Thread: broken thermostat housing bolt!!!

Registered

Default broken thermostat housing bolt!!!

well i was trying to change my thermostat when removeing the 2nd bolt it snapped i tried using vise grips to get it out but it wouldnt grip.. any suggestions?? thanks nath
    God Bless Texas!!

96 Chevy 4X4 S10 Blazer(family truckster)
    85 JEEP XJ with that awesome 2.8 V6!-3" lift kit, high flow exhaust,32" bfg at's & 22 mpg!

I assume you mean the bolt head broke off and all that is left is the shank sticking up? There are other approaches to fixing this kind of problem, but this is the one I would take.

Probably the threads are rusted. First you need to soak the bolt with penetrating oil and let it sit for _at least_ overnight. Stuff a rag down the thermostat hole to keep metal shavings out of your cooling system. Clean off the oil with solvent on a rag. Then get a file or small grinder and make PARALLEL flats on the sides of the shank so that the vise grips will not slip. It's very important that the flats are parallel and lined up 180 degrees from each other, or the pliers will slip. Don't scar up the gasket mating surface or your troubles will be worse.

Really reef down tight on the pliers with the handle sticking straight up, place a large adjustable (crescent) wrench on the ViseGrip handle to pull on and see if that frees the bolt. Be careful - if it looks as if the pliers are going to slip, stop and reposition them and try again. Finesse, not brute force is necessary here.

If that doesn't work you need to drill the shank and try as large an "easy out" as will fit. Make sure the hole is well centered and straight up and down. It will help to file the top flat and center-punch it first. Tap the easy out into the hole with a small hammer and turn the easy out as you gently tap. Often the bolt will snap free just as you are about to give up and start swearing.

If you aren't comfortable doing this sort of hacking on your Jeep, find a mechanically inclined friend who will help you.

Worst case scenario? A tow to a machine shop for serious help. The remains of the bolt can be removed and a Heli-Coil insert installed if it gets that bad.

Be patient and take your time and things will likely work out fine. Be sure to run a tap through all the threaded holes to clear out any rust, and use anti-seize compound when you reassemble the 'stat.

Good luck.

Registered

becareful, and dont break the ease out , it would be about impossible to drill out! so becareful. i broke the ease out and ended up taking the head out to a machine shop and had them drill the hole out and thread it back and while they had it i had them test the head and repair/replace anything on the head. Only cost $60 and they replaced some springs and valves.
    00 TJ Solar Yellow 4.0L D44, 3.73s, NV 3550, Sailcloth top, Rustys K&N
    91 XJ 4.0L,Snorkel, Locked F&R, 4.56s, Warn hubs, alloy axles, D44, 36x12.50 tsl sx,headers, rock bumper, warn 8000i
    94 XJ 4.0L Full Exo-Cage
    Scars are tattoos with better stories!!!!

Registered

You could weld a nut onto the end of the broken bolt (if you know anyone with a welder).
    4.0L, aw4, 231 Mega sgort shaft, SOA, D60 front locked, D70 rear Locked, 38" Michelin XML's, Red Nek hood scoop.

You can't please everyone, but it IS possible to make' em all mad at the same time.

-=- originally posted by John Davies -=-
    Probably the threads are rusted. First you need to soak the bolt with penetrating oil and let it sit for _at least_ overnight.
    Good luck.
    For the Penatrating oil, I highly recommend using 'PB penatrating catalyst.' That stuff in the shiOt!

Registered

thanks for the info BUT i dont hink its rust when i pulled the 1st one out it loked like it has some hd locktite on it is therea solvent that will dissolve the locktite? thanks again for all the info....
    God Bless Texas!!

96 Chevy 4X4 S10 Blazer(family truckster)
    85 JEEP XJ with that awesome 2.8 V6!-3" lift kit, high flow exhaust,32" bfg at's & 22 mpg!

Registered

-=- originally posted by mycj7 -=-
    You could weld a nut onto the end of the broken bolt (if you know anyone with a welder).
    That has my vote!!

Registered

Generally there is no factory loctite on thermostats. Maybe sealant from a previous owner or good ol' rust.
    moderator of NAMDRA Forum

Food for thought.
    You never have either the time or money to fix it right, but you always find the time and money to fix it over and over.

Users assume all risks of advice givenby me. Remember,the fire extinguisher is your friend.
    NAMDRA Officer / member # 2923