Thread: Ground clearance of WJ vs. ZJ

Question Ground clearance of WJ vs. ZJ

Does anyone know which has more clearance between a WJ and ZJ? More specifically ones equipped with UC suspension? I was looking at a new Overland, and couldn't help noticing that they don't really seem to have much clearance....especially around the transfer case skid and crossmember, whereas a ZJ with UC actually looks like it has quite a bit of clearance. I mentioned this in DevoX's post that had pics of his new Overland.

I like the WJs, but the more I looked at them the more I think I'd miss my ZJ. Frankly, I think the ZJ looks more rugged, especially with the Laredo cladding. Aside from having a BB and 30" BFGs on my ZJ, it's stock, but to me it just looks more "Jeep" than the WJs. It's just the little things like the way those tow hooks up front on a ZJ look like fangs coming out to bite from the somewhat square bumper vs. the shiny chrome hooks peeking out from the nice round WJ bumper. Or maybe it's the way people ask if something is broken/hanging down from under my ZJ when referring to the trans. case skid. I guess the ZJs just aren't quite as refined as the WJ, but I guess that's what gives it that rugged look which is what I think of when I think of JEEP. Keep in mind I'm just comparing stock ZJ vs. stock WJ. Those with lifts and long-arms need not get uptight about my observation.

I'm not coming down on WJs, really. If I do get rid of the ZJ it most likely would be for a new WJ (I think), but does anyone else feel my pain? Or should I get a sticker on my Jeep saying "it's a ZJ owner since 11/92 thing.....you wouldn't understand."
    2010 Rubicon Unlimited, Dark Charcoal, auto

99 Milkmobile Limited, Sienna (Burgundy), V8, QT-II, OME HD Springs/Shocks/Stabilizer, Anthony's 1.25" BB, A-arm spacer, JKS discos, TF ext. rear links, Kolak 3" exhaust w/ 70 series flowmaster, Warn rec. shackle, WalMart strap, Goodyear MTRs (Rubi donated 31")....Mall Rated

Default Re: Ground clearance of WJ vs. ZJ

Originally posted by BearcatsNBuckeyes
    Does anyone know which has more clearance between a WJ and ZJ? More specifically ones equipped with UC suspension? I was looking at a new Overland, and couldn't help noticing that they don't really seem to have much clearance....especially around the transfer case skid and crossmember, whereas a ZJ with UC actually looks like it has quite a bit of clearance. I mentioned this in DevoX's post that had pics of his new Overland.

I like the WJs, but the more I looked at them the more I think I'd miss my ZJ. Frankly, I think the ZJ looks more rugged, especially with the Laredo cladding. [/i]
    Well, I can tell you this.......you wont miss your ZJ if you own a WJ. I sure as hell dont. WJ and ZJs have about the same clearance up front. From the side the ZJ has about an inch more. Lower step in height on the Dub. The ZJ looks better lifted. The WJ looks nicer in general to me. I guess the ZJ looks more truck like. Looks old skool and dated to me. The interior seems more solid on a Dub. If you really like your ZJ, your best off to keep it. You wont get jack for it on a trade. Mine was a 98, mint Laredo 64K on it and I only got maybe 11 something? Or 12K? Most dealers were offering 8-9K for it!!! You may be better off keeping it as a second vehicle if you get a Dub.
    2012 WK2 Laredo X. Off Road Adventure 2 4x4