 Rockers, RockHard cage (frnt+rear), custom Ringwood Jeeps front bumper, Optima yellow, other skids & lights & things.

Registered

Default Re: Can U pull AirBag fuses to disable the AB's?

-=- originally posted by 2Cojones -=-
    My friend popped both his airbags in his Dakota when we were wheeling ($2K?)

So I wonder if I can just pull the AirBag fuses to disable them. Anyone know?

|[ :pablo:]|
    [O|||||O]
    ======
    [ ]=O=[ ]
    You don't have to. I have never seen any air bags go off on a Jeep 4x4 driving.
    Toys
    2004 Laredo 2.7 CRD Diesel
    Motor Bikes
    2006 BMW R1200 HP2
    2005 BMW R1200RT

Registered

Icon312

You could but you run the risk of the bags popping every time you mess with the fuses. The better solution is to get the DS/PS disable switch from the dealer. It is about $200 for the parts and $90 for the labor to program the PCM (assuming you do the install). You would also have to get the NHSTA form approved which shouldn't take too much. There are posts in the archives about this if you search for "airbag disable".

Good luck!

GOT4LO?
    JolyonF
    '03 TJ Rubicon 5-speed, HD OME suspension+1.75" BB, 1" BL/MM lift, 305/70R16 BFG MT, ARB Bull Bar, HS9500i, custom HD rear tire carrier, Kilby gas & steering skids, PSC rocker & diff guards, JKS discos, TK Sliders, OME SD40 SS.
    '03 WJ Overland 4.7L V8 HO, HD OME suspension/SD40, BFG AT 265/70R17, ARB Bull Bar, Addco rear ASB, adj. roof rails.
    Jeep Bio: '89 YJ SE, '93 YJ 4.0L/5sp, '97 XJ Sport, '99 WJ Limited 4.7L/QD, '01 TJ Sport 5sp....RIP

Registered

If you pull the fuses make sure the ingition is off when you remove or insert them.

Like was said above, Jeep air bags are very selective. They use a G-force sensor instead of a bumper sensor and they don't go off unless you really needed them.
    "Mud Puppy"
    91 XJ - assorted skids, 32" BFGs, 4" lift, fenders by sawz-all.

Mud Puppy's Web Site
    ILJ Forum

Registered

I have a Dakota too, and a wife that is 4'11" tall. The switch up here was going to be about $1200 installed, instead we pulled the fuse (so the air bag doesn't kill her, she sits within 20cm (8") of the steering wheel) and put it in when I drive. Truck off, keys out. This is her DD and drives it 95% of the time.

WW
    CJ5

Registered

I do it all the time
    03 TJ Rubicon / 96 Cherokee Classic.

Thanks lot folks!
    03 Rubicon "Slo-Tank", 5-spd, dual tops, AC, cruise, engine block heater, Tera BB, RS9000X, Warn Winch & diff skids & engine skid, Tomken 2x4 Rockers, RockHard cage (frnt+rear), custom Ringwood Jeeps front bumper, Optima yellow, other skids & lights & things.

I was disappointed to find my Rubicon did not have an air bag shut off switch like my 2000 Sahara. This was an issue as I have a young son who rides in the passenger seat when we have camping gear in the rear. I contacted Jeep.com and they put me in touch with the NHSTA web site for a waiver. My jeep dealer installed a passenger and driver airbag shut off switch. The part was $200 plus about $75 labor. The "key switch" is located in the glove box. They mount a shut off "light indicator" box in the place of your coin tray (on a manual transmission.) It was expensive, but worth it for me and peace of mind.

Marty

Arn't the airbags detonated from some type of capacitor. If that's true removing the power fuse would prove useless as the capacitor will most likely remained charged. Also that would mean the switch disables the signal line that tells the circuit to set them off. Completely different from removing the power source.

Just a thought maybe not the actual case

Registered

The FSM says wait three minutes to let the caps discharge before working on anything to do with the airbags.

HTH, Chris
    '03 Rubicon - 5sp
    My Jeep

I Picked up the FSM on disk & see it says:

WARNING: DISABLE THE [airbag before doing work in the area]
    DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE
    (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR
    THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE
    PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE.
    THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE
    SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM. FAILURE TO
    TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD
    RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT

It also says:

The [Airbag Control Module] receives battery current through two circuits;
    a fused ignition switch output circuit (run) through a fuse in the fuse block, and a fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit through a second
    fuse in the fuse block.

At the risk of stupidly repeating my question, Does this mean therefore, that pulling the fuses (while engine off, of course) does disable the system?

Registered

-=- originally posted by mbaker -=-
    I was disappointed to find my Rubicon did not have an air bag shut off switch like my 2000 Sahara. This was an issue as I have a young son who rides in the passenger seat when we have camping gear in the rear. I contacted Jeep.com and they put me in touch with the NHSTA web site for a waiver. My jeep dealer installed a passenger and driver airbag shut off switch. The part was $200 plus about $75 labor. The "key switch" is located in the glove box. They mount a shut off "light indicator" box in the place of your coin tray (on a manual transmission.) It was expensive, but worth it for me and peace of mind.

Marty
    Marty, This seems to be a little different than the stock on that comes with the SE version. But I am getting tired of trying to find the correct part number. Do you have the correct part numbers? I already have the form to get the switch installed, I just am having a hard time getting the dealer to find the part number. Thanks
    2003 Rubicon Stone White/ Dk Khaki with everything but the ashtray and engine heater!
    Slush mats. 1" Energy Suspension BL, 1" M.O.R.E. Torsion MM lift(Highly Modified), Locking Gas Cap

Registered

Arrow

Engine off , key in pocket - pulled both airbag fuses .

Child seat in right front and steering wheel too close .

7,000 miles and no problems .

Registered

-=- originally posted by TheBugMan -=-
    Marty, This seems to be a little different than the stock on that comes with the SE version. But I am getting tired of trying to find the correct part number. Do you have the correct part numbers? I already have the form to get the switch installed, I just am having a hard time getting the dealer to find the part number. Thanks
    The dual switch (one or both air bags) is:

[GLOW=yellow]5016046AB[/GLOW]
    "Mud Puppy"
    91 XJ - assorted skids, 32" BFGs, 4" lift, fenders by sawz-all.

Mud Puppy's Web Site
    ILJ Forum

Registered

How fast was that dekota going? Airbags are not supposed to deploy under 15mph. I have never seen a Wrangler have airbags deploy. I guess if you are wheeling fast enough then you would want them to deploy. In fact I have seen Jeeps rollover and the airbags did not deploy. Maybe it's just that a Dekota is not designed to go offroad.