Thread: Yet again... rear lamp failure

Registered

Default Yet again... rear lamp failure

The high center brake light burned out the other day (one of two bulbs).

I replaced both bulbs with new from the dealer. The rear light bulb failure warning won't go away. I have now replaced the two high center brake light bulbs, the two rear side marker light bulbs, the two brake light/ parking light bulbs. The warning on the VIC is still there. I have disconnected the battery for half an hour. The warning is still there.

What else to try?

John

(1994 ZJ 5.2 Li Limited)
    1994 Green Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.9 V8, Vortech S/C

Under Construction try again later

Citizen

Wiring fault?

The LOM has mating connectors, so you can bypass it. Unplug both sides, they plug into each other. Bypass.

You went to the stealer??? I have actually heard of them selling the wrong freakin' bulbs.
    Crappy tire & TSE have the right CHMSL bulbs 921
    Rear Turn 1156
    Rear Stop/Tail 2057
    HTH

did you check the license plate lamps?? 168 yes it is important

The turn signals aren't monitored by the the LOM
    Tiggers

Registered

there are aftermarket led bulbs that will not burn out for many years and takes vibrations very well pep boys and autozone are places to check.
    sold: 1998 jeep grand cherokee w/408 stroker with all of the trimmings.

Registered

Check back with the place you bought them from, and make sure they are the right replacement bulbs. I went to 2 dealerships a bunch of times trying to figure out why after replacing all the brake lamps, and even having both places try to solve my problem, why I was still getting "Rear Lamp Failure". I got some BS about how the trailer wiring module might have gone bad from corrosion in the hitch plug from one place. I thought that was a creative excuse! It turned out after revisiting the original dealership that sold me my replacement bulbs, the wrong bulbs had been given to me. So in the end, I payed the stealership to figure out a problem that they created!
    '93 ZJ Laredo 5.2, 6.5" (RE 4.5"+ Tera BB), ARB Bullbar, RE & Skyjacker Adj. CAs, DT3000's, JKS discos, 33" BFG KMs, AR 767s, Kevin's sliders, K&N FIPK, D35c Lock-Right, Flowmaster 40, RShaw 180*T-stat, Speedtweaks IAT, RE Adj. Trackbars, Mopar PCM, Stillens, Alpine CDA-9813, Alpine Type-R speakers, Alpine MRD-M300 amp, Alpine Type-R 10"sub
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Originally posted by TiggersBounce
    Wiring fault?

The LOM has mating connectors, so you can bypass it. Unplug both sides, they plug into each other. Bypass.

what will u be bypassing? i get a rear lamp failure too for like the last 5 years. just gave up on it. all my lights work. please explain what this bypasses and how i to do this in more detail.

please
    please
    please

lotus
    '93 ZJ 5.2 V8
    RE 3.5" Super Flex Kit + 2" BB
    DT 3000 Shocks
    31" BFG AT KO's
    U-Joint drive shafts
    High Pinion D30 and Ford 8.8
    4.10 Gears
    IPF Super Rally 960's
    Hella 500 Fogs
    Don-A-Vee TB
    Aiwa CDC-MP32
    Alpine V12 5 Channel AMP
    Sony xplode's all around
    Click here for picutres.

Citizen

Originally posted by LotusGT69
    what will u be bypassing? i get a rear lamp failure too for like the last 5 years. just gave up on it. all my lights work. please explain what this bypasses and how i to do this in more detail.

please
    please
    please

lotus
    It bypasses the Lamp Outage Module. In my 95, it is in the drivers back corner (behind a foam block). The Input/Output from the module are actually mating connectors. Like a Tee-connector for a trailer tow harness. Unplug both connectors from the LOM, plug the connectors together. No more LOM.
    Tiggers

Registered

Alan,

Thanks frot he quick reply. I hadn't done the obvious... make sure the bulbs that the dealer sold me were in fact the right ones, I give them far too much credit. I will start by checking that they are the right number, then work through the LOM fix if that doesn't do it.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

John

It bypasses the Lamp Outage Module. In my 95, it is in the drivers back corner (behind a foam block). The Input/Output from the module are actually mating connectors. Like a Tee-connector for a trailer tow harness. Unplug both connectors from the LOM, plug the connectors together. No more LOM.

i get a rear lamp failure when i apply the brakes. i did the above and now i get a rear lamp failure right away even when my lights aren't on. is there somehting else i have to do?
    '93 ZJ 5.2 V8
    DT 3000 Shocks
    31" BFG AT KO's
    U-Joint drive shafts
    4.10 Gears
    IPF Super Rally 960's
    Hella 500 Fogs
    Don-A-Vee TB
    Aiwa CDC-MP32
    Alpine V12 5 Channel AMP
    Sony xplode's all around
    Click here for picutres.

Citizen

I kinda wondered what the VIC would do if it got no signal from the LOM ... I guess now we know.. Thanks for volunteering.

pin 23 is the signal from the LOM to the VIC. Per my 95 FSM, there is supposed to be 10-12VDC unless the LOM detects a bad lamp, in which case it drops to 0 (open circuit). So i suppose you could snip the wire and splice it to the cigar lighter feed. 'pretend' LOM signal ...

seriously though, there is a pretty fat section of my FSM concerning VIC self-diagnosis. Flow charts and stuff.
    Question is, do you want to fix the problem or do you just want a workaround...
    Tiggers

I kinda wondered what the VIC would do if it got no signal from the LOM ... I guess now we know.. Thanks for volunteering.

pin 23 is the signal from the LOM to the VIC. Per my 95 FSM, there is supposed to be 10-12VDC unless the LOM detects a bad lamp, in which case it drops to 0 (open circuit). So i suppose you could snip the wire and splice it to the cigar lighter feed. 'pretend' LOM signal ...

seriously though, there is a pretty fat section of my FSM concerning VIC self-diagnosis. Flow charts and stuff.
    Question is, do you want to fix the problem or do you just want a workaround...

WORKAROUND!! :-)
    '93 ZJ 5.2 V8
    DT 3000 Shocks
    31" BFG AT KO's
    U-Joint drive shafts
    4.10 Gears
    IPF Super Rally 960's
    Hella 500 Fogs
    Don-A-Vee TB
    Aiwa CDC-MP32
    Alpine V12 5 Channel AMP
    Sony xplode's all around
    Click here for picutres.

Registered

Alan,

Sometimes the obvious is too easy. I went to CT and bought new bulbs replacing the ones I bought at "Toronto Chrysler Jeep", and guess what.... the bulb failure warning on the VIC are gone. I would have thought that for the premium pricing they could at least sell me the right part!

Thanks for the help.

John