Thread: Who makes the best Hardtop for a TJ

Registered

Question Who makes the best Hardtop for a TJ

I have a 2002 TJ. Ineed a hardtop. who makes the best one Bestop, Sierra, Targa, Pavement ends, or Fleet Air. I like fleet airs roof rack system. Any info would be great, Thanks
    2002 yellow TJ sport, 5 speed 4.0L, Teraflex S3T, 33x12.50 BFG MT/KM, 15x10 AR 136, Bestop tire carrier

Just go to Jeep for one of theirs. I never had an issue with the fit, quality or finish of mine.

Check the For Sale forums, other Jeep sites/classifieds and junkyards. I always see people selling them.

BB

Get a factory one. They are on the for sale board fairly often.

Registered

I am interested in this as well. My factory top was just trashed by a recent ice storm that passed through. The new factory top is $2000 and the Bestop Fleet Aire is about $1700 with a Targa top which looks kind of interesting.

Thanks,

James
    1994 ZJ, OME HD Springs, 2" BB, 31 x10.50 BFG AT's

Here but not installed yet, Super 35 w/Detroit, Kevin's Radiator Support

It's someone's lucky day.

Good Price.

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...hreadid=357946

Registered

Before buying a used factory hardtop I did this same research. Everyone I talked to who had an aftermarket top complained of poor fit and leaky seals. Lots of interior noise comparted to a factory hardtop. Good luck.
    White 2000 TJ Sport 4.0L , auto, 3:73's, D30 w/ARB, OME HD 2.5, Tera steering skid, Tomken rock sliders, 33X10.5 BFG AT's on canyons, Alpine CD & amp, 8" bazooka behind the insta- trunk.

get the factory version. Best quality, fit, finish you can get. Used they are often in the 800-1000 range and patience pays off.

The only hardtop really worth the money is Mopar's.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

Registered

I got my hardtop from a JU member for $700. Near perfect condition. Since winter is almost over, wait till summer, thats when hard tops are usually the cheapest.

Patrick

Registered

Mopar!!
    Jeep Sahara TJ- OME HD Lift, ARB Bull Bar, Rock Ready Tie Rod, Custom Drive Shaft, Rustys LCA's, JKS Adj Trac Bar, JKS Disco's, Addco rear Sway bar,285/70/16 Toyo Open Country Tires, Jb Conversions HD SYE , Dana 44, Hurst shifter, Landrunner Roof Rack,Piaa Lights,Banks Header and other junk!!!!
    Oh yea my wife has a libby limited (Traded the libby for a nissan armada)

I'm gonna have to agree. Get one from the Factory. I love mine and have had no problems with it at all. Some of the aftermarket ones I have heard of fitment issues as well as leaking, etc etc.
    For the largest selection of Jeep Parts visit 4Wheel Drive Hardware

Definitely get a factory top. If you want all of the bells 'n whistles, some factory tops come w/ tinted windows, dome light, rear window defroster, and rear window wiper/washer.

If you're having difficulties finding a good used top in your area, you might consider looking for used TJ's in your local classifieds (or the Autotrader) and see if anyone is interested in selling their hard top. That's what I finally resorted to doing. Otherwise, as mrblaine said, just be patient.

- Chris

Registered

Get a used factory top. best one available. I picked up a fleet air...roof rack system, targa style with a sunroof...and while all that is nice, the upper sliders suck and the doors never seal right. Plus that thing costs $2250 new as opposed to around $700 for a used one. (I only paid $450 for it but that was a stroke of luck) ... and if you have to ship one..call Amtrak...might be pretty cheap...although they do have a lot of accidents...
    97 4 Banger oIIIIIIIo
    3.5 RE~33x10.50 BFG's ~ Hot (pregnant)blonde in the pass. seat , TB Spacer, K&N, Custom 6x9 Soundbar, Hellas, MM/BL, wal-mart floormats, Wet Okole Camo SC's, homemade hand throttle, pro comp LCA's, WP bumpers, Kilby skids, Cobra CB w/7' Firestick and lots of ZIP ties and wing nuts!

God Bless from Alaska!

Get a Custom Soundbar!
    http://www.TrailTunes.com