Thread: Siphoning Transmission Fluid ?

Registered

Default Siphoning Transmission Fluid ?

I read a suggestion in the archives (I think by OVERTONE) that the transmission fluid could be siphoned out through the fill hole. Since I'd like to service the bands while changing the fluid, I've kind of nixed the idea of having a quickie-lube do the service (besides the fact that they want about $80 even if I provide my own Amsoil fluid--they won't touch the band adjustment).

I'll have the time to let it all siphon (and enjoy the lesser clean-up involved), but I am unclear on whether that will get out ALL the fluid (torque converter, etc.) or just get the pan drained.

Any ideas? I'm juist hoping to avoid the messy procedure outlined on the Amsoil site.

Thanks.
    '12 WK2 Laredo 3.6, Brillant Black Crystal Pearlcoat, Heated Katzkin-leather seats, bone stock from there (for now)

For Sale:
    '96 Stone White Laredo 4.0 w/tow package, 252,000 miles, BB, 31" Mesa APs on silver TJ Grizzlies, Edelbrock IAS, K&N drop-in w/ modded airbox, Magnecor Wires, Accel Coil, Autolite Plats, Borg Warner cap & rotor, Doug Thorley headers, Carsound cat, Magnaflow large case muffler, Moog bushings, Spicer u-joints, Wix fluid filters, Redline axle fluid and sythetics throughout, Kenwood/Pioneer/iPod stereo system, Klasse finish

Registered

Hi,
    I am planning on doing a flush and changing the filter aswell. Changing the filter is why you would want to drop the pan rather than siphoning, although I did consider syponing first to reduce the mess when dropping the pan. For the flush, I plan on using the transmission pump to do the work after changing the filter, replacing the pan and filling it up again with new ATF (Amsoil). To pump out I am going to disconnect the return cooler line and attach a clear pipe to it and run this off into an old gallon juice container with quart marks on the side. The at the same time as pumping I will add new fluid through the fill tube. When 1 quart is pumped, I should have emptied one quart of new fluid.

Some questions that I have before I do this are:
    1. Do you have to turn the engine off to stop the pump or will putting it in park do the job.
    2. What size tubing will connect to the cooler line so that I now what size to buy
    3. For adjusting the bands, do I need a special extension tool and also can I do it with a socket (as the screw is square)
    4. I plan on uying 15 quarts of fluid. Is this too much?

Hope this helps and thanks for answers to my questions

Registered

I've used a marine oil change pump to suck the fluid throug the dipstick tube the last two times I changed the transmission fluid in my '96 ZJ, and I was able to get maybe only half of the fluid out of the pan. It looks like there's a high-point on the pan just below the bottom of the dipstick tube.

The next time I do a tranny fluid change, I'm going to try to have a drain plug fitting/bung braised into the pan so I can drain it completely before dropping the pan. Others have said it's best to put the plug on the side of the pan (as close to the bottom as possible) so it's less likely you'll hit it and rip it off while wheeling.

I don't recommend siphoning or even using a drain plug as a replacement for dropping the pan. It's important to change the filter and to wipe out all of the debris from the pan, and you can't do either without removing the pan completely.
    Brian
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    '02 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG
    '09 Chrysler 300 Touring
    '14 Toyota Highlander LE Plus

Registered

its actually really not that messy. This is what I would suggest. Pop off about all the bolts except for two on each side of the pan. Then, begin to loosen one of them, it will crack the pan open and fluid will come out ONLY on one side. I would suggest laying down newspaper around the bucket that u have collecting the old tranny fluid.

Siphoning actually should work, BUT, you may not be able to get all the fluid out of the pan, try and get on a VERY level surface. If the pan looks like it is leaking, then i would say go ahead and drop the pan with a NEW gasket to stop the leak.

Also, about getting ALL of the fluid out of the system, that wont work unless you do an ACTUAL tranny flush. Last time i check, most of the quickie places DO NOT do the REAL flushes...so beware, and make sure you get the facts straight.

HTH,
    Cash
    6.5" with 33's

Registered

Yea if you drain your torque converter plan on refilling about 12 quarts of tranny fluid
    1998 Grand CHerokee 4.0L
    Dual Flowmaster 70's
    15" Orion w/ Phoenix Gold Amp in Custom Box
    IAT adjuster
    Custom CAI w/ K&N
    180 T-stat

Registered

I got sick of paying someone to flush my Jeep's tranny fluid so I installed a brass drain fitting when I installed my second transmission cooler. Pop it into neutral and drain away. I bought two needle valves and a t-fitting. Cost was maybe $5-$10

- Joe
    '94 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8, 121k miles, Ford 8.8 w/ POSI, NV242, headers, custom-built 3" stainless exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, K&N FIPK, custom-built 4 wheel disc brakes, Flowkooler water pump
    Import Performance Transmissions custom 46RH trans and torque converter

Registered

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice. I'd really like to see a picture of that drain you put in, Joe--sounds like a great idea. BTW your site is looking like it will be GREAT--love your write-ups and the good clear pics. (Leave it to a LRHS grad to do it right--I'm c.o. '88.)
    '12 WK2 Laredo 3.6, Brillant Black Crystal Pearlcoat, Heated Katzkin-leather seats, bone stock from there (for now)

For Sale:
    '96 Stone White Laredo 4.0 w/tow package, 252,000 miles, BB, 31" Mesa APs on silver TJ Grizzlies, Edelbrock IAS, K&N drop-in w/ modded airbox, Magnecor Wires, Accel Coil, Autolite Plats, Borg Warner cap & rotor, Doug Thorley headers, Carsound cat, Magnaflow large case muffler, Moog bushings, Spicer u-joints, Wix fluid filters, Redline axle fluid and sythetics throughout, Kenwood/Pioneer/iPod stereo system, Klasse finish