Thread: Speaker sizes for 2001 Cherokee Sport

Registered

Question Speaker sizes for 2001 Cherokee Sport

Does anyone know what the front door and rear roof speaker sizes are for a 2001 Cherokee Sport? Thanks!

Registered

Front door speakers can take 6 1/2's no problem, rears take 5 1/4's no problem. From the factory it comes with 5 1/4's up front and in the back, but the hole in the front is made for 6 1/2's.

You can cut the rears to make 6 1/2's fit in there but there's not that much of an advantage to doing that so I wouldn't recommend taking the time, but some people do it and like it... Also, don't ever expect bass from the rear speakers, no matter what you put back there.

Registered
    Virginia Beach, VA(home) or Blacksburg, VA(school)

jnecr, I'm not bashing you or trying to cut you down, but....I have an '01 XJ and I had 5.25s in the rear and they sounded like crap. So I upgraded to the same series 6.5s and it made a world of difference. BTW, they were planet audios if you care, and the fronts are blapunkts. As for the bass, I admit you don't "feel" more bass, but you do here it. I'm about to put in two twelves, so we'll see what happens. Peace

Ary

BTW, JC2001 I didn't trim that much in the rear, and I know that some 6.5 speakers don't require any trimming. As for the front, be careful 'cause some speakers won't fit because of both front and rear clearances. HTH. If you have any questions feel free to email me at arebrahi@vt.edu

------------------
    2001 Silverstone Cherokee Sport w/ Up-Country
    Mods: CB, old Sony head unit(pulled it out of my Crown Vic), New speakers(6.5 all the way 'round), and a Yakima rack w/ steelhead bike carrier, shovel mount, and spare tire mount
    Future mods(to happen soon): Husky Floor liners, Hella 500's, Roof Rack accesories -Hi-lift, and Axe mt., Alpine Head unit to go with current upgraded speakers
    Distant Mods: Lift-probably 3-4.5" or a BB to start with, 30's, front & Rear bumpers, K&N, Complete exhaust(header through muffler incl. cat), and more that I haven't thought of yet...

[This message has been edited by Arya Ebrahimi (edited 09-03-2001).]
    "Not all those who wander, are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

I understand your Jeep thing, that's why I drive a TOYOTA

Registered

Ary, do you have baffles or anything behind the rear speakers? And did you ever put in aftermarket 5 1/4's or did you skip right to the 6 1/2's? I have thought about making the rear's sound a little better in terms of bass, but with the sub it doesn't really make that much difference, the only thing I'm worried about now is wearing out the speaker because it just sorta flops around in there with no enclosure or anything.

Registered

What do you mean by baffles? As far as the 5.25s go, I had the same series planet audios hooked up in there and they sounded like crap. So my shop let me exchange them for the 6.5s. They are just running of my HU though which is only 35 X 4(an old sony). They definately sound better than by blapunkts(did that on purpose 'cause I knew I wanted to eventually get components for the front and my guy gave me my blapunkts for 50$). Anyway, as far as the speaker just flopping around in there, it is screwed in securely(i added some screws) and the headliner/soundbar is pretty secure to begin with. I think I will eventually reconfigure it though, so that I can have a small(in size) amp to drive the speakers, but that's just me dreaming. If you have anymore questions about how I set it up just post a reply(I would post my email, but somehow I've been getting emailed viruses from this forum). Peace

Ary

Registered

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys, your info has been useful.....As for the system, I plan on putting Kenwood Excelon's in the front and back. I'm going to try to power them with the factory receiver at first, but if that doesn't work i'll buy a small amp for them or a new receiver. I also plan on putting in a 12" JL Audio sub powered by a RF Punch-250. I don't want anything too loud, so this should be plenty. Any ideas? Thanks.

Registered

I would definately get a new Head Unit or Amp. I ran my speakers off of the factory reciever for about two weeks 'cause I didn't have time to get my HU installed. Let me tell you, it sucked. You will lose about half your volume, i.e. the volume knob doesn't do anything past the halfway point. However, if you turn it up real fast, it will get louder, but it will sound like **** and then it will automatically turn itself back down. As for the subs and amp combo, I don't know much about those so I'll let someone else answer that. Peace.

Ary

Registered

Ary, by flopping around I meant that it doesn't have any enclosure or anything, there's no pressure, so the cone literally just flops around. Much like setting the speaker on a table and playing it. And by baffle I meant one of those things that crutchfield sells for way too much, it's just a rubber piece that gives the speaker a small kind of enclosure. It's not a big thing because the speaker is so small, but if you did the same to a sub woofer you'd ruin it after quite awhile of doing that, unless of course it was meant for that.

jc2001, I'd definitely get a new HU, but you can go for a little while on the factory one, but if you're thinking about a sub you will basically have to get one sooner or later.

Pavement Pounder

Thumbs up

I have the Mopar CD/Casette deck, code named "RAZ" and I tell ya...I wouldn't trade that thing for love or money. I have yet to find an aftermarket HU that has as good of imaging or overall sound quality as this one does, and trust me..I have had my share of cars and systems. I added a sub to mine and replaced all the speakers with Infinity Reference series, and when I "demo" it for people, nobody can believe how good it sounds, and that it's a factory head unit.
    The standard casette deck that comes in most XJ Sports and Classics I will openly admit, blows chunks. Barely adequate is about the best phrase I have to describe that POS.

My buddy who is a car stereo installer still can't get over how good my system sounds, and considering he has over $6000 invested in his system, I take that as a huge compliment! If I had crap, he'd also be the first one to tell me, too!

------------------
    Mike Watkins

2001 Cherokee Classic

My Jeep pics

AIM: Jeepaholic9640
    '98 ZJ Limited Bright Platinum 5.2L
    *Soon to be sold*

'02 Durango SLT to take its place!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nolimits:
    I have the Mopar CD/Casette deck, code named "RAZ" and I tell ya...I wouldn't trade that thing for love or money. I have yet to find an aftermarket HU that has as good of imaging or overall sound quality as this one does, and trust me..I have had my share of cars and systems. I added a sub to mine and replaced all the speakers with Infinity Reference series, and when I "demo" it for people, nobody can believe how good it sounds, and that it's a factory head unit.
    The standard casette deck that comes in most XJ Sports and Classics I will openly admit, blows chunks. Barely adequate is about the best phrase I have to describe that POS.

My buddy who is a car stereo installer still can't get over how good my system sounds, and considering he has over $6000 invested in his system, I take that as a huge compliment! If I had crap, he'd also be the first one to tell me, too!

</font>
    Go get a Sony ES c90, then post again...

------------------
    ~Milan
    1993 ZJ Laredo
    4.0 Liter
    1995 ZJ 5.2
    1998 ZJ 5.9 SOLD
    1993 ZJ 4.0 SOLD

Registered

I have a '01 Cherokee Limited and I have the regular CD/Cass player and it is NOT good, way too tinny and the volume control and the fade controls (a joystick fade control, how gay) absolutely suck, will get a new head unit asap, and speakers (duh)