Thread: "Gabriel HD" Stock OEM Replacement shocks from Pep Boys, are they ok?

Registered

Default "Gabriel HD" Stock OEM Replacement shocks from Pep Boys, are they ok?

I have a stock setup XJ 4x4. Waiting to sell it but my rear passenger shock is about shot and the rear tire kinda wobbles up and down after 55mph and already blew a tire doing 70. You can feel the passenger tire bouncing actually, nothing VIOLENT, but just enough to scare you if you go over 55mph. I always drive 65-75mph and driving 55mph is not working for me right now. SO...Pep Boys sells "Gabriel" replacement OEM Shocks for $20 a piece and they are considered "Heavy Duty". SO...should this do the job for me at least for another couple months before I have my $$ totally saved up? No wheeling, no major offroading, sometimes some cargo. This is totally cost effective but I am gonna replace both the rear shocks, not only one. Don't want one side stiff and other stock. BTW, my entire suspension is completely stock from factory except the front track bar. Should this gold me off for another few months to get rid of it? I know these shocks are NOTHING like the good shocks out there for lifted rigs but this, again, is for a stock setup to hold me off. What do you guys think? If there's a good "name brand" shock out there for around the same price let me know aswell. Looking for no more than $60 for 2 shocks (incl. shipping if applicable). Thanks.
    1997 ZJ Limited 4.0 H.O. Some Offroad Stuff

Registered

I put on the Gabriel Max-Control mono-tube shocks..got them from J.C.Whitney for 49.95 a piece...I like them very much...don't know about the ones you are talking about sorry..they should be allright ..I had the Red Riders on my Chev for years and they where good.
    99XJ..01 Sahara..I am a nobody,nobody is perfect,therefore I am perfect...after all is said and done,usually more is said than done!

Registered

I had a set and hated them. Very stiff for a daily driver. Put up with them for a year and replaced them with Monroe Sensa Tracs ($$). Didn't like them either. Cost so much that I never could bring myself to replace them.

I don't have to worry about now, SINCE MY WIFE TOTALLED MY XJ LAST WEEK (I'm not shouting, I'm crying). Your problem is that everybody has "heavy duty" aftermarket shocks for the Cherokee, but not "standard duty". What you want is a cheap hydraulic shock, instead of the gas ones.

The early '90s limiteds had something described as "low pressure gas shocks". I wonder what they were and who made them?

Registered

So the Gabriel HD's were a little too stiff for daily driving then? Even with full rim/spare and a BUNCH of tools it's still gonna be too stiff? I kinda like stiff but not to the point where it's messing up my driving and making it uncomfortable...

Registered

They'll rattle your fillings loose.

http://rockauto.com/

http://kyb.com/

The first will give you an idea of inexpensive light shocks per price, the second, if it has GR-2 shocks for Jeep are low-pressure gas.

Registered

-=- originally posted by kevin s -=-
    They'll rattle your fillings loose.
    It's a truck not a Caddie...I like a stiff road feel on straight pavement...but they move good on the bumps too...I tested them,right after install, on the I-94 east towards Detroit airport at 70 mph...man if that isn't a test then I don't know what is...there are potholes that are filled only do the the grace of small foreign cars being made...but everybody is different...hydralic shocks don't cut it with me...too mushy.
    99XJ..01 Sahara..I am a nobody,nobody is perfect,therefore I am perfect...after all is said and done,usually more is said than done!

Registered

I see I see, thanks a lot.

Registered

Get the Gabriel LT, "light truck" shock. I think I paid 12 or 14 apiece and put them on my S-10. Much better ride than the stock shocks, not to stiff.
    99' Cherokee, Rusty's 3" with 1.75" spacer in front, full spring pack in back, BFG muds 31"x10.5".

Registered

I had the regular $19 Gabrial shocks from Pep Boys on my XJ and liked them very much. I think they were just called light truck shocks. In fact I'm still running them on the front with bar pin eliminators with OME springs and they work fine, if not a llittle too short.------Dave
    87 XJ Laredo-D44w/ Lock-Right, 2" OME lift, 31" BFG muds, JKS track bar, RE LCAs, front receiver hitch

Registered

Coo coo. So they have the Light Truck and the Heavy Duty ones? Hrmmm...gotta decide...

-=- originally posted by snow drifter -=-
    Get the Gabriel LT, "light truck" shock. I think I paid 12 or 14 apiece and put them on my S-10. Much better ride than the stock shocks, not to stiff.
    I second these.

http://community.webshots.com/user/chrismaurer
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Yeah, those Sensa-Trac's really suck. I'm not convinced that gas-charged shocks are really a good thing...
    94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

Registered

I'm not sure about your area but in the Boston area AutoZone carries 5 different Gabriel shocks for the XJ. The light truck/SUV shock is the one that you want as has been mentioned above. They are 17.95 ea.

Registered

The gabriel LT w. VST shocks I put on my xj a couple of yrs ago were absolute crap. They caused my tires to get flat spots and rode very badly. I returned them to autozone after 2-3 yrs of use for my money back and got bilstein shocks which were really worth the extra $. After 30 the bilsteins softened up a little more are are even better. They are a mono tube shock and are super. Great rebound and the compression is moderate not too hard. The edelbrock ias shocks on my zj are even better. If I were to get low cost shocks I would think about monroes perhaps. Greg
    Black 97 Limited 5.2, ZJ Quadratrak II Tcase, Traclock rear,factory skids and tow hooks, factory tow package, Bridgestone Revos 235/70/16, Kolak'd suspension -- Edelbrock IAS Shocks and Addco Sway bars front and rear, Kolak Ignition (platinum plugs and MSD Coil & wires).
    Black 89 XJ Laredo 4.0, auto, Selectatrack (242) Tcase, Bilstein Shocks, Kolak ignition (20 yr old Daughter's car at Va Tech!)
    Both owned since new!

Registered

How do you know if the shocks were the cause of your tires getting flat spots after 3 years of use? Isn't that kinda long time and maybe something else happened in those 3 years and god knows how many miles to cause the flat spots? Just curious...

Registered

For the three yrs I had a noise on the passenger side I thought was a bearing growl. Turned out to be the flat spots on the tires on that side. My research and advice from suspension repair people indicated it was likely the shocks since the tires were balanced properly. I now have new tires and shocks and the noise is gone and the new bilsteins give a much better more controlled ride and they softened some after 30 days to a good medium in my opinion ride - w. medium compression and quick rebound. Of course I am rotating and rebalancing tires once a yr and keeping my eye on the tires to make sure it was indeed the old shocks. Greg
    Black 97 Limited 5.2, ZJ Quadratrak II Tcase, Traclock rear,factory skids and tow hooks, factory tow package, Bridgestone Revos 235/70/16, Kolak'd suspension -- Edelbrock IAS Shocks and Addco Sway bars front and rear, Kolak Ignition (platinum plugs and MSD Coil & wires).
    Black 89 XJ Laredo 4.0, auto, Selectatrack (242) Tcase, Bilstein Shocks, Kolak ignition (20 yr old Daughter's car at Va Tech!)
    Both owned since new!

Default shhox

i have the light truck ones on my 96', but i bought the ones that fit an explorer because they were about 4.5" longer than the jeep ones. had to modify the bar pin slightly though. ride great
    88 MJ 6.5" and 35's 4 parts jeeps 2003 TRD Tundra(DD) :stormchas