Thread: Auto kickdown linkage on a holly 4 barrel?

Question Auto kickdown linkage on a holly 4 barrel?

I've got an 83 CJ-7 with a 999 auto tranny and a holley 4-barrel carb.
    The kickdown linkage isn't currently hooked up to the carb. It runs right to the carb, but I'm not sure how to hook it onto the card?

Does anyone have a Holley 4 barrel carb with the kickdown linkage hooked up? If so, do you have any pictures of it, or can you take any. If so, please post or email to me please.

Or can anyone describe how it attaches?

thanks
    Bruce

Registered

Icon5a kick down linkage

Bruce,as soon as i figure out how to hook mine up to a 904 auto,i'll give you a yell.I have the clifford head,intake and holly carb package.When the auto is on a 258,there is a whole assembly peice for the linkage,that part is bolted to the intake and you'll probly need it.That gives it the rolling action.Hard to follow i know.Any idea what i just said?
    No fun sitting on the outside looking in

Registered

Don't run 'em without the throttle pressure linkage hooked up guys or you will ruin your trannies. It does more than just kick down the tranny into "passing gear". You're right, it is easy with a 258, but more challenging with a V8. Lokar makes a setup for the V8's.

How quickly will it kill the tranny if the kickdown isn't hooked up?

"throttle pressure linkage "...that's the same as the kickdown linkage, right?

Registered

about two weeks or couple hundred miles whichever comes first, the 904 must have the throttle pressure to opperate well. You can tie the kickdown back about halfway if you have to drive it. I have the 258 with the Offy intake, and 904 tranny. sits sideways like the clifford. I have just completed fabing a linkage and kickdown set-up for mine. PITA to say the least, but its not that bad if you can find an already made kickdown rod. I found one at a salvage yard for 5 bucks. One from about any AMC product with an auto will work. Once you find one with the slotted end that goes toward the carb, half the work os done. Do you still have the throttle linkage setup? If so you will need to locate that in a way the direction of the kickdown is towards the tranny. I had to fab a bracket to bolt mine too. Helps to have a good welder, grinder, drill press and stuff laying around. This procedure takes a couple of evenings once you locate everything you need. I will try and get some pic's of mine and post them. Did your Jeep come with the steering comlumn shifter? I changed tranny's and had to fab the bellcrank for that too. Good luck, once you get it fabbed it's just a matter of adjusting it to shift properly.
    79 CJ7
    258/904/D300. 30 front 20 rear one piece axles, 4:10's f/r Detroit Lockers 33 x 12.50 TSL's, On Rancho 4" lift, 5000's 1" Body Lift

Coming soon custom bumpers and rockers. And hopefully a final answer to my wifes ???? what needs fixed on that thing now??

Registered

Yes, "throttle pressure linkage" is the proper name for what is commonly called "kickdown linkage". It synchronizes shift points with the amount of throttle the engine is being given...all the time, not just when you mash it.

How quickly will it ruin your tranny? I can't answer that. It probably starts damaging your tranny right away and progresses til it is shot. In other words, even if you get it hooked up before your tranny is completely shot, you will have some degree of damage.

Why play Russian Roulette with as expensive and as PITA it is to replace the tranny? Just don't run it til you get it hooked up.

Not only does it have to be hooked up, it also has to be adjusted properly.

Maybe we can get LEVE to chime in, he's the automatic tranny guru.

hmm..
    i've not run one in the year that I've had my jeep.
    tranny still works fine..but don't want problems down the road.

I have no idea how to hook it up, or how to set it.
    It seems a bit long..
    Are there balls or just pins or what connects that shaft to the throttle linkage?

i'd also like to see pics

Registered

The control lever on the torqueflites has a lever sticking out for the shifter linkage to hook onto, and a center shaft that comes up thru that with a flat side on it. The center shaft is what the throttle pressure linkage hooks to. The center shaft turns independently of the shifter lever.

I think theres a lever that goes around the shaft with the flat spot and pinches with a nut and bolt, but don't qoute me on that, it's been a while since I've been under there fooling with it. The linkage rod then hooks to the lever.

All the manuals give good instructions on the adjustment. In fact, that's about the only thing they tell you about the automatics. On the 258's you basically want the throttle pressure linkage to start moving the transmission shaft as soon as the throttle starts opening.

If anyone has some pics of what throttle pressure linckage looks like that would be great. If it's on an amc360 with a motorcraft 2.21 that would be even better.
    '80 CJ-7;
    MODS: Rebuilt 258,RE 4.5" 1" BL, 35" BFG Mudds,AMC 20 (1 Pieced),D30, t176,d300, Weber, TFI, OBA,YJ PB Upgrade, 95 YJ Tub, ect ect ect.

Three Clowns Auto -- "What we lack in know-how we make up for in pure stupidity"

I was just looking at my manual to see what you guys are talking about and I think I got one of those doo-hickeys hanging off my spare engine. Looks like a bent piece of wire mounted on a bell-crank of some sort.

I knew it wasn't original in that jeep, it had a piece of shoestring going to the throttle cable. Someone must of pulled this motor out of a jeep with an automatic and threw it in my old jeep. I'll see if I can find it and take a picture of it.

Forum Leader

Originally posted by Joey76CJ5
    hmm..
    i've not run one in the year that I've had my jeep.
    tranny still works fine..but don't want problems down the road.
    You're not running a TorqueFlite tranny though are you Joey? Isn't yours a GM tranny? It's not applicable to GM trannies except for the 700R4.
    75 CJ5 on 37s with other stuff

no sir

didn't know that..glad to hear it.
    I thought it applied to all trannies when you said that.

I've got a tubro 350

Do you still have the throttle linkage setup? If so you will need to locate that in a way the direction of the kickdown is towards the tranny. I had to fab a bracket to bolt mine too. Helps to have a good welder, grinder, drill press and stuff laying around. This procedure takes a couple of evenings once you locate everything you need. I will try and get some pic's of mine and post them. Did your Jeep come with the steering comlumn shifter? I changed tranny's and had to fab the bellcrank for that too. Good luck, once you get it fabbed it's just a matter of adjusting it to shift properly. [/B]
    Yes. the linkage I think basically ends right at the carb. Do I just drill a hole through that part of the carb and screw the two together? The linkage at that part I think looks like a sidways facing "U" with the bottom of the U facing forward.
    My jeep does have the steering column shifter, that is all intact.

Suppose I should just park it until I figure it out, and hope too much isn't messed up already.

Any pics still apprecitated!