Thread: QD friction modifier and fluids

Registered

Icon313 QD friction modifier and fluids

Aight, I've had my tranny, tcase, and diff fluids changed once already at the 24K mi mark I believe. I had the dealer do this and along with an oil change the whole thing cost $500. So I've been putting off have the fluids changed again (with the exception of the oil which I of course change every 3k) even though I've reach 47k miles. I'd like to save money by doing all of this myself but the "friction modifier" for the QD diffs scares me a little. Where do I get this friction modifier, what's it called, and how much do I put in? If anybody, has any ideas on what diff and tcase fluids I should use and where I can get this friction modifier I'd appreciate it.

2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, QuadraDrive, V8, blue. K&N drop-in filtercharchger, OME springs + 1" BB for 21.5" hub to fender , BFG A/T KO 265/70/R16, Doetsch Tech shocks, OME SD40 SS, Kevin's Sliderz, and some other stuff to make the other stuff work.

"The Jeep is the only true american sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

"Bull fighting and auto racing are the only true sports, everything else is just a game." - Enzo Ferrari

You get the friction modifier at the dealer. Comes in a little 2 once or so bottle. It's simple you just pour it in.

Registered

only about 6 bucks or so, comes in a 4 oz bottle.

use search tool and you'll find lost of comments and write ups.

i'm assuming youve never done this before?
    just remember to leave the top few bolts screwed in, but loose enough to allow play in the cover. it makes thing much easier when you pry off the cover
    ..and inspect the magnet stuck to the back of your cover.

it is very easy to do!
    01 WJ Ltd 4.7
    04 Cobra : 475hp/471tq CAI, S/C pulley, cat-back, tune, plugs (stock was 403hp/382tq)

Registered

you should go in person and buy the fluid. so you can see the chart that they look it up on. if you do not have the fluid it will help to burn up the the pads in the pumpkin or diff as so many people refer to it as. and i believe it is two 4oz. bottles you need (front,rear).
    sold: 1998 jeep grand cherokee w/408 stroker with all of the trimmings.

From 2001 FSM:

Transfer Case: Mopar Transfer Case Lubricant (P/N 05016796) is the only lubricant recommended for the NV 247 transfer case. Quantity is 1.6L = 3.4 pts. (At my dealer this is a Mobil product costing $6.93 per quart.)

Front Axle: Lubricant should have MIL-L-2105C and API GL 5 quality specifications. Lubricant is SAE 75W-140 Synthetic gear lubricant P/N 4874469. Quantity is 1.18L = 2.5 pts. = 1.25 qts. (At my dealer this costs $19.00 per quart.) Friction Modifier is P/N 4318060-AB. Quantity needed is 2.4 oz. (This is $6.25 for 4 oz bottle at my dealer.)

Rear Axle: For heavy-duty or trailer tow use same lubricant as in the front. Quantity of 75W-140 is 4.75 pts. = 2.4 qts. Quantity of Friction Modifier is 2.5 oz.

In previous posts, I have seen some people recommend dumping a whole bottle of friction modifier into each axle. It may not cause problems, but I would follow the recommended recipe. I figure DC has the best knowledge about this.
    2001 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Quadra-Drive -- Kenne Bell Supercharger, Stillen Rotors with MM pads (F/R), Addcos (F/R), Kolak 3 inch exhaust with large case MagnaFlow, Rogue Chrome wheels, DRL activated, and Blaupunkt 3.5" dash speakers.

Registered

Thanks, that helps a lot.

2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, QuadraDrive, V8, blue. K&N drop-in filtercharchger, OME springs + 1" BB for 21.5" hub to fender , BFG A/T KO 265/70/R16, Doetsch Tech shocks, OME SD40 SS, Kevin's Sliderz, and some other stuff to make the other stuff work.

"The Jeep is the only true american sports car." - Enzo Ferrari

"Bull fighting and auto racing are the only true sports, everything else is just a game." - Enzo Ferrari

Registered

be warned....i have found the charts to have typos every now and then
    crazy jim, you will need 2 bottles, but read the tags for how much to pour in.
    01 WJ Ltd 4.7
    04 Cobra : 475hp/471tq CAI, S/C pulley, cat-back, tune, plugs (stock was 403hp/382tq)