Thread: Brake Proportioning Valve Reset?

Icon312 Brake Proportioning Valve Reset?

My brakes are not working well at all. I now have 35's and the rear brakes seem to work very little. I have a difficult time holding the Jeep on steep hill offroad if I kill it or if it is still running. The front will lock up and the rear will turn with the brake petal mashed. This is a large pucker factor for me. Also, with the diminished stopping power on the street, my stops are quite long. The shoes are in fine shape and well adjusted. I plan on doing a disk brake conversion like Stu Olson soon. But in the meantime....

I was told that if I crack the front right brake bleeding valve and mash on the petal a few times that will reset the proportioning valve (i.e. allow more stopping power to the rear brakes). Is this true? Does anyone have experience with this problem? Or shoud I live with it since it is just a factor of having large tires and small brakes? Thanks.

Rick
    1998 mostly stock TJ Sport :pablo:

Registered

Icon312

There's nothing to "reset" in the combo valve. Time for a brake upgrade. You could get some new shoes from Praise Dyno (expensive), and that would help some, but really, you simply need better rear brakes.
    This is such a common mistake that people make when going to 35's. Too many think that all they have to do is maybe throw some spring spacers in and slap on the 35's !! Not if you wheel at all. 33's are probably about the limit with stock braking components, stock steering components, etc., that is if you wheel any at all (hard).
    With 35's you'll want upgraded brakes, upgraded steering components, a power steering cooler, etc.

Fred
    Fred Wilson
    Base - '98 Sahara, 4.0L 6 cyl, Auto (swap from 5 sp)
    Suspension - 4.0" Procomp Springs + 1 1/4" JKS body lift.
    Rear tri-link. Currie J arms in the rear.
    HPD30, front axle, With Currie J-Arms, WJ knuckles, WJ dual piston calibers, Warn Hub Kit, with Warn inners, and CTM u-joints. Cross over, hi-steer.
    Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar.
    Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44 (rear disk conversion); LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
    Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
    Armor - Full
    Wheels - 35x12.50 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
    Recovery - Warn XD9000i

the problem gets worse with the disc conversion....but this might fix you..... http://dreamwater.com/zuk/betterbrakes.html
    99TJ/4.0/auto/4.56/2 Detroits/35" MTR
    2001 Tacoma XtraCab 3.4L auto TRD model
    88 Runner/3.0V6/auto/5.29/open/31"

www.gearinstalls.com

say NO to spotters

Registered

Mine was that way until I did the 8.8 upgrade with discs. It makes all the difference in the world, I actually stop better than when I ran 31's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Steve
    97 TJ Sport, Ford 8.8, OBA, Welder, 5.5 Clayton LongArm, NV-241J, Locked Front & Rear, 35x12.50's, not enough armour,(Skid Row Oil Pan skid plate, Kilby Gas Tank skid and Durango 4x4 Rockers with Off Your Rocker corner guards). I still have body Damage!!

2003 Rubicon for the Missus
    3" RE

Icon312 8.8 brakes on Dana 44

Will the Ford 8.8 brake compontents work with a Dana 44? Just worndering if the brackets will bolt up (same bolt patern) and the rotor will line up with the caliper (not sure if the 44 axle flange sits in the same spot as the ford axle.

Rick

Registered

Are you uphill or downhill when this happens?

I know rear drums never work well when trying to hold uphill. The fronts lock and drag the front tires in loose material while the rear tires just roll.

I think discs would fix this from happening.
    1998 Wrangler Sport, I6 Auto, Borla head to tail, 31" BFG AT, Top-five rack for the Kayak.
    ** No lift, but still a Jeep **

It is on the uphills. Fronts lock and slide to the side if off camber.

Rick

Registered

Default Re: 8.8 brakes on Dana 44

Originally posted by Rangerrick68
    Will the Ford 8.8 brake compontents work with a Dana 44? Just worndering if the brackets will bolt up (same bolt patern) and the rotor will line up with the caliper (not sure if the 44 axle flange sits in the same spot as the ford axle.

Rick
    I do not know, is it a TJ 44? If so, I believe that the Grand rear disks will work with minimal modification.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Steve
    97 TJ Sport, Ford 8.8, OBA, Welder, 5.5 Clayton LongArm, NV-241J, Locked Front & Rear, 35x12.50's, not enough armour,(Skid Row Oil Pan skid plate, Kilby Gas Tank skid and Durango 4x4 Rockers with Off Your Rocker corner guards). I still have body Damage!!

2003 Rubicon for the Missus
    3" RE

Registered

Icon312

The Ford Exploder disk won't work on the Jeep. The bolt pattern is different on the axle ends. Currie and others use the Ford disk on the rears, but they cut the end of the axle tubes off and weld on 9" ends. This is nice as it allows you to run the bigger axle bearings.
    If you have a D35, the rear disk off a Zj with the D35 *may* fit. To use them on the D44, you need a custom axle retainer. I believe, but am not 100%, that you also need the custom axle retainer even if you get the rear disk setup off a ZJ with a D44. Blaine was making these special retainers, but I believe he's out of 'em with no plans on making any more.
    Tera is coming out with a rear disk upgrade. Call 'em about it. I think it should be available in a couple of months.

Fred
    Fred Wilson
    Base - '98 Sahara, 4.0L 6 cyl, Auto (swap from 5 sp)
    Suspension - 4.0" Procomp Springs + 1 1/4" JKS body lift.
    Rear tri-link. Currie J arms in the rear.
    HPD30, front axle, With Currie J-Arms, WJ knuckles, WJ dual piston calibers, Warn Hub Kit, with Warn inners, and CTM u-joints. Cross over, hi-steer.
    Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar.
    Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44 (rear disk conversion); LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
    Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
    Armor - Full
    Wheels - 35x12.50 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
    Recovery - Warn XD9000i

I have the TJ 44. I bought a set of the reatainers from Blaine. Just need to source the brakes.

Rick