Thread: do i need a new water pump?

Registered

Default do i need a new water pump?

the other night im driving home, and all of a sudden, this steam comes out of my hood, i look at the temp and its at 260.
    i pull over, find some water near by, fill up the radiator water holder, and then drive home.
    earlier in the week i had noticed that water was dripping out below the car.
    i hadnt noticed i had lost that much coolant so i drove it that night where it overheated.
    so today, my dad and i were looking at it, and we thought it was the lower radiator hose. i goto auto store, buy new one, replace the old one, and then start her up.
    she doesnt leak until the car gets to about 150 degrees.
    then it leaks decently, (almost a steady stream, but more like alot of drips). i turned off car and it still continues for awhile.
    i think it is coming from directly in the middle on the bottom of the engine in the front, right around where the lower radiator hose connects, which is the water pump, right?
    now what should i do, goto the dealer and see if thats the problem?
    i would like to fix it myself if possible.
    also, i have to replace the serpentine belt, so i might as well hit two birds with one stone. also, how much does a water pump cost, and how long will it take me to install? ( it took me about 20 minutes to change lower radiator hose), and if i do replace it myself, should i do it from the top or the bottom of the car?
    my dad insists the top, although i think if i jack it up, itd be easier.
    thanks guys, and sorry about the long ass post.

Registered

Sure sounds like the water pump to me. I have an 89 with the I6 4.0 - I took two hours to fix it in the parking lot at my job - yes, I took my time, too. And no, I didn't jack it up - no need to go under the Jeep. I got my waterpump at Strauss Disc. Auto, I think it was like $80, although I don't remember exactly - gotta look for that receipt. Out of all the water pumps I have changed, (quite a few,) the Jeep was by FAR the EASIEST, the only other component I had to loosen was the power steering, which was the adjuster for the serp belt. Remember to loosen the fan bolts before you loosen the serp belt (if yours needs to). I forgot to, but was able to use a breaker bar with a towel wedged in the fan blades. Also, don't forget to get a new thermostat while your at it - and flush the radiator!
    Recently escaped to South Carolina from the Regime in New Jermany.

'89 XJ, 5" Rusty's hybrid, ARB snorkel, SJ discos, hybrid roofrack, 31x10.5 HiTech OTR muds, (33" swampers in driveway!), roof mount lights, 'removable doors'.
    '90 XJ, 3" Rusty's, 31x10.5 HiTech OTR muds, bumper mount lights, hybrid roof rack (wifes).

Registered

Default Is it a car

or a Jeep
    Mine did the same, replaced pump and checked all hoses and it was all good.
    Put mine in from the top-PITA had to take lots of bits off to get at it.
    94 Cherokee 4LHO, No Cat, 31"Duelers

Registered

Default Re: Is it a car

Originally posted by kiwixj
    or a Jeep
    Mine did the same, replaced pump and checked all hoses and it was all good.
    Put mine in from the top-PITA had to take lots of bits off to get at it.
    haha yeah forgot to say that, its a 1990 jeep cherokee laredo with 4.0 L and A/C

Registered

i think that after i fix it, ill sell it and buy a newer one with the HO engine. from 1991 to 1996, so it has the HO and the older body style. also, 161,000 miles is alot
    i know that the 4.0L can last way past there, but i dont want to have to keep replacing alot of things.
    oh well...

Registered

Icon314

I just put a new one in my 90 XJ yesterday. It cost $35 at Advance Auto Parts (chain) with a lifetime warranty. It is new and not rebuilt. Very easy job. remove electric fan, loosen power stearing pump belt adjust bolts. and remove belt, remove idler pulley, take I think 3 bolts that hold the PS pump out and move pump to the side,Next remove the bolts holding the thermostat housing in place and while your at it replace the t stat about 6 bucks for a good one. remove hose to water pump and remove pulley. remove 4 bolts and pump is out. Reverse and your rolling don't forget to bleed the air from your system after fill by removing the temp sensor at the rear of the head on the left side. good luck
    XJ because I want to go over, through, up, down but never around! 1990 Cherokee Laredo w/3" lift, 31X10.50 Regul Trailblazer A/T's, Dynomax cat back, homemade light bar, Mopar tire carrier on the roof. It's big it's red and silver and mean looking.

Registered

Originally posted by moparchallenger
    I just ...... good luck
    thanks dude

Default water pump

Yup. I thought my lower radiator hose was leaking too, so I put a real hose clamp on the sucker. No change. The water pump will leak out of the weep hole making it look like the hose is cracked. Not a hard job to do, removing the fan being the only PITA thing there was.
    94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

Yep, it's the water pump that's leaking. Time for a replacement: Flowkooler #1747 is the one you need. Relatively expensive at $110.65 but you get what you pay for; excellence.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Registered

went to advance, got water pump, thremostat, and new drive belt
    install only took me about 5 hrs
    haha dont ask...
    how do i get all the air out of the cooling system now?
    i think i got most of it.
    what should it be running at idle and cruising at 30 mph in 3rd gear?
    with a 3 core radiator?