Thread: Dana 44 Weaknesses

Default Dana 44 Weaknesses

I am just beginning to work on a Dana 44 out of a Comanche (right width, right bolt circle, bigger brakes, getting new brackets) to put it on my TJ. Does anybody know of any particular weaknesses I should be addressing in the 44 as I am rebuilding it? I am looking at doing 5.39 gears to get back essentially stock performance (35" tires) and this would mean removing the Dana 30 in front and putting a 44 in there also. so the questions are...

1. Where do the Dana 44 gears start to become weaker as the gears get lower? 4.88? 5.39? 5.89?

2. How strong is the carrier? Do they stand up well to a Lock-Rite? or do I need to put in a Detroit (which I might anyway, but I am real curious if they stand up to a Lock-Rite OK)?

3. Are there any other known Dana 44 problems (bearings, tubes bending, etc.) that I need to know of and address?

Thanks!

98 TJ, 4 cyl, 35" tires, 4:1, 4" sus lift, 1" BL/MM

My tubes started to spin, not much and they didn't move out of place so I had them welded.

Ross
    2001 TJ, 6 cly, dana 44, 5spd, 33 TrXus MTs, tera 3st, ome shocks, warn HS9500i, OYR Side Panels, ARBs Front and Rear, 4.56 gears, Tera Belly, 1"bl, 1.5"mm, Jim Reel Drive shaft.

UK or engerland as it is known on the terraces

Lockrite will not really work with 35's due to leverage problems, they will act as an open diff.
    the axle you are looking at is miles better than a 35, It should handle those gears, but I would question that you need to go to 5.39 for stock performance, a I6, 4l manual will be close to stock with 4.56 only with 35's.
    I am not sure when D44 get "weaker" as such wih gearing, I always thought D44's started to break with higher gearing more because higher gearing usually meant taller tyres and it was this that put too much strain on the axle, I could be wrong and I am sure others will point this out
    From the home
    of warm beer

The 5.39's should get it back to to stock performance (on road) as the TJ came with 27" (more or less) tires and I went up to 35". With the stock gearing of 4.11, I need to be around 5.39 to be the "same". If I were to put in 4.88's, performance should be around what it was with 4.11's and 31" tires, which was OK, but I lost a lot of fifth gear.

I should have mentioned that I have tha manual transmission, and stock 4.11 gears in the initial post. Oops!

The ring gear is of a fixed size, so as the gearing goes up, the pinion gets smaller. The pinion starts to get really small on a D44 above 4.88. This is not to say that it becomes the weak link. With an open diff, I would guess above 4.88 gears, the pinion is the weak link on an open or limited slip diff, but on a locker, the axle is probably still the weakest link. On the front, the u-joint is the weak link, then the axle, then the gears or hub (not sure).

This is assuming the Comanche had the thicker axle tubes, which I believe it did.

I am not any expert, so everything I stated above is just my opinion from my experiences. I have also seen several exploded lock-rights, but never a detroit.
    Rubicon with 4.5" Long Arm, 1" BL, 35" MTR, and too much more to list. See www.ntinnovations.com/jeep

2000 JGC Limited 4.7 QD UC 4" Lift 32"x10.5 BFG ATKO Tires, And other good stuff

Registered

-=- originally posted by cabletow -=-
    Lockrite will not really work with 35's due to leverage problems, they will act as an open diff.
    I am curious as to how you came up with this theory? I know of many people (at least 13 that I can think of off of the top of my head) running the lockright in D44s with anywhere from the 36-38.5" range and every single one of them is more than pleased with the performance. In fact, many are just flat out suprised at its ability to handle the large meats w/o damage. I can also not comprehend how in the hell it could "act as an open diff" ? It is a full locker... its a lunchbox... but still a full locker, not a limited slip. So anyway, educate me with your wisdom...
    '95YJ - 5.0HO, NP435, Twin-Stick NP205, D44, 8.8 36" IROKs, 106.5" wheelbase, locked, full cage, S9000 winch, Flowmaster, flat-fendered and Poison Spider Comp Corners

'01 Chevy 2500HD, Vortec 6.0, 4L80E, FF14b w/ 4.10s, 4dr, bedliner, etc...

-=- originally posted by cabletow -=-
    What? If it acts as an open diff with any size tire then it's busted! Plenty of folks run that locker with that size and larger.
    See the Geezer Jeep http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm
    Getting Savvy...
    Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

The gear ratio that you want to use will have a very small pinion gear. It will become a very weak link. Fewer teeth = weaker.

As for your Lock Right idea: The Lock Right fits into a standard open carrier which is rather weak. The break regularly in HD off roading. If you read their info, it is for 'the occasional off-roader'. With your gearing you will be putting even more torque to the stock carrier. Use them up front if you want, but for the rear, use a full carrier locker.

Please, no flaming about the Lock Right. It does a great job for what it's designed for....'occasional'. If they were the hot ticket and equal to a Detroit, all the rock crawlers would use them cuz they're cheaper.
    Jeepin' is a lifestyle, not a hobby!!

OK. So far the potential weaknesses of the (rear) Dana 44 are:

1. Tubes might spin
    2. Stick with a full carrier replacement locker (i.e. Detroit)
    3. Even with lower gears (say 5.39's), the gears are not the weakest link.

Anyother comments regarding any inherent weaknesses in the Dana 44? And thanks for the input. I am looking forward to this project!

P.S. My Dana 35 is holding up to the 35" tires (so far!!!). It has a Lock-Rite in it. The Lock-Rite broke a cross pin with my old 31's, but it may have been the wrong cross pin (it was a hardened pin, but it had a hole drilled in each end and the pin broke across the hole in the end that the retainer pin was NOT in. Overall, I was happy with the Lock-Rite, and their service, but I don't particularly care for the backlash it introduces into the drive train.

Registered

Axles, from my exsperence anyway, lockright would probably be the strongest thing in the 44, detroit would be stronger for it would replace the carrier, with alloys and detroit you would be safe with 35's. As far as the 538's , have not found them to be weak, my breakage has been the alloy shafts, there is folks running 589's and big rubber on 44's, not me, hope to keep mine alive until I can upgrade, just a little smarter on the long pedal.
    97tj, I6, 5speed 4to1 HP44F, Warns, CTM's, Detroit & 538's, 9inchR ,Strange Nod & spool, 35 spline Mossers & 543's
    15x10's Champion beadlocked 39.5 Iroks,Full Cage, Full armor, PaPa's Toy,F250 tow Usual Suspects Offroad

Registered

I think 5.39 is a little steep if you do any highway driving, I've got 5.13 on 35's with an auto and I run about 2500 RPM at 45 MPH, and almost 4000 RPM at 75 MPH (Interstate speed limit). Also I run a lock-rite and have no problems so far.
    92' YJ, D44 front w/ locrite, D44 rear w/ full spool and 5.13 gears, 4.5" RE XD lift, 2" body lift, AGR box and pump, 35" MTR's. Accurate Power 4.6 stroker motor.