Thread: Jeep Engine Computer Scanning tools to pull engine codes

Default Jeep Engine Computer Scanning tools to pull engine codes

<knock on wood> that i won't be needing one of these in a LONG time.....but I have 3 vehicles (2 Jeeps, 1 Toyota) that my husband and I will do most of the work on.

The Toyota uses an OBD II type scan tool that you plug into your computer port to pull engine codes to find problems.

What scan tool does Jeep use?
    And will it work on all Jeeps including 92 (Wrangler) and a 99 (Grand).

It would be a miracle if they all used the same one wouldn't it??

Well I know for a fact that the wrangler will NOT be OBDII if it is a 92'. The EPA began requiring Onboard Diagnostics II in vehicles built 1996 and forward. Now its a little confusing because the 99 Grand does have the OBDII standard as required by the EPA but the scanning tool used is a DRBIII I believe...very basic info but perhaps someone can shed more light on it.
    '05 SRT6

Registered

Icon313

You shouldn't need a tool for either Jeep. The '99 WJ is easy. From an ignition off position flick it on-off-on-off-on (stay on) without starting the vehicle and the codes will be presented to you on the odometer display. It will go theough all the codes and display "done" when finished or "done" only if there are none to display.

If the '92 YJ is like my '93 the procedure is the same except it flashes the codes to you on the "Check engine" light. It will flash a digit at a time with a small pause between each 2-digits that make up a single code and a slightly longer pause between two codes. A "55" code (I think) means it is done (or there are none if it only flashes "55").

With either of the above a FSM (or someone on JU with a FSM) will give you the details of the code. If you still want to read it with a tool it will cost a bit. Again, just for the Jeeps you will need a tool that will read OBD-I, plus Jeep specific codes for your '93 plus an adapter. The '99 complies with the OBD-II standard (all '96, I think, and newer vehicles all manufacturers) including a standardized connector but you still would want the Jeep specific codes.

I've gotten by using the key-flick and FSM procedure. The only interest I've had in a scanner would be if it was also a programmer and allowed for graphical realtime displays (either native or through a laptop). But then you are talking money. To me the FSM is the best investment. A FSM will also tell you how to adjust and get codes/values out of the A/C control module if you have a Limited WJ (AZC). The 45RFE will flag a "tranny code" in the PCM (P0700, I think) if it has any problems but you will need to take it to the dealer to get it read from the TCM.

Good luck!
    '03 TJ Rubicon 5-speed, HD OME suspension+1.75" BB, 1" BL/MM lift, 305/70R16 BFG MT, ARB Bull Bar, HS9500i, custom HD rear tire carrier, Kilby gas & steering skids, PSC rocker & diff guards, JKS discos, TK Sliders, OME SD40 SS.
    '03 WJ Overland 4.7L V8 HO, HD OME suspension/SD40, BFG AT 265/70R17, ARB Bull Bar, Addco rear ASB, adj. roof rails.
    Jeep Bio: '89 YJ SE, '93 YJ 4.0L/5sp, '97 XJ Sport, '99 WJ Limited 4.7L/QD, '01 TJ Sport 5sp....RIP

Registered

Originally posted by got4lo?
    You shouldn't need a tool for either Jeep. The '99 WJ is easy. From an ignition off position flick it on-off-on-off-on (stay on) without starting the vehicle and the codes will be presented to you on the odometer display. It will go theough all the codes and display "done" when finished or "done" only if there are none to display.
    Are you SURE you won't need an OBDII scan tool? I can do the on-off-on-off-on trick on my '96 ZJ and it give the codes on the odometer display, BUT it does not give the complete list of codes available through the OBDII port. For instance, a few weeks ago my check engine light came on, I did the key trick and I got code 21 (Oxygen sensor). However, with only that information, there's no way to tell whether it's the upstream or downstream sensor. With an OBDII scan tool, you can read out more specific codes (e.g., P0129 for downstream oxygen sensor and P0133 for upstream oxygen sensor, plus several other codes related to the oxygen sensor circuit).
    Brian
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    '02 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG
    '09 Chrysler 300 Touring
    '14 Toyota Highlander LE Plus

i use Auto-Tap in conjuction with LS1Edit for the LS1.
    A-Tap is supposed to work on all domestic OBD2 setups.
    id look into that....too bad no one has ECM burning programs out for mopar stuff...makes tuning pretty darn easy
    ~John
    1.21 Gigawatts

Registered

Janster go here for a complete explanation on the codes for izzy's new brother

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Already starting to have fun with the new toy.haha.
    Why didn't you ask over at kk
    Afraid of the family car thoughts j/k haha

There is a similar post about this very same question a little before this one. If I was you, since your working on your own vehicle go to Autozone or some store like it. Autozone has that free code checker, where they plug in a code reader and check it free. This way you get a detailed code without having to count flashes and guess. Someone else mentioned other large chains might do this too. This is the only one I know of.
    Good luck
    Chris

Registered

Icon313

Originally posted by Brian_R170
    Are you SURE you won't need an OBDII scan tool? I can do the on-off-on-off-on trick on my '96 ZJ and it give the codes on the odometer display, BUT it does not give the complete list of codes available through the OBDII port. For instance, a few weeks ago my check engine light came on, I did the key trick and I got code 21 (Oxygen sensor). However, with only that information, there's no way to tell whether it's the upstream or downstream sensor. With an OBDII scan tool, you can read out more specific codes (e.g., P0129 for downstream oxygen sensor and P0133 for upstream oxygen sensor, plus several other codes related to the oxygen sensor circuit).
    The WJ gives you "P" codes as described on wjjeeps. I need to keep reminding myself that they have the answer to everything! I thought key-flick would give you any/all that exist but after seeing P0720-P0723 (output speed sensor) in the list I know that I did not get these codes when when my output speed sensor went out on my '99 WJ. I had to have the codes read from the TCM (at least this is where the dealership claims to have read them). So maybe you really could benefit from a tool or maybe my early '99 WJ had some issues that newer ones don't (I already know of a few things it didn't do that late '99s did).

Good luck!

GOT4LO?
    JolyonF
    '03 TJ Rubicon 5-speed, HD OME suspension+1.75" BB, 1" BL/MM lift, 305/70R16 BFG MT, ARB Bull Bar, HS9500i, custom HD rear tire carrier, Kilby gas & steering skids, PSC rocker & diff guards, JKS discos, TK Sliders, OME SD40 SS.
    '03 WJ Overland 4.7L V8 HO, HD OME suspension/SD40, BFG AT 265/70R17, ARB Bull Bar, Addco rear ASB, adj. roof rails.
    Jeep Bio: '89 YJ SE, '93 YJ 4.0L/5sp, '97 XJ Sport, '99 WJ Limited 4.7L/QD, '01 TJ Sport 5sp....RIP

Originally posted by bbmoose99
    Janster go here for a complete explanation on the codes for izzy's new brother

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Already starting to have fun with the new toy.haha.
    Why didn't you ask over at kk
    Afraid of the family car thoughts j/k haha
    Thanks Kev!
    Na.....you're the only one who has a GC that I know of and since they're so NEW, neither of us should need one yet (cross fingers). I know my Toyota uses OBD II . Trying to see if it's worth buying a scan tool or not. Probably not...I've done the ignition thing before on the truck and like someone else already mentioned here...it's not specific enough (2 oxygen sensors).
    I'll just leave it at that.....not praying for any problems! hehehe

Originally posted by Brian_R170
    I can also back you up on this one. I've used a similar 'paper clip in the port' and ignition trick before on my truck and it gave me 'O2' sensor. There are 2 sensors. I checked the continuity of the one that I could 'reach' but ended up going to the dealer and paying them $35 jut to tell me exatly which sensor needed replaced (the one I couldn't reach).

Lightbulb

Janster,

I picked up a "BR-1 OBDII Interface" from http://obddiagnostics.com/ for $76. Not a bad price, and it does provide (much) more information than the key trick. (Although you better have a laptop computer, or a REALLY long serial cable!)

Also, it should work on your Toy and just about any other post-'95 vehicle (domestic and foreign). It works fine on my '96 ZJ, my Wife's '01 Honda Accord, and my fiend's '98 Chrysler minivan. It won't work, however, on vehicle's built prior to '96 (generally speaking). I'm not sure it will work on the '99 Jeeps--but I think it will. (My neighbor has a '97 Toy 4Runner--want me to try it on his truck?)

It's a generic tool, so it won't do the brand specific stuff, but it is a pretty good price performer. One nifty thing about it is that it will display the non-MIL codes that are set during every driving cycle. (These are codes meant to be used by mechanics as they try to solve a problem--but the problem wasn't so severe as to set the MIL.)

To see what the BR-1 tool can do, download the software from the site I mentioned above and run the demo part of the program--it feeds the program random data in the same fashion the actual interface would, which allows you to see what would happen if you had the actual tool plugged into your vehicle. (This will make more sense if you just download and run the program in demo mode.)

A cool thing about the BR-1 tool is that the software is FREE, you just need to pony up for the interface device. As near as I can tell, $76 is a pretty fair price.

Post back here or e-mail me if you have any questions.
    (And, no, I don't work for the BR-1 diagnostics people--I'm just a satisfied customer.)

Good luck!

-Mike
    Mike Wieda
    Longmont, Colorado

'96 ZJ Laredo: V8, Up-Country, K&N FIPK Gen. II, Rear Hidden Hitch (with 12V outlet!), Rancho RS-9000s, OME SD-40, Kolak Lighting (Harness, PIAA SuperWhite Bulbs), Kolak Ignition (Accel Coil, Magnecor Wires, Platinum Plugs), Optima Red Top, 30x9.5" BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs (Siped), Husky Floor Liners, Yaesu FT-51RHP, Comet B20NMO. Yes, I'm too cheap and too much of a chicken to do anything to my Jeep besides bolt stuff to it!
    My website is totally lame!