Thread: 249>231 swap.......need info about VIC wiring.....

Default 249>231 swap.......need info about VIC wiring.....

I'm getting closer to doing the 249>231 swap into my '93 ZJ, I even bought a brand new 231 shift bezel from the dealer. I'm curious as to how you guys wired the VIC to work with the new case. I thought I read somewhere that there's a harness that needed to be plugged into the back of the VIC to make it work.
    Anyone have info on what needs to be done? Will the 249 t-case wire plug into the 231 so I don't get the "sevice 4wd switch"?

Thanks,

Taz
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, ARB winch bumper, Kevin's LP1's, Rusty's 231 skid, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, 160A alt, Optima, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

Banned

Default Re: 249>231 swap.......need info about VIC wiring.....

Originally posted by Taz93ZJ
    I'm getting closer to doing the 249>231 swap into my '93 ZJ, I even bought a brand new 231 shift bezel from the dealer. I'm curious as to how you guys wired the VIC to work with the new case. I thought I read somewhere that there's a harness that needed to be plugged into the back of the VIC to make it work.
    Anyone have info on what needs to be done? Will the 249 t-case wire plug into the 231 so I don't get the "sevice 4wd switch"?

Thanks,

Taz
    Just dont wire it... the "plug" on the back of the VIC will only with with a 242 swap. the 231 usues a single pole system while the 249 uses a double poll and then some. Your talking about some serious wiring with a relay and atleast one IC... it wont trip the service switch, i just let mine be.

Registered
    From a small village. Nothing's available and it's all overpriced.

Taz, do you have the 231 yet? What year? Earlier versions use a vacuum switch anyway and won't work with your 249's switch. The housing to internal spacing is different. Like Matt said, let it dangle. I wrapped & ziptied the harness for future archeologists but it isn't doing anything.

Dave
    My zj
    '94 Grand Laredo, 4.0L, Tera lift, 32" Swampers on Allied wheels, Kevin's Sliderz, Leach Headers, other stuff.

Registered

Hey Dave, Taz. What year are the ones that have vacuum switch? As for adapting it to 249 or newer tranny like 97, should one expect some problem? execpt the switch?

I got me an old 231 also, I think its 89-90 YJ and havent open the unit yet not done with the swap.
    97 White ZJ, V8, lifted, car seat, stroller and plenty groceries...yeah!

Registered
    From a small village. Nothing's available and it's all overpriced.

My 94 YJ 231 has the vacuum switch. I presume earlier models did as well. Short of significant gadgetry there's no way to hook it to the zj computer. The electronic zj switch will not work in its place as switch-lobe-to-cam-spacing is different.

My 99 TJ 231 has an electrical switch, but the wiring is different and it has a different throw than the 249's. No workie.

The simplest fix would probably to figure out what 231 zj's use. Depending on if your case housing is the same you might be able to just pick up the switch. Or you might need more. Didn't track this down.

Though many have made the swap I've yet to encounter someone who's made the display work. Initially, it seemed important to me but that quickly faded. Just put it in and make it work. The fact you're swapping your 249 for a 231 tells me you'll forget about the display too.

Dave
    My zj
    '94 Grand Laredo, 4.0L, Tera lift, 32" Swampers on Allied wheels, Kevin's Sliderz, Leach Headers, other stuff.

My t-case is a re-built unit from a '96 XJ, I got it from a fellow JU member, it's sitting in the back of my ZJ right now. Mine doesn't have vacuum ports on it anywhere, it looks very similar to the 231's in my mom's '99 TJ, and my friends '97 TJ. I'd like to get the VIC to work w/ the t-case, but if I can't, oh well. As long as it doesn't flash "service 4wd switch" it'll be all good .

-Taz
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, ARB winch bumper, Kevin's LP1's, Rusty's 231 skid, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, 160A alt, Optima, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

Registered

Default Re: 249>231 swap.......need info about VIC wiring.....

Originally posted by Taz93ZJ
    I'm getting closer to doing the 249>231 swap into my '93 ZJ, I even bought a brand new 231 shift bezel from the dealer.
    Do you have part # for the 231 shift bezel? I tried and tried to get a dealer to locate one, but they kept insisting that ZJ's didn't come with 231's ever. I insisted they did come with one, after all, my 98 has one , and I know they made them in 93, but no dice.
    98 ZJ 5.2 Limited Stone White

8.8 rear with Detroit Locker, Front Tru-Trac, 231 T-Case with SYE, OME shocks, RE 4.5 lift, 33x12.50 TSL's, lotsa other stuff

Default Re: Re: 249>231 swap.......need info about VIC wiring.....

Originally posted by MarginWalker

Do you have part # for the 231 shift bezel? I tried and tried to get a dealer to locate one, but they kept insisting that ZJ's didn't come with 231's ever. I insisted they did come with one, after all, my 98 has one , and I know they made them in 93, but no dice.
    I can post the # off of the box it came in later on today, it's sitting in my friends garage along w/all the other stuff I have for my ZJ.

Registered

tcase position indicator part numbers:

249 - 55115773
    231 - 55115769
    242 - 55115772

Jay
    '95 Orvis - I think that's what it was...

Banned

Default Re: Re: 249>231 swap.......need info about VIC wiring.....

Originally posted by MarginWalker

Dealers are idiots... Tell them to take the bezel part number from a 1993 ZJ with a manual 5 speed. Then they'll tell you it doesnt fit... Yet it sure fit my 97 perfectly!

I just did this swap a couple months ago and I just didn't wire up my vic and haven't had any problems yet.

joe
    94 ZJ Limited, 6" lift, 231, locked F & R. 8.8, 36" TSLs, lots of custom sheetmetal modification.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L LLY Duramax, Edge Juice w/attitude monitor, 4" straight pipe, AFE intake, HID headlight conversion, Dual Kennedy lift pumps, 450 HP and 900 FT LBS!
    The Duramax Diesel: Pound for pound one of the most fuel efficient vehicles on the road today.

Registered

Default Re: Re: Re: 249>231 swap.......need info about VIC wiring.....

Originally posted by MattsZJ

Dealers are idiots... Tell them to take the bezel part number from a 1993 ZJ with a manual 5 speed. Then they'll tell you it doesnt fit... Yet it sure fit my 97 perfectly!
    Hehe. I tried that one too...but their computer doesn't show the 5 speed either. I think the computer system (vs. the one with the slides on the viewer thingy and/or books) purposely left out the more rare combinations. And it's not likely anyone at the dealership worked there long enough to remember what the trucks were available with, maybe the salesmen, but not any of the poor minimum-wage earning people they think can pass for a parts dept. nowadays. Nothing against the people who work there, they try really hard to help me, but I think the job demands a little more training and a salary to match. Maybe there aren't enough DIY people to justify the expense, never seems to be a line at the parts counter anywhere anymore.
    98 ZJ 5.2 Limited Stone White

8.8 rear with Detroit Locker, Front Tru-Trac, 231 T-Case with SYE, OME shocks, RE 4.5 lift, 33x12.50 TSL's, lotsa other stuff