Thread: jeep wrecked... totaled?

Registered

Angry jeep wrecked... totaled?

ok guys i need some help here with what i should do...
    today i was sitting at a stop light... the guy behiend me was not paying attention and slammed into the back of me going 40mph. i flew into the toyota truck in front of me and the truck flew into a state trooper (yes!). damage to my jeep (my baby) in the rear my hatch was bent in a good bit and my bumper was dinted and so was the gas tank... the real damage was in ther front. the truck in front of me had an extended trailor hitch that stuck out about 14 inches. on the front of my jeep i have a smittybuilt brush guard with 4 hella lights. i really hit this guy hard and the trailor ball took most of the impact of the force and applied it to the space between my brushguard and pushed back my bumper like a good foot or so. the entire front in was bent in like a u and when i woke up after the wreck all i heard was a whine front the engine so i shut it off... before i was taken away i looked at the front end of the jeep... ALL lights broken. brushguard bent all to hell i could see my radiatior bent in a nice U. i could no look inside the hood because between the bent brushguard and the disformed front section the hood portion was not able to open.
    i talked to the police officer who wrote up the report.
    he said IN NO WAY was i at fault. the guy behiend me was totally in the wrong. it makes me sad because i have put my life and tons of hard earned money into this jeep and when i thought about it being totaled and getting just 5900.00 back i was pissed! this guy did this to ME! I did nothing wrong.
    no i have no car and really am not sure what to do. i have full insurance and so does he
    what do i need to look for to see if the car was totaled the brushguards were bolted to the uniframe so could it be bent? what else should i look for?
    to give you an idea as to how hard this fool hit me the speakers in the rear ceiling were thrown out of the sockets.

what do i do?
    do i TRY to get it repaired?
    to i go for the totaled option if so how much can i get? is it possible to get back something like i have put into it?
    what about a rental? i am only 20 ( march 6th was birthday... day of wreck)
    i have a 1997 SE Cherokke 80K
    i do not know what to do... I feel like someone has beat up my kid
    help.
    tyler g. eppes
    clemson. s.c.
    (sorry for the spelling and such i am on a good bit of pain pills right now and am really pissed and thought i would vent)

damage to the other cars: i was hit my a jeep grand cherokee totally MESSED up his front end.
    the toyota was driveable.. major dents on tailgate... front bumper was not harmed
    state trooper car- hood all bent in... tail lights broken... COP PISSED

:steamin: :steamin: :steamin: :steamin:

Registered

It won't be up to you to decide if the vehicle is a total or not. The insurance company will decide that. You have to check the comprehensive section of your insurance policy to see if you are covered by rental insurance. If you have receipts for all of the aftermarket parts that have been installed then you can give them to your insurance agent and it is up to them to fight with the insurance company for the money. You pay your insurance agent to do the work for you. Call them and ask as many questions as you can think of. If they are a good agent they will walk you through everything and make it as painless as possible.

Registered

i guess the question is which would i WANT to happen? to fix my old jeep or total it and get a new one... here is the thing my jeep is worth WAY more than what i am getting from KBB.com by means of all the stuff i have in it (gps, system, lift, lights, roof rack, tire carrier, CB and such) what do i want to have happen.. i mean i do not want a jeep that is going to be fixed and never be like it was before but then agian i do not want to have them right me a check for 6,500 when to buy a cherokee right now is between 10-15K.
    tyler

Registered

There is no way in the world that you will be able to fixe your Jeep. I'm really sorry about that. But even in a minor accident the Unibody takes a pretty good hit. It usually gets tweaked and it very tough to be pulled back into shape, also if it is pulled back it will nost likely not be as strong as it was before.

But there is an upside to this. They total the Jeep, you take some of the insurance money and buy a little commuter car or something else cheap then you buy back your Jeep at junkyard prices. Now you have a nice, gas friendly DD and a beast of a trail rig that you can do anything you want to do to it. So i suggest you buy that Jeep and get to chopping.

Or my other suggestion is to take every thing you can off of the Jeep, CB, system, lift (if you have the stock parts) and save it till you get your check from the insurance company then go out, buy a new Jeep and put all your mods into it. New XJ with all the comforts of your old one and possibly a factory warranty.
    - '00 Sport
    - 4x4 (NP231)
    - 3" Pro-Crap Lift
    - Some Infinity, some Alpine, and some music

Banned

Just hope your insurance company argues this one good as it sounds totaled, and in no way is that gonna be fixable. If your insurance company rocks you can usually get a good deal. My familys rocks, and we have gotton well over blue book on our multitude of totaled cars (3 in the past 3 years) when the other drivers were at fault. Good luck, glad your ok.

Registered

Default update... injury possible ?

ok well no one has called me per the wreck yet.. i went to see my baby... she is banged up pretty good... what should i look for that would point to it being totaled... i am ready for this to be over with... here is the bad thing

ever since the day of the wreck my mid/high back has been sore but now it is kinda turning into a dull pain/ache.... when i layed down for a nap it really bothered me.
    i do not want to be one of those people that fakes crap but is this normal. i do not want to go the doctor and have him think that i am just looking for money. am i really hurt. or is it normal to be sore/pain like this for a few days because of the trama?

thanks guys
    i miss my jeep
    tyler

Registered

Well I would recomend going to the docter and alerting the Insurance company because you don't want to be out some cash because you really got hurt and didnt report it in time. If it turns out to be nothing then noe one is paying out any extra money and it's all good.
    - '00 Sport
    - 4x4 (NP231)
    - 3" Pro-Crap Lift
    - Some Infinity, some Alpine, and some music

Icon314 XJ

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I see a lot of wrekced XJ's at the auction. One with damage front and rear will probably be totaled. Your best bet is to take a settlement from the insurance company and them see how much they want for the XJ if you want to keep it. You could take off all your extras and put them on another one. I have a 1998 Country if you want another XJ. It has 77,000 mile's on it. Asking $5900. E-mail me for details if interested.

tgeppes i had the same exact situation happen with me in my 87 XJ. got rear ended by a ford expedtion, which made me hit a jetta then jetta hit someone. it sucks gettin wrecked when its not your fault at all. it took me forever to get my insurance money for it, but i would recommand buying the jeep back, it was only 300 for mine, and sell it for parts or make it a trail rig.
    91 xj sport 2 door needs motor
    90 xj laredo 2 door

Registered

-=- originally posted by jeepxj90 -=-
    it took me forever to get my insurance money for it
    This is true, their insurance company likes to take their damn sweet time about things, they always do. As far as the Jeep, do what everyone else is saying and go and take all of your upgrades off and put the stock stuff back on. Buying it back is an option depending on the price. When they totalled my jeep, the salvage price was 3000 and they only gave me 3800. So with 3000 in damage this was not an option for me. Since my jeep was totalled in the rear, it still had a perfectly running 4.0 HO and aw4 tranny, so they probably auctioned my jeep off for as much money as they gave me. That way they didn't lose any money at all, insurance companies are always trying to do that. The estimate of damage on my jeep was 3000, so instead of paying for it to get fixed, they gave me 3800? See my jeep was hit on the back tire, and pushed my axle back and messed that all up. But nothing that a new axle and some sheet metal wouldn't fix. We tried to get more money, it just wasn't going to happen. But the insurance company said that if we had a bill of sale for the amount I payed that they would compensate my loss. So if you do have all of the reciepts for your mods, then definently take them in, and they have to pay you...........

And sorry but no rental for you, have to be 25 to drive one.........:rant:

Registered

Default wreckt'em

In Calif. you have the right to buy your totalled vehicle back from the ins. co. for %10 of it's value. I wish I knew that when my wife totalled our first XJ.

Bummer dude.

Goto the doctor, Your pain could be as simple as strained muscles or as bad a fractures and spur's.

Your jeep is toast, Get help from your ins company on this, or a lawyer. Either one are there to help, Let yours know about the pain, and go see the doctor, Your INS carrier will be more gratious then thiers as for as bills. Your's will pry it out of his later. I bet his will drop him after they pay this accident out. 4 cars damaged or which 2 are totalled. geeeeeze

State Farm in Virginia gives you the option to either fully total the car at book value, or for a slightly reduced amount keep the truck and pocket some $$$.

We had a massive hailstorm a few years ago, and my Audi was totalled at 2500. I kept the car and pocketed 2100, then proceded to put full coverage back on it again. The dents worked themselves out eventually!
    94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

Registered

Default update

just talked with my insurance company... seems like i have a good rep. he told me to use autotrader.com to find what the average price for a jeep similar to mine was and then find out how much it would cost to put many of the same up grades on it.
    i got the average cost for a jeep for sale yrs 1997-2001 with similar miles and upgrades
    $11,900
    i only did EXACTLY half of my upgrades (brushguard, lights, and such) and came up with
    $1,300
    so it would take around 13K to get a similar jeep to mine with the same upgrades...
    i talked to the ins rep about the prices i got. he seemed to think i deserved around that amount. why would the my insurance company care this much about what i put into my jeep...
    i really liked the way my ins. rep. put it....

you had a really nice car that you worked very hard on
    this guy hit you and took it away from you deserve a similar jeep... you did nothing wrong and should still have a nice car

is he giving me a bs run around? or can this really happen?