Thread: I.O.D fuse keeps blowing

Registered

Icon314 I.O.D fuse keeps blowing

Anyone experience this problem. The I.O.D fuse keeps blowing. What is the I.O.D anyway. When it blows I have no interior lights, no radio, no power locks and no power windows. This is for a 1993 XJ. Check all the rest of the fuses under dash and under hood. This one is the culprit....The search function when it is working doesn't have a match for I.O.D. Anyone have a fix for this............thanxs
    1989 XJ 4.0l with rebuilt motor and Rusty's airtube and a larger than Rusty's K&N cone filter, MSD-6a w/ SS Blaster Coil, Addco heavy duty sway bars front&back w/ performance suspension tech polygraphite bushings, flowmaster muffler, dynamax hi-flow cat w/ 2.5 inch exhaust, accel 8.8mm ignition wires,distributor cap & rotor, Mr. Alternator 160 amp alternator & high torque starter w/ 4 guage wiring upgrade, IPF replacement headlamps w/ magic J h4 bulbs, Hesco ignition enhancement pkge, Mike Leach header, Hesco RVOB cam, 19lb/hr injectors and AW-4 race tranny.
    Wishlist hi-flow TB

I did a search for 'IOD' and apparently it stands for Ignition Off Draw. It powers your stuff that comes on when the key isn't in the ignition (dome lights, etc). One guy mentioned something about a short in his side mirrors causing it...
    94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

Registered

Anyone else have anything. I must have a short somewhere. Right now it's too cold and way too much snow on the ground.
    1989 XJ 4.0l with rebuilt motor and Rusty's airtube and a larger than Rusty's K&N cone filter, MSD-6a w/ SS Blaster Coil, Addco heavy duty sway bars front&back w/ performance suspension tech polygraphite bushings, flowmaster muffler, dynamax hi-flow cat w/ 2.5 inch exhaust, accel 8.8mm ignition wires,distributor cap & rotor, Mr. Alternator 160 amp alternator & high torque starter w/ 4 guage wiring upgrade, IPF replacement headlamps w/ magic J h4 bulbs, Hesco ignition enhancement pkge, Mike Leach header, Hesco RVOB cam, 19lb/hr injectors and AW-4 race tranny.
    Wishlist hi-flow TB

Registered

I had the same problem. On my Jeep, I use the security system to lock/unlock the doors all the time. Once, the fuse blew and I couldn't unlock the doors. Had to drill the locks. Long story, don't ask.

Anyway, I traced the short to the driver's door switch cluster. More specifically, the power window lock/unlock switch. If you haven't pulled the switches out yet, you'll find that all the electrical connections terminate in a big see-through plastic block that all the switches clip on to. It's a really cheap design and I will soon replace all the switches with momentary toggles.

Just another example of the fine engineering that went into our Jeeps.

"It's a Jeep Thing, You Wouldn't Understand" (...why they $%^$'ed up the electrical system but got everything else right)

Frank
    Red '93 2WD 4DR XJ "Country" H.O. 4.0, AW4 Auto, 8.25" with 3.55 turning 31x10.5x15 Capitol's on stock 15x7 wheels. GDI 3 Row, FlowKooler pump, Borgeson shaft, Rubicon Express Adj. Track Bar, Rancho RS5000 Stabilizer & Shcoks, Rancho +3" Coils & LCA's, Chevy 4" Drop Shackles with ExplorerProComp Short AAL's, Inland Driveline Extended Driveshaft, K&N Flat Filter, Relocated IAT at Insulated Airbox/Intake Hose, Nissan 300ZX Hood Vents, Fan Clutch Eliminator, Electric Fan Override, SpinTech 2.25" Exhaust, Rear Turn Signals Rewired for #1147's (running lights), Bored Throttle Body, Hood Pins, CB, Twin Sticks, Pioneer Head Unit, Crimestopper Remote Start Keyless Entry Security System, Dual Air Horns, Cut Fenders, 2nd Gear Lock Switch, Cut Rear Quarters, Aluminum Diamond Plate Body Armor, 6 Cyl. EGT Gauge, Dual OAT/Intake Air Temp Gauge, Aluminum Door & Hatch Panels, APU Receptacle,

Default im new

ok so im new to this site anyway my i.o.d fuse isnt blown but it isnt gettimng power any ideas what could be happening????

Having the same issue on my 97 XJ.

I checked the driver side door switch and it seems they changed the door switch cluster to control modules after '96. Traced the problem to what seems to be the door jamb switches. When they are connected and out in the door open position, the IOD fuse blows.

Basically if the door jamb switches are pushed in, the fuse does not blow and everything works properly. However, when the ignition is turned on and the door jamb switches are still pushed in, the door locks fail to lock while the unlock side of the switch still works. At any time, allowing the door jamb switches to spring open blows the fuse and everything on the common circuits fail.

Thanks for any help.

**update**

if key is on or chime is on the door locks will only unlock, if key is out then door locks function normally... ?? WTH??

Registered

Icon924

Had this same fuse blow on me last week,it took out my dome lights,radio,door locks,don't know about windows,didn't check,I was just pissed i lost dome lights during the day.LOL.then found out i had no door locks,no radio,that was when i tore into the door luck buttons,should have just left it kiss.(keep it simple stupid)and checked the fuse first.live and learn.
    Had my cherokee for 9 years and it still manages to have me scratching my head some days.
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

Registered

Icon924

2 weeks ago I had a major short,when you would turn on the left turn signal,or put your foot on the brake pedal,the dash lights would light up,or blink if my left turn signal was on.drove me crazy.turned out to be my 4 way trailer light plug,took out the tailight converter too.found a new one on the clearance rack at walmart for 7.00. everyone else wanted 20.00 or more.
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by SexyMolicious View Post
    **update**

if key is on or chime is on the door locks will only unlock, if key is out then door locks function normally... ?? WTH??
    Normal.

If you open the door with the key in the ignition switch a chime will sound and the doors will not lock. Keeps you from locking your keys in the car.

With the key removed the truck thinks (lol) that you have your keys in hand so it's okay to lock the door.

Nice feature.
    Jeep XJ Sport, DOM: April 1999, Vin S Engine, AW4 Trans, NP242J XFR Case, Corp 8.25 Rear Gear. Bone Stock except Ford XF2E-C4B Injectors

Default IOD Fuse 99 Cherokee kept blowing

I had the same problem, real intermittent. Ended up being a short/grounding in the wires leading to the overhead dome light. Passenger side near where the sun visor mounts there's a sharp edge that eventually cut though the wire casing. Hopefully this will be some help to someone, sure took me a while to track this one down.