Thread: Brakes Smoking, Jeep won't stop!

Registered

Default Brakes Smoking, Jeep won't stop!

I'm so glad I found this forum. As a memeber of VWVortex, I know how CLUTCH these forums can be, so I thank you in advance for your repsonses. I utilized the search feature and found a few threads on my topic, but none that quite the same. The carl is my girlfriend's. It is a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee laredo with the 5.2L V8. It has about 150,000 miles on her now. Yesterday she called extremely upset. She says she left work, and driving down the 101 she started to smell something burn, and she went to pull over and stop to see, the truck would not stop. Once it finally came to a stop, she said smoke was pouring out of the wheels, and it stunk when she came back to work. I figured seized caliper, floormat holding brake pedal down, or her resting her foot on the brake pedal. Well, the only thing it could be is the seized caliper. I topped off the fluid for her last night and drove it around for awhile, and couldn't get it to do it again. I don't feel safe with her driving, but I'm not 100% at what the problem is, becuase it won't seize for me. Any help is appreciated. BTW her dad replaced the front brake pads about 2 or 3 months ago, and this issue ahs only happened twice, both times after the new pads were installed.
    2003 VW Beetle Turbo S
    19ft Sea Ray 190 Bowrider w/ NOS

Registered

That much smoke had to cause some wear... check the pads for the culprit. Sounds like she may have gotten something inside the brake line which might have jammed the rotor. Was the parking brake off?

Could also have been several other things, but you need to find the wheel(s) which caused it to start the troubleshooting.

Greg
    99 WJ, 4.7L, Clayton's LA, BFG Mud Terrains 315/75/R16, K&N FIPK, rear Addco, Kevin's Sliderz, Surco Safari rack, VIAIR 450 OBA, Kolak exhaust, ARB bumper, Warn HS9500, Xenon's w/harness... more to follow

Registered

I had a similar problem, after I replace my pads a few years ago. The caliper kept sticking. I overhauled the caliper and found a lot of crud built up on the side of the piston.

If I were you I would replace the caliper with a reman, It's not worth rebuilding now, the price of reman calipers has dropped, by the time you buy the rebuild kit and the hardware kit, your near the price of a reman caliper.

Also it could also be a failing rubber brake hose, I had one that that locked up a caliper my old Dodge.

When you have the caliper off you can flush the brake line at the same time.

Good luck,

Brett
    Jeeper93
    93ZJ 4.0
    Bought it new in 92 and I'll drive it until the wheels fall off, then I'll get new wheels.

I also think its a seized caliper. The smoke was most likely brake fluid boiling and leaking past the caliper piston seal.

It must be a front caliper. The majority of stopping power is up front. If she lost a rear caliper it wouldn't feel like no brakes.

Was the Jeep pulling right or left? This would also point to stuck caliper. It would be unlikely to have both calipers seize.

Registered

I always throw in a set of reman calipers every 3rd or 4th brake job to prevent things like this. They are really cheap ($30/ea plus core charge). If you feel like it, rebuild kits for stock calipers are about $9, and real easy to install.

I remember when I did my back drum brakes for the first time in 90k miles... the wheel cylinders where full of this brownish slime, and there were indeed some solids in there. They were $20/ea.

- Joe
    '94 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8, 121k miles, Ford 8.8 w/ POSI, NV242, headers, custom-built 3" stainless exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, K&N FIPK, custom-built 4 wheel disc brakes, Flowkooler water pump
    Import Performance Transmissions custom 46RH trans and torque converter

Registered

Thanks for the input so far guys. It didn't pull to any side at all, that was what differed from the threads I searched. The pads looked good. The truck hasn't done it since yesterday. I think we'll go with re-manned calipers. $30 isn't too bad, especially for her safety. Thanks again guys!
    2003 VW Beetle Turbo S
    19ft Sea Ray 190 Bowrider w/ NOS