Thread: electric fuel pump on AMC 360

Registered

Default electric fuel pump on AMC 360

Hey guys...

Was on the trail yesterday and my rig died on a hill climb. After getting myself up to a level spot I found that the fuel pump wasn't pumping any gas. No filter in between the tank and the pump. Someone mentioned vapor lock but since my tank isn't air tight I didn't think that could happen. Anyway... I plan on replacing my fuel pump as preventative maintenance but wanted to go to an electric pump. What do I need to look for in an electric pump for this beast?

Thanks guys.

-gvb

JKer with CJ/FSJ blood Ken Gaines's Avatar

You could try one of the pumps by Purolator...I don't know which one would pump enough, but it couldn't be that much.
    Another idea is to look on a Ford that had EFI. The pump should work off of 12V from IGN or ACC power...or switched from the battery. These Ford pumps are the same kind of pump my EFI project will probably use when it is completed.
    Originally stated by Mr.George Carlin -=-
    You know what's the best thing about living on the edge of the water? You only have * * * * * * *s living on three sides of you. If they come from the other side, you can hear them splashing!!!
    "Life is a journey that's measured not in miles or years, but in experiences."
    -Jimmy Buffett 1998
    "If you don't fish, you should."
    -D.A. McKee Ph.D., 2002 TAMUCC Ichthyology Class Intro Lecture (How much more wisdom could one need than this?)
    O)||||||(O
    Ken

Forum Leader

Why electric? Seems like another place for something to go wrong to me. If you had an EFI engine needing higher pressure or a high CFM carburetor I coulc see it. For overall dependability you can't beat the mechanical pump.

Registered

I run a carter CRT-P4594 electric, I keep a spare in my jeep box..

I dont like manual fuel pumps and when I switched to the Electric I was able to place my fuel line on the oppsite side of the jeep exhaust.

You'll probably want a block off plate to cover the hole left by the removed fuel pump. I am told that the plate for a big block chevy fits just fine.
    Try out my gear ratio calculator

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.

Registered

you mentioned you rig died on a hill climb?
    Ever think that maybe the fuel ran away from the pickup tube while on the incline?
    Even an electric won't find fuel if there is none around the pick up.
    Casey Lynn
    OEM DieselAccount Engineer
    Volvo Penta of the Americas
    '82 CJ Built&Balanced 360
    '84 Scrambler-Under Construction

Registered

daddythunderbird: as simple as it sounds, no I didn't even think about that, and it is possible that I was in just the right position, but once I winched myself up to flat ground, it still wouldn't pump gas.

I think I am just going to replace the mech. pump. this has never happened before, and I've been on much steeper inclines.

-gvb

Registered

Mechnical or electric there both going to act the same way...

If it died on an incline more then likly you were either low on fuel or your Senders fuel pick up wasnt in gas.

Get a clear fuel filter, put it by the carb, if it runs out of fuel again, open the hood and look at the filter as you crank the motor, you will see it pulsing as the motor turns over. IF you dont then your Pump isnt working.

Registered

I have changed to electric pumps on both of my Jeeps. One was a nicly built 360 with a Edlebrock 600 and my current one with a stock 304. Both of them had problems with vapor locking with the stock pumps.

I now run a Carter electric at 4-6 psi and thats more then enough for my MC2100.

The other reason is that every time I turn the key on I can hear the pump going. No hear pump, need new pump. Simple as that. The other thing is that it pressurizes the fuel system so that you don't have to pump the pedel to get it to start. A clear fuel filter is a great thing also.

I also have a spare on the engine, it's called a mechanical fuel pump.
    1979 CJ7,304/T18a/Moser axle's