Thread: MOOG track bar is a problem-Info

Registered

Default MOOG track bar is a problem-Info

Just wanted to drop a note about MOOG track bars in case you are having problems after installing one or are thinking about it. The Frame side joint is not tight enough and will cause DW so I am going back to a OEM one, this track bar was the MOOG problem solver that someone mentioned on here and what happened is the frame side joint has play in them vertically and allows the joint to jump up and down no matter how tight you get it.. This is the second one so I do not think this is an isolated case, maybe the are not built within or better than factory specs? Anyway I thought maybe I would drop this info for the archives to help someone out.

Also on another note about Rancho stabilizers, if you are getting a warranty replacement make sure the new one has the axle side bushing, just got a new one and the damn bushing was not with it and would cause problems for sure if installed without it.
    97 TJ Sport, lifted with 32's and some other junk

Victim of Circumstance HighDesertZJ's Avatar

Wow, thanks for the info. Sounds like they should call them "problem makers".

Red face

Hostile, thanks for the info! I was considering this based on a brochure that my mechanic showed me. They're supposed to correct steering wander, but it sounds like there may be too many problems with them to investigate their use.
    '94 Laredo 5.2 V8, Dark Blue w/Driftwood, Edelbrock IAS shocks, Hotchkis sport springs, Addco sway bars w/ greaseable urethane bushings, Kolak CatnBack sans Flowmaster (Magnaflow replacement for sound), several other minor goodies

'99 Limited 4.7 V8, Platinum w/Agate

Registered

Maybe they do Jim on stock vehicles?? Not sure, Moog has always done me right as far as their parts but these two trackbars I put in my Jeep is causing undue expense on Depends LMAO

The thing is though is mine is not lifted that much so I am not sure why these bars caused so many problems.. Oh well.. My ZJ is like a woman and I will never understand it.

Went and warrantied my month old bushingless stabilizer today (Rancho) and made sure they gave me the metal bushings, all should be happy again by tonight I hope..

I just had a moog trackbar installed last week and everything is tight. no play in the frame side mount. you must have had a case of double bad luck.

as far as the Rancho SS I've been running one for about a year now. Mine came with a metal sleeve for the axle side bushing. at first I thought I was without one but it was already installed in the bushing. I guess I got lucky with that one.
    84 CJ7 Sold; 93 ZJ Sold then bought back on 07/01/08.

Registered

Is it the new one? the problem solver edition? I threw an OEM one in last night and all is well, I can now drive my ZJ without depends

Now you really have me wondering about that, could I have gotten unlucky with two bad builds? Let me know if you have the old one or the new one that is suppose to be the improved design.

As far as the Rancho, my original one that I ran forever came with the bushing preinstalled, however the replacment one did not come with any at all, glad I noticed that or it could have made for an even funner ride... Just got a new one again yesterday and everything was with this one so all is well and the ZJ is ready to break uh I mean play again..

I've got a Moog trackbar up front, and it is tight also, but it is not the "problem solver". I wonder what the differences are?

Registered

Default Dunno

I really did not see where there were any obvious improvements or that is what a big beefy bar, maybe someone on here has some info they could provide about them, any parts guys here??

Registered

The only difference in the "problem solver" bar and the standard bar, is the "problem solver" bar uses a 2 piece bushing at the axle end, that makes for easy replacement w/o a press. The standard bar uses a 1 piece press in bushing just like the OEM bar.

I have never had any problems with any MOOG part I have used in the past. And I have used a crapload of them.

What is the part# DS1235?
    John Anderson
    98 ZJ Laredo SE, 5.2L V8, with lots of toys

All,

I had my parts guy at Carquest do a lookup, and he could NOT match up a problem solver (PS) front trackbar to my 94. He did show a trackbar PS axle end bushing that is 2 piece though. The PS parts will have "Problem Solver" stamped on them. John, maybe they do sell the standard trackbar with the PS bushing, but he could not find it.

From searching around the net and reading posts, the Moog PS parts are generally known to be the best in the business, from my take. And I have Moog F/R trackbars, both tie rod ends, drag link, tie rod, swaybar/endlink bushings, and front endlinks. I plan on replacing my control arm bushings and balljoints with Moog.

Here is a fantastic site for GC parts (lots o' Moog). Has the power steering reservoir for 20 bucks.

http://www.rockauto.com/

my front trackbar is not the problem solver one you are talking about. Just a standard bar with press in bushing.

on a side note all the control arm bushings that were replaced at the same time, are all moog. along with all my steering linkage that was replaced sometime last year(no time to look up exact month). but everything is top quality.
    84 CJ7 Sold; 93 ZJ Sold then bought back on 07/01/08.

Registered

Yeah that is the thing, I have never had problems like this with any MOOG part that is what is weird, I do know that this one has Problem Solver stamped into the back side of the frame joint. I will post back the part number when I get home to grab the receipt.