Thread: What to use to clean inside of differential

Registered

Default What to use to clean inside of differential

I need to clean out my differentials before I fill them up, what should I use, and any tips is doing this?

tia
    98 TJ
    Built HP44,Super 8.8,Detroits,RE longarm,IROKs,cage

Registered BlackJeepOfTheFamily's Avatar

I use aerosol spray brake cleaner to rinse it out because it degreases and evaporates almost instantly..wipe out any residue in the bottom of the diff with a shop towel and close her up.

Almost Done

I'll second the brake cleaner, works great! Just make sure you don't have any open cuts on your hands when spraying it...Stings like hell !

Jeeper
    99WJ: loaded
    90YJ:SB 305-tpi, th350, D60/D44, 4.88's, Detroits, Atlas II 4.3:1, 38.5x14.50 SX's, 2.5" Alcan Spring SOA
    1950 CJ3-A small project
    1975 J-10 Parts vehicle

Registered

Factory manual says to use light engine oil, and stay away from harsh cleaners
    I've cleaned it out with brake fluid before, and it starts to rust immediately, so if you're zipping things up momentarily and it's really nasty inside, I guess you could use b-cleaner. But otherwise, just some cheap gear oil or engine oil

Registered

Talking

Another vote for brake cleaner. I've used carb cleaner before too.
    '48 Willys Pickup..........Sorta..........

Registered

I use brake cleaner in a spray can and some lint-free cloths to wipe everything down. The lint free cloths are about 12-15" square (when folded out) and have some waxy/sticky stuff on the cloth itself that cleans up the lint left by a regular towel or hands while you're working inside the diff. Both items can be bought at an auto parts store (pepboys, autozone, track auto...)

Tim

I normally like to lick mine clean with my tonge, but lasttime it got stuck in the r/p and hurt. So now i just use brake cleaner. I also have this foaming degreaser that works nice. floams up and gets in all teh cracks.

Just be sure to let it dry bc you dont want to degrease your lube... aka break it down.

Dan
    1990 YJ Stroked and Bored. 3.5"BDS rear, SOA front w/ waggy springs, 2" Bl, 1"MM, DozerDanRockRails, DD gas tank skid, Custom D60 front, Yota Rear, 4.56's, locked F/R, TJ flares, 35" MTR's

1992 XJ 2 door $46 in scrap
    2007 AWMS Chassis- Under way. 60/14b 37's twin turbo'd 302, t5, d300 Go faassssst.

Spotter Team 818, AdventureWorks Motorsports
    WE Rock, RC Rocks, XRRA, ORCA

Team 818a KOH quailifier
    Thanks to NJXOR, EMS Offroad, Jeff's Auto body and Recycling

www.awmotorsports.com

Registered

The only time I used brake cleaner was when I was changing gears and the pumpkin was totally empty. I cleaned it really good, then after it was wiped and dry coated it with WD-40 and wiped that out. Now, with the gears and locker in there, I merely wipe out all that I can reach. When I am done, I spray WD-40 and wipe it out again. Always use lint free rags. I sometimes use those shop cloths, sometimes that roll of paper (forget what its called) that is in effect disposable shop cloths. john
    John, 2001 Sahara,Warn 9500 ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; OME suspension, Daystar 3/4" spacers, Currie ANTIROCK, Currie MM and track bar, JKS body lift, fully armored,RE chrom/moly tie rod, Superior Super 44 rear, Superior chrom/moly D30 front, OX Lockers front and rear; 4.56 gearing; 34" TRXUS M/T tires; hilift jack; fire extenguisher; yellow top Optima Battery, turbo city air tube and filter; QuickAire III OBA; Rubicon Express Hand Throttle; On Board Shower ; Jeeperman bumper/swingaway tire carrier/rack and gas can holders; AA SYE; Tom Woods HD C/V rear driveshaft; Nth Mobility Tummy Tucker; Nth Mobility rear upper adjustable control arms.