I installed a 750 watt continuous/1500 watt peak power inverter several months ago underneath the driver's seat in my TJ. I wired it directly into the battery terminals with 8 gauge wire. It is mounted upside down hanging from the bottom of the seat and is protected from all the elements and sunlight and gets plenty of good ventilation. It has worked great until today. I use it regularly. I plugged in my drill to use it and it worked fine for the first hole. About 10 minutes later I went to use it again and the drill wouldn't turn. I opened the hood to make sure my cables were still connected to the battery--no problem. I closed the hood and came back around to the driver's seat to inspect the inverter, and POOF---smoke starts billowing out from under the seat. I look under the seat and see flames inside the inverter. The flame died out after about 20 seconds. I unhooked the battery cables from the back of the inverter and pulled the inverter out of the vehicle. I plan to call the manufacturer tomorrow. What could have caused this? I didn't put an inline fuse on the + cable, but I can't see that starting a FIRE in the inverter. If anything, it should have just allowed the internal fuses in the inverter to blow. Any ideas?