Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone VS Goodyear

Registered

Default Bridgestone VS Goodyear

I forgot to mention, I offroad a couple times a month. The terrain ranges from rocky to deep sand to mud (self-cleaning tires would be a plus).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport (still stock )
    God Bless!
    '99 Wrangler Sport in the works :winky:

another vote for the MT/R's (stock Jeep -> 31x10.5)

Well...I bought some of the Bridgestone AT's....they wore out within 35 thousand miles. That is bad when you are on a budget. I priced the goodyears....$800 for a set of 4. WAAAYYYY to much for 4 32 inch tires. I ended up going with BFG At's....great deal and good warranty. If you want cheaper...go with sport king....they are made by Michelin (BFG) but they have one less ply sidewall than the BFG AT's and they are about $150 cheaper for the set.

Good luck on the hunting. I searched for a month before I made my decision.

Registered

Cool Here comes my $.02...

I just went through much the same debate myself, although it was between the Bridgestone Dueler M/T's and the Goodyear MT/R's. I don't think you'll find anyone really running the duelers around here, but from what i've read and researched, they put alot of technology into the new dueler M/T design. They're also rated very well (#1 in max. traction catagory @ www.tirerack.com FWIW), and seem to be a good all around tire (with a tread pattern somewhere between a standard MT and AT). However, i too have decided to go with the MT/R's for a few reasons. 1) they seem to be a much more proven tire than the Duelers. 2) I needed something with a little more beef to it to safely get me around some of this CO terrain: not that any of my trail riding is hardcore in itself; it's just hardcore on the tires.
    Now, keep in mind that i have no experience with either of these (i'm milking my GSA's for everything they've got), but based on my "research", i think that possibly the Dueler M/T sounds like a perfect tire for you. Look into it at least; some of the reviews are fairly impressive.
    I guess there's always the BFG A/T's...
    HTH give you some ideas anyhow
    matt

Icon312

go with the BFG'S
    A Founding Member and Vice President California Jeep Co-operative! anyone in our area looking to join a Jeep Club go to www.jeepcoop.com We span from central Cali to Northern Cali to nevada so Far and think we have one member in southern Oregon also 56 Members so far come join the fun. Also member of www.bayarea4x4.com and www.bigredheep.com and
    www.pirate4x4.com

CHICKS DIG BODY DAMAGE !!!!!!!!!!
    Building my own Rock Krawling buggy when She is finished I will post all about her.........and going Deisel with her

Registered

I had the Dueller MT 31X10.5 on a stocker and LOVED them- they showed little wear after 10000 miles and were awesome in mud and held up well on rock. I hope the 33" mt/r's I just bought are as good in mud and as long lasting (or more) than those duellers. If you offroad even a few times a month and don't do A LOT of high speed commutting- consider the Bridgestone.
    2000 sport, ARB front locker, winch, armour, 2 1/2" suspension lift/ 1"coil, MM, BL, ARB Bumper, 33X11.2MT/R, Warn bumper/tire carrier, 4:56 and Power-lok, goferit belly-up , tera 2&4low, currie antirock, TBT "cage"etc..

Registered

Icon312 Bridgestone VS Goodyear

Well it's time for me to replace my tires. I'm sure down the road I will eventualy get much bigger tires with a SL, BL, etc. As for now, I drive it everyday and really don't have the money to upgrade a whole lot. Anyway, I'm down to roughly two choices: Bridgestone Dueler A/T's and Goodyear Wrangler AT/R's (both 30x9.50-15). Which do yall like? I've heard that the Goodyears' fall out of balance easily and aren't better off road than the Bridgestones'. In addition, I've heard that the Bridgestones' have better cornering on road (I need all the help I can get :-)). What is yall's experience? I was also considering ordering my tires from Tire Rack (the big online store). Even with shipping they're cheaper than the tire stores around here. Has anyone used Tire Rack before? Thanks for the help!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport (still stock )
    God Bless!

Default Re: Bridgestone VS Goodyear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaybird124
    [B]I forgot to mention, I offroad a couple times a month. The terrain ranges from rocky to deep sand to mud (self-cleaning tires would be a plus).

Well, neither of the tires you mentioned constitute as "self-cleaning"

I think you need either BFG AT KO's or BFG MT KM's

I think you'd be very happy with either my friend.

Any AT tire is going to be handicapped in the mud. If your offroading at all you should get at least the BFG AT's or some Scorpion's or something
    1997 Red TJ SE 2.5L, AX-5, D30/D35, 4.88's, Dual True-Tracs, Teraflex S3T, 33x10.50 BFG MT K/M, AA SYE/Woods CV, RE Uppers, Canyons, JKS BPE's, Dual RE Trackbars, Kilby Tank Skid, Carsound Cat, Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow, +AMA A/C , etc...

Dunlop Rover RV's are my AT of choice. BFG don't self clean any more then my 10 year old after dinner time.
    John Swink
    Bob Supplee (405) 799-8977 or supplee4wd@sbcglobal.net
    Don't take yourself so seriouslly, nobody else does...

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
    BFG don't self clean any more then my 10 year old after dinner time.
    LOL!!

I think he should just get some MT KM's... They don't ride any worse and they are only a little bit louder.
    They are way cooler than any AT and they look sweet
    1997 Red TJ SE 2.5L, AX-5, D30/D35, 4.88's, Dual True-Tracs, Teraflex S3T, 33x10.50 BFG MT K/M, AA SYE/Woods CV, RE Uppers, Canyons, JKS BPE's, Dual RE Trackbars, Kilby Tank Skid, Carsound Cat, Flowmaster 50 Delta Flow, +AMA A/C , etc...

If you don't wheel much it just doesn't mater. Check the want adds in your paper and you can get new tires for half price that some one has swapped out.
    I'm never buying new tires for my pick up again.
    Ron
    It's not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.......

Bridgestone also makes Firestone....sorry....I don't want any of their tires. I'd take the Goodyears.
    2009 F-150 SuperCrew · 2014 Street Glide Special

Registered

Originally posted by ehirner
    Bridgestone also makes Firestone....sorry....I don't want any of their tires. I'd take the Goodyears.
    Bridgestone does not make firestone tires. They are 2 seperate companies. Bridgestones are made in Japan and Firestones are made here. Bridgestone bought firestone . I've always liked firestone tires and never had a problem with a one of them. I've been in the tire/auto repair industry most of my life so I have some experience to draw on here. Don't tell me you bought all the media crap about ford rollovers being the tires fault. Because of a blow out? Come on now. I blew a tire in my YJ with a 4.5 lift, and guess what...no rollover. Don't ya think my COG would be a touch higher than an explorer? Do some research.

Funny how Ford (at first) blamed the tire for rollovers, yet most of the new fords still come with Firestone tires. Did you know after that huge recall the rollovers were actually worse?? 10 times worse to be exact. Just my 2 cents.

BTW I have Bridgestone dueler MT's and I love em. Great on road and off. Firestone does not make a good MT IMO. The lugs are way too close together to help eliminate road noise, because of that they don't clean too well.

Registered

Thumbs up

31x10.5 MT/R is my recommendation my friend....
    Need I say anymore?
    Cheers
    Wooders

1946 Willys truck, 1974 CJ6, 1975 CJ5, 1997 TJ, 1998 XJ & 2000WJ......
    Wooders Garage.
    Sydney Jeep Club.

Registered

Mt/R's all the way. I just got them a month ago and love them. They are the bes tire to get.
    '93 YJ Sahara, flat fender, 4" RE lift, 2" shackle lift, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTR on 15 x 10 AR Chrome Nuggets, Warn Front Bumper, Tom Woods Drive shaft and SYE, Pacesetter Header, KC Daylighters, K&N Airfilter, Sway bar Quick disconnects.

Registered

Icon312

Thanks for all yall's help, I do appreciate it.
    I agree with a lot of you, Dueler M/T's and notably the new Goodyear MT/R's are amazing. Especially, considering the new MT/R's have the same sidewall design as the Hummers.
    However, if I was going to get Muds' i wouldn't need to ask a question because I would go with the MT/R's. Because of the fact that I don't have a whole lot of money to blow on tires and this Jeep is my only car (and I make a few trips home which is a long drive on the interstate ), I need A/T's (they're still better than the GS-A's). With that said, what do yall think about Bridgestone Dueler A/T's versus Goodyear Wrangler AT/R's? What other A/T tires would yall recommend?

P.S. Eventually, I will get my Jeep built up but for now I don't have the money or time needed to do the job right.
    God Bless!

Registered

Angry Bridgestones suck

My dad's Mazda pickup had Bridgestone tires on it. I was driving it through BF Montana and it threw a tread. My dad thought it was an anomaly (sp) untill it threw another tread on my sister. Bridgestone and Firesone are one and the same. 721's, Firestone 500's and the more current Wilderness A/T are all tires that self destruct. The BFG M/T's on my Bronco are at 60,000 miles and still have reasonable tread. I'll never buy any daily driver/weekend trail tires that don't say BF Goodrich on them. Never go cheap on your shoes, your tires or your matress, because your always on one of them.
    "Be very careful with your advice, because the wise don't need it and the fools won't heed it."

My daddy told me that.

Registered

I have had both sets of tires on my Pathfinder. The Bridgestones wore out after 28000 miles!!! Couldn't keep those suckers balanced for more than a month by the end. Replaced them with the Goodyear AT/Rs and I have just replaced them after 55000 miles with another set of Goodyears. I drive up to NH every weekend in the winter (230 miles one way) because I work at a mountain as an instructor. The Goodyears were great in both rain and snow, better than the Bridgestones IMHO. I was very diligent about rotating my tires and balancing them.

On a side note, my parents love buying Subarus and Hondas which both came with Bridgestone tires. The subaru was bought in 1998 and my dad had to buy new tires by ten thousand miles. I think that Subarus no longer are sold with Bridgestones. They just bought a brand new Honda CR-V two months ago. Had 2500 miles on it and the tires were creating vibration issues. (My dad had the dealer check it out twice, tires balences, etc.) Went and bought new tires. Voila! No more problem. He is now in the process of get Bridgestone to refund $$. I guess what I am trying to say is that my family has had some crappy experience with Bridgestones. Maybe they do make some good tires, but I myself have seen enough and will never buy from them again.

Just my $0.02!
    To Jeep of Course!
    '86 CJ7 Renegade

Originally posted by TRUTH

Bridgestone does not make firestone tires. They are 2 seperate companies. Bridgestones are made in Japan and Firestones are made here. Bridgestone bought firestone . I've always liked firestone tires and never had a problem with a one of them.
    Did you at all read what you posted? You start by saying that Bridgestone does not make Firestone, yet later on contradict yourself by saying that Bridgestone bought Firestone. Therefore, if Bridgestone owns Firestone, then Bridgestone makes Firestone.

Also, if the rollovers were not the fault of the tires, than why haven't there been more accidents caused by a tire blowing out? I'm sure if the accidents and rollovers were still occuring, you damn sure as hell would hear about them in the news. Reporters would jump on a story like that. The Explorer might have a high center of gravity, but would those rollovers have occured had a Firestone tire not blown out? Hmm.....makes one think that the tires are more at fault.

Okay, so let's look at it this way? Would the tires have blown out if the owner properly maintained their operating pressure and also properly operated their vehicle? Ya never know.

And just so you know, I've never cared for either Firestone or Bridgestone.

Default Re: Bridgestones suck

Originally posted by cement_guy
    My dad's Mazda pickup had Bridgestone tires on it. I was driving it through BF Montana and it threw a tread. My dad thought it was an anomaly (sp) untill it threw another tread on my sister. Bridgestone and Firesone are one and the same. 721's, Firestone 500's and the more current Wilderness A/T are all tires that self destruct. The BFG M/T's on my Bronco are at 60,000 miles and still have reasonable tread. I'll never buy any daily driver/weekend trail tires that don't say BF Goodrich on them. Never go cheap on your shoes, your tires or your matress, because your always on one of them.
    Truth, how do you explain this one?

Seems like the Bridgestone/Firestone problems seem to run through the entire family.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast