Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 4.7 HO Upgrade Kit on buymopar.com?

Registered

Icon313 4.7 HO Upgrade Kit on buymopar.com?

Has anyone seen this yet? I searched but came up empty handed - Any reviews/comments?

http://www.buymopar.com/jeep/jeep.html

Very cool for:

H.O camshaft 53021411ab left side $55.19
    H.O camshaft 53021412ab right side $55.19
    H.O intake manifold 53031739ad $120.44

2007 SRT-8 bsess:

2005 Klein Reve X

My Website

Thumbs up

They're claiming a 30hp gain but Y2kHemi installed this kit in his 4.7 Dakota and saw a 16hp gain at the rear wheels (19hp flywheel). Still a substantial gain and at $230.82, the kit's a steal and an excellent bang per buck mod.
    If you have a regular 4.7 and you're still thinking about getting it. Stop thinking. Run like hell and get that kit!
    Installation of the cams is much easier on this engine (OHC) than on a pushrod engine since the cams are right under the valve covers.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Registered

Dino - Thanks for the info. I've been debating the kit, but am somewhat skeptical as far as install goes. Although not a mechanic, I would consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined -in that I've installed everything myself on my WJ, and it's all been relatively easy thus far...

You mention the install is pretty easy - even for a do-it-yourselfer? What does it actually consist of? Would I have to pull the engine, or, since they're under the valve covers just get at it from the top?

Also, is the 4.7 HO intake different that my stock 4.7 mainfold? (Maybe time to change that throttle body too... ) Does it bolt up though?

www.wjjeeps.com says these parts are NOT interchangeable, (they've been wrong a few times before and I'd find it hard to believe a lot of this stuff not be interchangeable for they'v have to make costly adjustments to the assembly line) - you disagree?

JOE
    2007 SRT-8 bsess:

2005 Klein Reve X

My Website

Registered

Found the intsructions for installing the both the left and right camshafts in the 4.7 on http://www.speedtweaks.net/ - you can download them as word files under "Tips & Tricks" there.

I'd post them here too, but they're a bit intensive.... I think I'll have to give it a little bit of thought before proceding on s install myself... But, definitely doalbe, just don't know where I'det the special tools mentioned and whether it's worth the pain in alternatively paying to have it installed...

Dino - Also, now contemplating the swapping of camshafts in the primarily stock 4.7 - what are some other alternatives? Anything else produce a better result than these Mopar shafts? Maybe get the HO intake manifold, if it is indeed different than the stock manifold, and different/better cams? Thoughts/recommendations.

At this price, it's got me thinkin....

JOE
    2007 SRT-8 bsess:

2005 Klein Reve X

My Website

Registered
    Nottsure, Wair (6.1 liters NW of Wairemi)

Icon313

Originally posted by Joe99WJ
    www.wjjeeps.com says these parts are NOT interchangeable...I'd find it hard to believe a lot of this stuff not be interchangeable...
    According to DC, the parts that are exclusive to the HO engine are NOT interchangeable with those of the standard 4.7 - even though they may physically fit in some cases, they specifically recommend NOT to interchange these parts, right down to the special spark plugs.

However, it is my guess that the manifold and cams being offered aftermarket are NOT THE EXACT SAME product and part number as what the factory HO engine uses - maybe someone can look up the part numbers and verify this. The HO uses different valve springs and different exhaust valves, so I would think the aftermarket cam HAS to be different. I suppose the manifolds could possibly be the same and work ok...

Registered

So does this kit work then??? Im a little confused because of the DC statement saying they are not interchangeable, but I thought people have already done this swap....So if you can upgrade the cams and intake manifold I am ordering it this week.
    4.7L Black 2000 Limited WJ, debadged,Stull wire grille, Mopar performance ecu, H&R springs, 20" Giovanna Attacks, Edlebrock IAS shocks, K&N FIPK with RamIt!, dual straight pipes(from cat back),stillen cross drilled rotors with powder-coated yellow calipers, Addco rear sway bar, Stage 2 hids, 20% tint, Custom painted interior, pioneer and clarion tvs, 2 kicker 18" subs with 2 bd 1000s, 500x rockford to kicker resolutions. Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/thebk

krcperformance.com

you 4.7 guys might want to check out KRC. they have some 4.7 cams available, as well as some other go fast goodies. hope it helps.
    93 Laredo 4.0 4x4, CAI, Kolak ignition, UC springs, 2" BB, 31x10.5 MT, Bilsteins

(R.I.P.) 94 5.2, 8.69 @79 1/8th

Think of how badass that HO stuff would be on a regular-cab dakota with 3.91s and a five-speed. I'm surprised that no one has really juiced one of those up yet. Just a thought.
    5.9 Limited
    '70 'cuda 383
    '66 Barracuda
    :gulpbeer:
    http://members.cardomain.com/downtownjeep

Registered

where do you get special tool 8350 wedge?
    2003 Toy Cruiser loaded, 2000 Nis Pathfinder: Nakamichi 700cdii, jl300/4 runnin mb quarts qsd216's, jl audio 250/1 runnin 10 inch W3 in ported box...BLING...Coming Soon: 2004 Toy Quad Cab Tundra (in route), 1st mod....TRD Blower!

Default HO upgrade

Someone that actually has this "HO upgrade" please comment on the performance gain. Thanks

Registered

Default Re: HO upgrade

Originally posted by Cherofun
    Someone that actually has this "HO upgrade" please comment on the performance gain. Thanks
    Get me the tool and I will!!!
    2003 Toy Cruiser loaded, 2000 Nis Pathfinder: Nakamichi 700cdii, jl300/4 runnin mb quarts qsd216's, jl audio 250/1 runnin 10 inch W3 in ported box...BLING...Coming Soon: 2004 Toy Quad Cab Tundra (in route), 1st mod....TRD Blower!

Registered

I've been doing some more research on this, it is definitely in the plans:

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/per/5925.html

Question: I am considering doing the HO cams alone now given Canucker's write up above, with the mods I have, what's the best exhaust system to unlock the engine further? I'm thinking 3 inch Y pipe to dummy cat to FM 70 muffler to stock tail pipe. My reason for keeping the tailpipe stock deals with the flow of exhaust through the FM and maintaing the backpressure to keep the exhaust gasses flowing and not scavaging.

Shawn

Registered

This is a great site!
    When I get the chance I want to look into how much work if any they have done on blower cams for a 4.7. They have them for the 5.2 and the 5.9. The longer overlap and lift seem to be what I would want in a blower cam...Yes?
    Regards, W.J.Wheezer
    Originally posted by zj8urimport
    krcperformance.com

you 4.7 guys might want to check out KRC. they have some 4.7 cams available, as well as some other go fast goodies. hope it helps.
    Current Car: '91 Audi 200 DOHC 20v Turbo Quattro, Prosche "Big Red" 993TT Brake Kit, Absolutly Cherry Car, She may be old but she AIN'T slow, 1 of 1500 imported to the US in '91 only for racing and SCCA Homologation, Currently Modding and working out the Turbo kinks for chipping
    *** ALL GONE ***
    2001 WJ,Laredo, QuadTracII,4.7L, V-8 Kenne Bell Supercharged, 298.3 HP@5500 RPM/311.5 TQ@4500 RPM at the wheels.
    2003 Ford Lightning PU, Dark Charcoal Grey, Granite interior, 23000 miles, PIAA, Clear Bra, Lowered rear, bed liner, Goodyear F-1's, XM radio, upgraded stereo with dynamat interior.
    2005 Audi S-4 Avant V-8....Gett'in Groceries FAST...Miltek cat back, Revo flash, BBS CH wheels, Stop Tech 13 1/2" big brakes, Neuspeed sway bars
    www.community.webshots.com/user/wjwheezer

Originally posted by W.J.Wheezer
    This is a great site!
    When I get the chance I want to look into how much work if any they have done on blower cams for a 4.7. They have them for the 5.2 and the 5.9. The longer overlap and lift seem to be what I would want in a blower cam...Yes?
    Regards, W.J.Wheezer
    Since you ended with a question, I will offer a suggestion. Maybe a little more lift, but a little less overlap. With positive pressure at the intake, more overlap will mean more air/fuel blown out the exhaust.
    2001 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Quadra-Drive -- Kenne Bell Supercharger, Stillen Rotors with MM pads (F/R), Addcos (F/R), Kolak 3 inch exhaust with large case MagnaFlow, Rogue Chrome wheels, DRL activated, and Blaupunkt 3.5" dash speakers.

Registered

Geezer:
    Once again, thanks
    Wheezer
    Originally posted by oldgeezer
    Since you ended with a question, I will offer a suggestion. Maybe a little more lift, but a little less overlap. With positive pressure at the intake, more overlap will mean more air/fuel blown out the exhaust.
    Current Car: '91 Audi 200 DOHC 20v Turbo Quattro, Prosche "Big Red" 993TT Brake Kit, Absolutly Cherry Car, She may be old but she AIN'T slow, 1 of 1500 imported to the US in '91 only for racing and SCCA Homologation, Currently Modding and working out the Turbo kinks for chipping
    *** ALL GONE ***
    2001 WJ,Laredo, QuadTracII,4.7L, V-8 Kenne Bell Supercharged, 298.3 HP@5500 RPM/311.5 TQ@4500 RPM at the wheels.
    2003 Ford Lightning PU, Dark Charcoal Grey, Granite interior, 23000 miles, PIAA, Clear Bra, Lowered rear, bed liner, Goodyear F-1's, XM radio, upgraded stereo with dynamat interior.
    2005 Audi S-4 Avant V-8....Gett'in Groceries FAST...Miltek cat back, Revo flash, BBS CH wheels, Stop Tech 13 1/2" big brakes, Neuspeed sway bars
    www.community.webshots.com/user/wjwheezer

Originally posted by Joe99WJ
    Dino - Also, now contemplating the swapping of camshafts in the primarily stock 4.7 - what are some other alternatives? Anything else produce a better result than these Mopar shafts? Maybe get the HO intake manifold, if it is indeed different than the stock manifold, and different/better cams? Thoughts/recommendations.

At this price, it's got me thinkin....

JOE
    There aren't any other aftermarket cams except these for the 4.7. Even the ones offered by KRC Performance are the same. As far as I know, the cam specs are exactly the same as the 4.7 HO's but the parts may not be.
    You really need both the cams and the HO intake manifold to get the best results. The cams will improve the bottom end adding about 15lbft at 2500rpm while the intake manifold, with its shorter runners, will add at least 15hp at the top end. Combined, the two will significantly improve torque from 2500rpm and below and from 4000rpm and above, with little or no change in the middle. The result is a much flatter torque curve and an engine that'll pull hard right to the 5300rpm rev-limiter.
    The next thing that you'll need is the ASE chip to adjust the rpm limiter to higher rpm.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Registered

I am about 10 seconds away from buying this...but will it void the warranty???? I have 700 miles on the clock and can think of other things I would rather do than void a warranty with 69000 miles left on it. LOL!!!

Sean
    2006 Laredo WK. Silver. 4.7 with QTII. Mods planned.

2003 Limited WJ, Patriot Blue, 4.7, QD, loaded; 4" lift, 32's, ARB, Warn, Kevins Sliderz. - SOLD

"You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me" Ed Evans, MGySgt., USMC (Ret.)

Default H.O. upgrade

Just completed the upgrade and yes it was a pain in the ass. Damn near everything had to come off. Intake wont budge without alternator and compressor out and wouldnt you know it...the fuel rail had to be pulled and the safety clips on the injector plugs are a pain. I went ahead and changed the plugs 27k. I bought the cheap Champion platinums. With everything out the new intake was almost too tall, even had to pull the rubber hood seal off to get it in. The runners on the intake had rough edges and I smoothed them with some emory cloth. The cams were pretty easy once you got to them. Heater hoses had to come off to get passenger side valve cover off. A plastic spreader worked fine for the cam chain glides. I just zip tied the cam procket to the chain to make sure it stayed put. It was really nice not having to buy any gaskets. It worked out to be a 10hr. job. Now for the good part. It pulls much harder! The engine pulls great to 5600 and is much more responsive. It will now "chirp" the front tire when you take off....didnt do that before . One thing I noticed it idles @ 650 now, before was 450-500. I had to take the battery out and Im thinking the computer just hasnt learned yet, maybe someone can help me on that one. It was a lot of work and one I would not want to do on a daily basis....but overall it was very worth it. Now if I can just get a computer mod.

Has anyone tried the KRC cams that are bigger than the HO's?

Intake duration 206/ .502

Exhaust duration 218/.463

Lobe Separation 112 degrees

Not a half bad cam.... Still a little small, but probably just about right for an otherwise stock motor. The kit comes with better springs too, which would probably be a good idea. Albiet it's quite a bit more expensive than the HO cams...

Later
    Chuck
    97 Camaro SS
    Web Page
    01 Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    Pics Lowered

Registered

Default Re: H.O. upgrade

Originally posted by Cherofun
    The engine pulls great to 5600 and is much more responsive.
    How the $#*! do you get your motor to rev beyond 5300 RPM?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast