Thread: Clutch Slave cylinder..internal or external?

Registered

Icon315 Clutch Slave cylinder..internal or external?

I think I may have a problem with my slave cyliner or master cylinder If its the master, I know where that is but if its the slave, well I don't know. If it is internal is it hard to change? Would my Chiltons take me through it?

Thanks in advance.
    Scott
    Just want to hang with like minded people

Registered

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all of the YJ's had internal slave cylinders. Some places call it a hydraulic throwout bearing. I replaced one on an '89 I had and also a '90 I had. The hard part is you have to remove the transmission to replace it. If you feel comfortable removing the transmission, it is not hard to do. HTH

Billy Harton

Registered

Depends. The AX5 had an external, and a few years (maybe only 95) on the AX-15 had external. Depends on what year, and tranny you have. Chiltons should give you the basic info you need, but in my experience you have to figure some things out on your own even with the book.

Registered

Icon315

Both the AX5 and AX15 have internal clutch slaves up through '93. Both the '94 and '95 YJ's with either tranny have the external slave cylinder. If yours is '93 or older, you'll need to drop the tranny. '94 and newer, it's a simple bolt-on replacement.
    95 YJ 2.5L
    '89 MJ 2.5L
    '05 WK 5.7L

Remember;
    Friends Don't let friends-
    Drive Trackers

Southern Illinois Jeep Association

Registered

I replace mine on my peugoet. I was able to unbolt bellhousing and the skid plate, take off the driveshafts and slide everything back for enough to change the internal "throwout" bearing. You may want to at least change clutch plate while you have it down. Since then I have done the NV3550 swap with the external slave cylinder. I do have a brand new internal cylinder you can have for $70.00 shipping included.
    1988 "YJ": 32MTR's: 4.2L bored .30 with oversized cam: Howell TBI:
    3" Lift: NV3550: NP231 with "AA" SYE
    and Tom Woods cv driveshaft: B&M quick shifter.

Registered

Thanks all. I actually found out that it is the Master Cylinder not the slave. Thank goodness.

Scott
    Just want to hang with like minded people