Thread: How much should a new tow hitch cost w/install?

Registered

Post How much should a new tow hitch cost w/install?

I made a couple phone calls today and was quoted once with $198+cost of wirering harness, and another for $170( I don't think he cared enough to check if i need a harness.) I was initially shocked at what a hitch cost withthe install. is it me or are these prices high. I also need to know if I can install the hitch myself and save a few bucks. I sent as email to smblainzj(SP) about a hitch for sale but I am not sure about the cost of the install. Gimme a hand guys. Thanks

Mike

------------------
    95 ZJ 4x4, 4.0, Drop in K&N air filter, K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter, 70 series Flowmaster, Kolak's Airaide Thottle Body Spacer, Black Body Color Grill, Custom Dual Mesh Grill, 143db stereo...More to come.
    1998 5.9 Limited Stone White, Mopar ECU, FIPK, MSD Wires, Front and Rear Addco Sway Bars, Clear Corners...

Registered

I checked with U-Haul a while back...a class 3 installed was near $145. You can peel their ugly little sticker off. That is the only place I have checked.

------------------
    95 Laredo, 5.2, UC, Trac Lok, Skids, All otions but leather/pwr moonroof...Bone Stock...so far
    95 Laredo, 5.2, UC, Trac Lok, Skids, All otions but leather/pwr, 31x10.50 Desert Dogs (pirelli Norsemans), 180 thermo, Kevin's Sliderz,Rancho RS 9000's, 4in lift utilizing Tuff Country front coils and front UC 5.2 coils in rear, OME SS, Gibson Cat back exhaust

Cool

I saw a nice one at Wallyworld(Walmart)it was a medium to big size tube with an arc down towards the center...it looked a lot better than the stock one I have...even was capped on the end...unfortunately it was not priced...but it can't be more than $70 to $90 if even that.....I don't think that they are too hard to install and wire!

I hope your quest will lead to your satisfaction!

EricE

:gtar: *93 4.0 JGC UNLtd 42RE/NP249/3.73 *BFG AT Ko's 30x9.50x15 *Bilstiens *Mopar front towhooks *Weathertech window deflectors f&r *184K and still running strong!

Registered

Concept ZJ,
    I have installed two hitch sets and it is not hard. while I have not installed one on a ZJ I am fairly sure that it would not be a problem. I have the factory one and it just bolts right on up there. As for the wireing harness. They make plug ins that are not complicated to install. I would think that the whole istall job should cost you about 4 hours with standard hand tools. Good Luck!

------------------
    93 ZJ
    Canyon cast wheels, full size spare with matching wheel.
    Alpine sound system with infinity speakers and JL stealth box.
    K&N drop in, MSD spark plug wires,
    Tera Flex S3Z Installed 4.20.00-4.23.00

91YJ Project Jeep
    4" suspension lift with 33x12.50 on 15x10 wheels, custom bumpers and full size tire rack with identical wheel and tire, KC Daylighters, CD player, sound bar, Hard Top and Hard Doors. Other mods to come
    Working on my web site.
    98 5.9 Grand Cherokee (Lost her 10.2.03)

93 ZJ
    I6, Auto, NP249 SOLD
    Set of 5 15x8 Canyon cast wheels and full size spare.
    Alpine sound system with ZJ Sound Bar, infinity speakers and JL stealth box.
    K&N drop in, MSD spark plug wires, 3.73 Gears,
    Tera Flex S3Z Installed 4.20.00-4.23.00, ARB Bull Bar
    Installed 7.11.00

91YJ Project Jeep
    I6, 5 Speed, NP231
    4" suspension lift with 33x12.50 on 15x10 wheels, custom bumpers and full size tire rack with identical wheel and tire, CD player, sound bar, Hard Top and Hard Doors. 4.11 gears with an OX locker. Rhino Lining in the tub and over the lip. Most recent mod: Rear Disks!!

Registered

ConceptZJ,

I don't know if you would be interested, but I will be selling my Uhaul Class 3 hitch that fit my 96 zj. I will no longer need it as my road armor bumper will have a tow hitch on it. I believe I could come up with a competitive estimate for you if you don't mind that it is used. It is an excellent condition. Please let me know if you are interested.

Drew sends
    Sold: 96 4.0 ZJ, stripped most of the mods
    Bought: 98 5.9 ZJ, just getting started with parts in the garage from the last Jeep

Mike, a new hitch should cost a bit under $100 and the after market wiring harness about $50 (plug and play other than the run to the battery). You'll just need to bolt the hitch in place, under 2 Hrs. Look into the old forum with a search on trailer harness or such. There are posts with part #'s to help you out. John V.

------------------
    John V San Diego, Calif.
    1995 Grand Cherokee,4.0L,F-Package, K&N drop in, 3" franken lift (rancho coils, TJ 3" lift Bilsteins, home brew bump stops, JKS Quicker Disconnects) 31X10.5" BFG AT KO's, factory skids, home made rock sliders, Hella 500's.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Also BMW R80 RT Beemer with Velorex Sidecar (love to fly the car)

[This message has been edited by John V. (edited 06-24-2000).]
    John V San Diego, Calif.
    Current wheeling videos

Flop recovery at Gatekeeper Calico -- OUCH!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osy9XTY1N5A
    Anza Borrego Heart Attack Hill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bScAe7rjsU
    Dusy Ersham Trail with 12 Hr tow out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuIwv...e=user&search=

Glow-in-the-dark Yellow Rubi LJ, Nth* 6" kit, Auto, 35's with 5:13's
    And when we have company in town and DD,
    ZJ with mostly home-made armor and 4.75" Franken-lift.

Start to finish I'd pay no more than $150 + tax.

That includes the Class III hitch, ball and tow bar, and the wiring.

They are VERY easy to install. Need a ratchet and a 19mm socket and perhaps a 6-9" extension for the ratchet to reach up in there.

Total of 6 bolts. Get a friend to help hold up one side while you get the other and it is easy. A floor jack will make it even easier for you! Good luck!

------------------
    My Corner of the World
    3" Rancho Lift, RS5000's, RS5401 stabilizer,
    31x10.5's, KCDaylighers, Brush Guard (smushed up),
    Mopar Tow Hooks Front(bent down), ClassIII Hitch,
    K&N Drop In Filter, Donavee TB Spacer,
    Donavee Swing away Tire Carrier, SG 33 Speedo-gear, QD's on the way!!
    Pictures
    '09 Rubicon unlimited
    3.5" AEV
    305/65R17 BFG M/T km2
    Shrockworks Midwidth, XD9000i, Skid Row evap skid

(sold)'02 WJ HO, OME HD 2", Revo A/T 265/65R17, rear addco, ARB Bull Bar, IPF Lights, XD9000 Winch, Kargomaster Roof Rack, Rock Rails, Extreme Engineering Budget Boost
    '94ZJ(rip)

"Had God not driven man from the Garden of Eden, the
    Sierra Club would have!"

Registered

Mike,

It's too easy not to do it yourself. You sig shows quite a few mods, so you must be into getting your hands dirty.

buymopar@ipa.net

Hitch, part #82201787 is like $120
    Wiring harness, part #82202423 is $33

Both are very easy to do, and look MUCH better than some of the aftermarket stuff. THe mopar one is hidden behind the bumper and the reviever drops down just below the bumper facia.

I did it myself AND the fuel skid. Pretty easy....

------------------
    Tooleman
    98 White ZJ 5.2 Limited
    97 Blue TJ Sport
    Tooleman
    98 White ZJ 5.2 Limited

Registered

Wink

I just took mine off today to put my Gas Tank Skid up underneath it. It is really straight forward. No reason anyone with an 18mm, 1/2 in socket couldn't do it.

I'm talking about the mopar hitch of course. Just bolts right up.

The wiring isn't hard either (but my master's in EE probably makes it cake for me).

Like the almighty rob once said, "You can do it!"

------------------
    '98 Platinum ZJ Limited
    '94 YJ 4.0L: SOA w/2.5" BDS CJ Rears, 1" BL, XD8000i, Welded Rear 60, 44 w/lockwrong, NP208 TC, 38x12.50 TSL SX, OBA, Full Rollcage, Jeep Rater: 372

www.craiggardner.com

Registered

Check out this site Hidden-Hitch is a great hitch that hides under the bumper and is real easy to install, no drilling. the wiring harness is easy also, you just clip into your tail light wires.
    http://www.savannajones.com/hitch_xj.htm
    '02 WJ Laredo V8; Selec-Trac; Silverstone

Registered

Installing the hitch is SO EASY if the bolts arent all rusted on. Mine weren't, I think it took me about 45 minutes just messing around with it. Best way. If you have a skid plate, just use a floor jack and place it under the plate to secure it. Then just raise the hitch and bolt away.. I don't know about the wiring harness as I used the hitch for recovery only until I got my Tomken bumper..

Good Luck

------------------
    Chris Liston
    listo@adelphia.net
    Homepage
    North Jersey Jeep Club

94 ZJ 4.0 ARB Bull Bar w/Warn 9k,Tomken rear w/tire carrier
    Rear D44 w/Detroit, upgraded D30 with ARB, 4.56's, 6.5" RE/Tera lift, RS9000 shocks, jks shock stuff,
    33x10.50 Swamper TSL Radials. NP231 tcase w/Advance Adapater SYE Kit, Tom Woods rear drive shaft,
    Borla header and cat back, high flow cat, Turbo City intake w/K&N, Jet Stage 2 chip, Conferr Rack,
    RE adjustable track bar, RE tie rod, American Metal Rock Sliderz, IPF Lights on the way.

Registered

Great guys, thanks

I will look into buying one of the Hidden Hitchs mentioned by dagsvarc and will look into probaly buying a wiring harness from mopar for $33. Thanks toolman.

Drew I am interested, I will email you before I go purchasing anything, just it is almost 1AM right now.

Thanks Again guys
    Mike

------------------
    95 ZJ 4x4, 4.0, Drop in K&N air filter, K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter, 70 series Flowmaster, Kolak's Airaide Thottle Body Spacer, Black Body Color Grill, Custom Dual Mesh Grill, 143db stereo...More to come.
    1998 5.9 Limited Stone White, Mopar ECU, FIPK, MSD Wires, Front and Rear Addco Sway Bars, Clear Corners...