Thread: How hard and how much to replace viscous coupling?

Registered

Default How hard and how much to replace viscous coupling?

My mom has a 94 5.2 ZJ and the VC is bad. Trust me, I am sure that is what the problem is. My question is, is it hard to replace? And, how much is a replacement part? Would it be easier to swap T cases?
    95 XJ,6.5" lift,33"MTRs

Registered

I had the same problem. I found it was cheaper to just replace the part since I was not doing the work. I got my VC from Zumbrota Bearing & Gear, Inc. their phone #507-732-7994. I paid $393.08 w/ shipping. He told me he would sell it to for $400 then I got him to lower the price by talking to him. I found a local shop and they put it in for aroun $50. Most places I went wanted to pull the damn transfer case, but you don't need to beacuse it's not in the TC. It should only take a compentent mechanic around an hour. So for around $450 you can be in and out the door.
    Hope this helps. Sean
    02 WJ Limited V8 HO...loaded
    06 TJ OME HD Lift, 32 BFG AT, RB1 Nav/Sirius/Ipod, Seat Risers, Dual Tops, Power Windows, IPF H4 Headlights, AtoZ Rockers, Currie Rock Crawler Rear Bumper W/ Tire Carrier

Sold....
    92 YJ...3" skyjacker lift, 33 BFG and stainless steel hinges
    94 ZJ Limited...Kolak exhaust, Mopar ECU, BFG AT
    01 WJ Limited V8 BFG AT, OME lift and SS

Registered

Default agree with the last post

Thats a great price for a VC was it remanufactured? Cause a new one from a stealership runs about $1000 Don't let anyone tell you different, it should not take more than hour or two at most to replace. Good luck.

Koko
    1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 3" TeraFlex w/ 32x12.5R15 BFG AT's.
    2005 Ford F150 Lariat - 2" Bilstein 5100's w/ 305/65R18 BFG AT's.

Registered

Nope it wasn't remanufactured. Or at least that is what they swore on. For me it was more sensible to just change the VC, but I would've love to have had a 242 installed.

Sean
    06 TJ OME HD Lift, 32 BFG AT, RB1 Nav/Sirius/Ipod, Seat Risers, Dual Tops, Power Windows, IPF H4 Headlights, AtoZ Rockers, Currie Rock Crawler Rear Bumper W/ Tire Carrier

Sold....

Registered

Originally posted by sparsons79
    Most places I went wanted to pull the damn transfer case, but you don't need to beacuse it's not in the TC.
    Not sure what you are talking about here, but the VC (viscous coupling) is definately inside the transfer case. $50 to crack the case and replace the VC is super-cheap, as is the price of the VC you bought. I would say 2 hours of shop time is on the low end, and $500 for the part is a good buy for most people.

If you find it gets close to $700+, I woudl seriusly consider a tcase swap (to something like a 242).
    Jason 'Rocker' Ward
    '94 White 5.2 Limited 6.5" Lift: 4.5 RE + 1.75" spacers from Anthony, 32x11.5 BFG M/T, 242 tcase, Clayton's Hard Rockers, Rusty's TC skid, Tie Rod, Custom front driveshaft, u-joint axle shafts, 4' Firestick II antenna (/w quick disco), Cobra 75WXST, No-Slip Rear, Gearless front locker, ARB front bumper, Warn HS9500 - sold

'99 Chilipepper Red TJ sport
    D60/D44, 4.56 /w ARBs, 4.5" RE/custom longarm lift, 36" SXs on MRT beadlocks, Blulletproof bumpers, Ramsey Platinum winch, OBA, MORE bolt-in cage, Tomkin engine skid, Kilby gas skid, Schrockworks sliders, IPF SuperRallys, underlights

Indiana JeepThing Member

Registered

Nope. I watched the guy do it. You do not have to open the TC up, or even take it out from under the car.

Sold....

Registered

doolin64

I called the stealership where I live and they wanted $800 for the part. So I started calling some transmission places and they could get me one for around $600-700, so I started chating with one of these guys, and he gave me that (in above post) number to where I got mine from. It took about two months to find a price I was willing to pay.

Sean

Sold....

Registered

I second the vc in the tc. Trust me its in there. Do the swap 900 for the 242 from George at TCU. Comes with everything and it is a direct bolt in. I did it and have no regrets. 2wd is great for everyday driving and on gas too. I did it myself and I am not a mechanic.
    94 ZJ, 5.2, 242(selectrac), K/N cone intake, MSD wires, Trailmaster SSV shocks, RobertShaw 180 tstat, Anthony's bb, 31" BFG'S

97 TJ, 4cyl, RobertShaw 180 tstat Stock for now

Originally posted by sparsons79
    Most places I went wanted to pull the damn transfer case, but you don't need to beacuse it's not in the TC.
    If the mechanic didn't open your t-case, he didn't change your VC. What i'd really like to know is what exactly you saw him do if he never opened any part of the case. I could take pictures of the open t-case i have on my garage floor or of the cut-away diagram in the factory service manual to show you where the VC is.

I'm thinking something is fishy with the work you got done.
    -'93ZJ, V8LTD, Krash's Kustom Bong Arms, 6" w/ 37" BFG MT's, Shaved 14b, HP44. Armored, locked, self erecting, and ready to pick up homos. 205,000 miles and still pumping strong!

-1944 Willys MB (green w/ a big white star on the hood!)

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"

Terra Jeep Club
    ~ZJ Submarine Club~ (closet member- if you have to ask, there's a reason you don't know)
    SJC- President

Registered

Originally posted by Krash80

I'm thinking something is fishy with the work you got done.
    I'm with ya on that one.

As for the t-case, I think a 242/231 is probably the best thing to do or if you can find one for a good price, just throw in a working 249. I don't know of any in our area off-hand, but if I hear of any I'll let ya know.
    Dave
    95 ZJ, 35's, missing sheetmetal

STAY THE TRAIL!!!
    -=- originally posted by Clarion Dude -=-
    My heated seat burnt my leg and testicles.

Registered

Icon316

I have never replaced a VC but if you do a search on replacing VC's there is several write ups which I have made a copy of with pictures included and the procedure is showing the replacement of the VC without yanking the transfer case. The drive shaft comes out but not the transfer case. It's an NP-249. Perhaps earlier years you needed to yank the case but I think this write up was on a 98' NP-249.

Registered

I even had a guy from here email me a writeup showing how to do it with out pulling the TC. It kkind of looks like a douhnut with teeth one one side and it flat and smooth on the other with some kind of fluid inside. I did not get taken, I was their the whole time, and the part I ordered was the VC, for sure because even saw it at the stealership, and it was exactly the same. I fyou would like to show me the picture go ahead. Sean

By the way mine a 1994, so you don't have to yank it in the earlier years either.

Sold....

Registered

I got my vc writup from bwbob on here. His email address is
    meyer1517@hotmail.com

Sold....

Registered

Check the Factory Service manual, it gives the complete
    procedure and is very detailed. You don't need
    to remove the TC it should only be about a 1 hr.
    job.

Cliff s

Registered

Well let me throw a little bit of first hand experience and facts in here to muddy the waters. You have to remove the rear driveshaft, a couple of bolts, a bunch of snap rings, and pull the rear end off the tcase (not split the case, just the rear extension). Once all of this is done, the viscous coupling is the last thing you can get to on the output shaft before you must split the case open. It's not especially difficult, but does require a good quality set of snap ring pliers and about an hour of time. Gotta drop the crossmember enough to be able to reach the top of the case to pull a cover which hides a snapring, have to drain the case. The part can be had from www.crawfordjeep.com for not an unreasonable amount of money.
    whodat
    2004 Overland, 2006 Baby Poop Green Overland. I used to be much cooler though.

Originally posted by whodat
    You have to remove the rear driveshaft, a couple of bolts, a bunch of snap rings, and pull the rear end off the tcase (not split the case, just the rear extension).
    whodat
    This is exactly how it's done...but if you ask me, removing the rear of the case is still "opening" the case.
    -'93ZJ, V8LTD, Krash's Kustom Bong Arms, 6" w/ 37" BFG MT's, Shaved 14b, HP44. Armored, locked, self erecting, and ready to pick up homos. 205,000 miles and still pumping strong!

-1944 Willys MB (green w/ a big white star on the hood!)

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!"

Terra Jeep Club
    ~ZJ Submarine Club~ (closet member- if you have to ask, there's a reason you don't know)
    SJC- President

you got a purdy mouth goodolboy71's Avatar

if you are gonna go this route there is one on ebay i seen the other day that has been relisted like 3 tims, i think it was like 300 or so, it was brand new mopar one, took a look...later
    93 ZJ, 4.0,242,Custom 6" LA's,ARB,Warn XD 9000, home depot roof rack, 8.8 w/ eaton e locker,JCR Rock Rails, d30 ox locker,315 BFG KM2's, and lightforce 170's for some night bling...
    96 ZJ Orvis, V8,Stock.
    74 CJ5- 304, frame off restoration