Thread: WTF? can't fill gas tank

Registered

Question WTF? can't fill gas tank

I just went to put my first tank of gas in the TJ and the pump just keeps stopping like the tank is full or something!! i have 1/4 of a tank. i tried turning the stupid nozzel to all different positions and still the same thing! this didn't happen on the 2001 i rented a few months ago, does anyone have this problem with their TJ ? am i missing something or am i just a retard ? ( i sure felt like one leaving the gas station with $4 in gas!!)

That happened to me once since I got my Jeep. Not sure why.
    2006 Doidge Ram 2500 CTD Hardcore!!!!1mobile
    Tint
    Nerf bars
    Rubber bed liner
    Nifty bike holder thingies
    OEM Navigation System
    Lone Star badges removed

Lightbulb

whyjeep,

You should have tried another pump. Maybe the gas filler nozzle you tried had the back-pressure maladjusted (in other words, falsely sensing that your tank was close to full). I run into a "bad" nozzle like that once in a while. Sometimes slightly backing that type of nozzle out of the tank filler hole will reduce the pressure build-up (as the gas displaces air in the tank) ... at least enough to fake it out. Of course with this "technique", watch out when your tank is actually getting full or you may end up with gas on your pants and shoes.
    2000 TJ Sahara, highly modified Dodge Magnum 5.9L V8, 46RE auto, Rubicon TJ NV-241 transfer case, Full-Traction LA, ORO SwayLOK/Currie steering, 35" MT/R Kevlars, forged Center Line wheels, ARB's/Superior Super axles F/R, Warn front 5 on 5.5 big hub conversion, VANCO hydroboost brakes, 24 gallon Currie SS gas tank, etc.

Registered

No No No, it has happened to me also, just dont stick the pump nozzle into the tank so far, bring it out a little and then start pumping, just dont bring it out too far to where you get sprayed
    -Matt

Registered

Originally posted by DC
    whyjeep,

You should have tried another pump. Maybe the gas filler nozzle you tried had the back-pressure maladjusted (in other words, falsely sensing that your tank was close to full). I run into a "bad" nozzle like that once in a while. Sometimes slightly backing that type of nozzle out of the tank filler hole will reduce the pressure build-up (as the gas displaces air in the tank) ... at least enough to fake it out. Of course with this "technique", watch out when your tank is actually getting full or you may end up with gas on your pants and shoes.
    yeah, i tried backing it out and it still cut out. all the other pumps were being used and i felt like a total 'tard so i just left. we're going for a bit of a drive and i was filling the tank before we left (another excuse to drive it). i'll try again at a different pump when we actually leave in about 20 min. i just thought i would check here first, maybe there was a "slow filling tank" TSB or something. i've never had that problem on any other car i've owned so it kinda freaked me out a bit.

You are putting the nozzel in to far. Pull it out about an inch. This will fix the problem and now you wont look stupid trying to fill your jeep.

Registered

yeah it worked, had the pump almost all the way out of the Jeep though!! just barely pushing that little door in the filler hole open. didn't splash when it was done, but still spilt more gas than i ever have!! hopefully that stops happenin' soon!

Default Happens to me 95% of the time

Just about every time I fill up it does the so you just have to back it out a little like everyone said, I think a TSB would be in order

Registered

Icon312

Mine is a little touchy too. I just pull the nozzle back a bit.
    A minor inconvenience when you consider I OWN A JEEP!!!!!
    2002 TJ Sport 5 Spd, 2.5" OME lift, OME Coils, 31 X 10.5 BFG ATs, JKS Quick Discos, Manik Grill Guard, Cobra 75WXST, OME Steering Stabilizer, Hi-Lift

Coming:Bulletproof Sidesteps, Skidrow Oilpan Skid