Thread: help! 4wd not working

Registered

Icon315 help! 4wd not working

help! When i put the tcase in 4hi or 4lo then the front wheels dont spin. sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. for the most part they dont. the front driveshaft doesn't spin either. occasionally i hear a clicking sound which im guessing is the axle engaging. sometimes no sound. is my tcase screwed up or is it vacum lines? if you know what's wrong please tell me how to fix it. thanks for the help
    Ken
    92 YJ 4 banger. locked front (soon) and rear (now), rocker guards.
    TJ on the way

Registered

You probably have bad vacuum lines. I had the same problem and I bought a 4x4 Posi-Lok kit, but have yet to install it. I have messed around with my vacuum lines enough that if I reverse them at the axle, it will then go into 4WD. Same process to get it out of 4WD. If you live nearby I can give a hand. Remove both of the lines at the axle and have a friend hold them. Try to enage 4WD, while your friend has a finger over one of the lines. There should be vacuum on one line for about 30 seconds, and on the other line when you shift back to 2WD. HTH. Matt
    92 YJ. 2.5L, RE 4.5" XD. 33" BFG MT KM's on Black Rockcrawlers. SYE Kit. K&N Drop in Filter. PowerAid 4.0L Throttle Body Spacer. Bored out 4.0L Throttle Body.

www.picturetrail.com/iwntchsypoofs

Registered

thanks. i live in danville, which is near san ramon, walnut creek, dublin kind of area, probably a bit far out of reach for vacum lines . ill have my dad help me tonight when he gets home cuz ive got to go do some things right now. thanks for your help, ill let you know how it turns out. thanks again.
    btw, we'll have to go wheeling sometime this summer. hollister's pretty close, and i want to go to the con sometime.
    Ken
    TJ on the way

I dunno. Check your transfer case, is it filled with enough fluid? Just do some general maintenance checks on your Transfer case, and check the integrity of your driveshafts, vacuum disconnects, and basically everything that involves the 4wd system.
    That's all i can tell ya, sorry.
    I sold my jeep. Smartest thing I've done yet.

Registered

I had a very similar problem on my '94YJ. Vacum lines were good, vacum motor ok, ect. Turned out to be the vacum switch on top of the transfer case. It was like a $25 item from the dealer and all worked well after that. Hope this helps.
    '94YJ, 2.5L, 5speed 3" body lift and 31" BFG AT's Homemade bumper and tire carrier. More to come.

Registered

thanks again guys for all your responses. its good to know im not the only one with that problem too! thanks again
    Ken
    TJ on the way

Registered

Your front driveshaft should spin regardless of 2WD/4WD engagement. Check your fluid, shift motor, and t-case switch. If you still have problems, hook up a vacuum gauge(test the exact pressure) and check with the service manual. I forget off hand what the pressure should be. At least that would be my $.02. HTH. Matt
    92 YJ. 2.5L, RE 4.5" XD. 33" BFG MT KM's on Black Rockcrawlers. SYE Kit. K&N Drop in Filter. PowerAid 4.0L Throttle Body Spacer. Bored out 4.0L Throttle Body.

www.picturetrail.com/iwntchsypoofs

Registered

well, i took off the lines that lead into the axle. i do feel a vacum on one line when its in 2wd and on the other line when its in 4. but, the wheels still dont turn. the front driveshaft doesnt' spin so is anything wrong with that? why would it work sometimes and then not at all. when i first put it into 4wd then the front wheels jerk a little. what gives! ahhhhh!
    Ken
    TJ on the way

Registered

btt. please help!
    Ken
    TJ on the way