Thread: Valve adjustment: 4.0L

Registered

Default Valve adjustment: 4.0L

Is this possible on this stoneage 6 cyl? I had a brief glance at the manual and it seemed like the rockers have no provisions for adjustment.
    If not, do we use shims, or just close our eyes and drive?
    95 lardo, AWD, 4.0L, Edelbrock IAS, Helwig rr swaybar, Rusty's cold air, stock tires, no lift.

Registered

Icon316

This engine, as do most these days, have hydraulic valve lifters. The valve lash "adjustment" is automatic.
    Back in the olden days when oil and engines weren't as good, clogged passages in the lifter was a frequent problem and resulted in a clickity clack noise. This is less of a problem these days.
    Valve lifters, either hydraulic or mechanical are sometimes known as "tappets". Probably because of the tapping nise that resulted from mis adjustment. High performance engines oftentimes don't use hydraulic lifters because they can't operate properly at high RPMs and allow the valves to float (not close fast enough). This limits the top RPM. In passenger car service this " feature" can actually prevent an engine from eating itself by limiting the top RPM.
    Totally Stock 98 ZJ 2WD
    Stone White,Moon Roof
    Dunlop Radial Rover 255/70R15 tires
    Chrome plated valve stem caps
    Mobil1 10W-30 M1-301 Oil Filter
    Zerex G-05 Anti-Freeze
    _ _____________________ _
    79 Toyota SR5 Pickup

Registered
    From a small village. Nothing's available and it's all overpriced.

Overtone's right.

Things that usually make people think about adjustments are sticking lifters or piston slap. Are you noticing something along those lines?

Dave
    My zj
    '94 Grand Laredo, 4.0L, Tera lift, 32" Swampers on Allied wheels, Kevin's Sliderz, Leach Headers, other stuff.

Registered

I was thinking more along the lines of upkeep. I didn't think this was a hydro lift head.

I here other things/noises. They could be loud injectors, the header leak and many other things on a 122,000mi 95 ZJ.

Thanks for the education folks.
    95 lardo, AWD, 4.0L, Edelbrock IAS, Helwig rr swaybar, Rusty's cold air, stock tires, no lift.

Registered

Icon316

The good old 4.0 L I6 was never known for being quiet.:hammers:
    Totally Stock 98 ZJ 2WD
    Stone White,Moon Roof
    Dunlop Radial Rover 255/70R15 tires
    Chrome plated valve stem caps
    Mobil1 10W-30 M1-301 Oil Filter
    Zerex G-05 Anti-Freeze
    _ _____________________ _
    79 Toyota SR5 Pickup