Thread: Lincoln Welder, How many Amps does it draw.

Registered

Question Lincoln Welder, How many Amps does it draw.

I want to get a MIG welder and found a small Lincoln one that only uses 115VAC. I would love to get a 220 but don't have access to 220. My question is how many Amps will these small welders need to work. I only have a 20 Amp circuit in my garage. It will weld up to 5/16 plate and do aluminum. I don't plan on doing anything larger anyway. Anyone have one of these?

My Birthday is only 2 weeks away and I wanna have time to talk my wife into buying it as long as I can use it.
    TJMAN
    '97 Stone White Sport TJ

Registered

well i have a 110 lincoln mig and to keep it jeep related i've made all my skids and the rear bumper tire carrier with it, i've also made the cage with it, i strongly suggest the lincoln sp135T (what i have) it may be a bit more initially but it's a really nice welder i can do 1/4" metal with flux core and it's gas ready i can do 1/8 amd 3/16" with gas, i love the machine and been really happy with it, i had a cheaper lincoln (i think it was called a handymig arc weld or something.)before that could only use flux and even if i used flux in mine it's a night and day diff, go to the model i suggested or better and you will not regret it,

pics of things i've made are in the sig on my site, you could con the wife into it by making her furniture and stuff, i have and it works great!

oh and to ans the question, i had a 15 amp breaker for the garage and when welding 3/16 and up it kept flipping it replaced it with a 20 amp and made sure the wiring would take it and have not had a prob since!
    '00 TJ, 4.0, locked, 5" lift, M8000, custom cage, bumpers and armor. http://communities.msn.com/TheMINIHummer
    "The brave may not live for ever, but, the cautious do not live at all!"

Registered

The one I'm looking at is Gas ready and will do 5/16. I figure the extra $100 is well worth it. Thanks

I'm not sure of the model number. At Home Depot it's called the WeldPak 3200HD. Probably a special kit for them. It contains everything you need to weld right out of the box.
    TJMAN
    '97 Stone White Sport TJ

Registered

20 amp is the max you will need.

I've got the sp110 and i've got an AC225. Don't waste yuo $ on the sp110 or similar. A 110 wire/mig is only good for 1/8" and maybe 3/16". Yes it will do 1/4", but you need to make 2-3 passes with the 3/16 & 1/4.

I ened up getting the ac225. I've used it on every thing from 1/8" to 1/2". It is a much better value. The only possible downfall to a stick welder is it need 220. If i were ot get a mig/wire feed welder i'd get one that was 220v and was rated to do at least 1/2"
    2001 Wrangler SE, 2.5L, NV3550, 4.88s, D30/D35, TrueTracs F&R, Herculined, Mixed 4" Lift, Warn 8274, & Some Other Junk
    jeff@boardmansystems.com

Originally posted by jeffs_jeep
    <snip> The only possible downfall to a stick welder is it need 220. <snip>
    Huh? There are several 115V stick welders out there. No, they aren't welders you'd want for making super-heavy-duty extreme rockcrawling HP Dana 70 axles; but no 115V welder is, be it stick or MIG or flux-cored wire or TIG or anything else.

Actually, my dad owned an underground coal-mine equipment repair/rebuild shop. When all the underground mines around here closed up and he went out of business, he brought home a few "toys" including a 220V stick welder. He hooked it up to 115 & can still weld 1/4" soft steel or better with it. He sold all 4 of the 220V MIG machines, unfortunately, along with the 45,000 sq. ft. shop, 4'x10' lathe, Lucas #1 & #5 vertical mills, a bigarsed horizontal mill, huge radial drill press, gear maker, 15 ton overhead crane, and a whole bunch of other really cool stuff. Wish I'd had enough sense to own a Jeep back then!

If you can swing the price for a 220 unit, installing an outlet isn't difficult as long as have a empty spot on your breaker panel. I spent about $15.00 in parts at Home Depot and about 20 mins time to install a dedicated 220 outlet for my buzz box. Or if you have a dryer close buy you can make an extention cord.
    YJ XJ

Registered

Damn you guys...

You had me looking around for a welder last night. Good thing the wallet police found me in time. "Put your wallet on the floor and step away from the computer!".

Seriously though, if it helps, I found the suggested Lincoln on ebay several times new for $399.99. I looked for another 30 minutes everwhere else and never found one cheaper. Ebay rocks sometimes. If anyone finds a SP135T any cheaper, let me know. Maybe I can get my wallet out of the impound.

Mike
    My Jeep: 2k TJ, 5.7L LS1 V8, dual oxes, Full Traction 4" w/ 34" TrXus MTs

OffroadToyStore | 33 Engineering | email me | Check these out for great prices on great parts!

Registered

I believe that Lowes sells it for about 429.00. By the time you screw around with shipping, it probably wouldn't cost much more than ebay.
    Mike Frank
    99 TJ Sport 4.0l/5-sp, D30/44
    RE 4.5" LA, ARBs, 4.88s, 35" MT Baja MTZ, TW SYE and shaft, MORE 1" BL & MM, BP rear & AH front bumpers, TxT Sport Cage, Tera rear discs, Kilby/York OBA, Kwan throttle/winch control, Shrockworks rocker guards

Registered

I have the same problem, my shop only has a 20 amp breaker going to it. I looked long and hard at my options for a welder and I decieded to go with a Century 84070 Arc Welder. It is rated for up to 3/16" on a single pass and it only draws 15 amps at 110.

I order the Century off of Ebay, new for $93. I priced it at other sites on the net and most wanted $130-$150. The advantage of stick welders is that they are cheaper. I looked at the Lincoln Migs but I prefer stick welding. Less things to maintain, less to go wrong, quicker and easier to setup and go (IMHO).

I get the welder today and I plan on testing it out tonight. I will let you know how it turns out.
    93 YJ, 2.5L