Thread: oil pressure gauge drops to 0 at stop light, then back up when moving?

Registered

oil pressure gauge drops to 0 at stop light, then back up when moving?

I have a 96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Unlimited V8, and when I come to a stop the oil pressure gauge drops to 0, when I put it in neutral and rev it, it comes back up. It seems to be happening when the engine it is hot outside. Any help? At night it never happens. Thanks in advance!
    96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8

my XJ does that also. I just come to ignore it. Mine is the Oil Sensor. if you have no oil pressure your jeep wouldn't be running

Unlimited? Anyway, I had this happen on my 96 ZJ V8. Had the oil sending unit replaced (didn't fix), had the oil pump replaced (didn't fix), and finally had the whole short block replaced (fixed it). I now have 125k miles on it, and this happened when I had about 50k-60k miles on it. Chances are it's the sending unit, the cheapest and easiest fix. My pressure dropped every once in awhile to 0 for quite a while just when stopping, and when it was warm. When it was dropping to 0 while driving, that is when I knew something major was going on. I also started hearing some knocking under the hood, and my oil level would drop some between changes which it never did before. I don't burn any oil now.

------------------
    1996 ZJ Laredo Moss Green (120k miles), V8, Leather, UC, 30x9.5 BFG A/T KOs (stock rims), TeraFlex BB, Edelbrock IASs, OME SD40, tow pkg, moonroof, loaded.
    2010 Rubicon Unlimited, Dark Charcoal, auto

99 Milkmobile Limited, Sienna (Burgundy), V8, QT-II, OME HD Springs/Shocks/Stabilizer, Anthony's 1.25" BB, A-arm spacer, JKS discos, TF ext. rear links, Kolak 3" exhaust w/ 70 series flowmaster, Warn rec. shackle, WalMart strap, Goodyear MTRs (Rubi donated 31")....Mall Rated

Registered

This happened to me on the last FORD product that I will ever own at 61,000 miles. It was excess wear in all of the rod and main bearings. There were grooves in those bearings that looked like the Grand Canyon.
    Fortunately there was no damage to the crank so we popped in a set of new bearings and a new oil pump for agbout $500 and she was almost as good as new - at least to get as far as the MOPAR lot where I traded it on the new 94 ZJ.

Fayetteville, AR - University of Arkansas - Go Hogs!!!

Do you hear any more valvetrain noise?! I had a chevy 350 that did this because of a blockage in the FRAM oil filter, there wasn't enough pressure at idle to move oil through the motor, but off idle the needle would jump back to normal, had lots of valvetrain/lifter noise. Make sure before you drive it anymore!

------------------
    1998 5.9 ZJ Platinum

1.5" Tera BB, Yakima rack, 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R, Kolak exhaust (Flowmaster 70 series, Mike Leach tailpipe) OME SD40 SS, Indiglo Gauges, Infinity Basslink, :::More mods on the way:::
    1998 5.9 ZJ Platinum
    AIM-Jeeps59

***Mods on the way***
    RockKrawler 7" Long Arm Suspension
    35x12.5x15 GoodYear MT/R Tires on 15x8 3.75"BS Daytona Black Steelies
    Kevin's round sliderz

Registered

This could be abad gauge , sending unit or wiring, or low oil psi. Have a shop run a oil psi test or change the sender and see what happens. If there is no engine noise when psi is lost then its more than likely the sending unit is the culprit
    1996 ZJ 5.2, warpspeed exhaust, flowmaster 70, Powerstearing cooler, K&N Generation II, 180 degree t-stat, Mobile 1 synthetics [all] Monro Reflex shocks , Bridgestone Dueler H/L, Superstar 3900 export CB, k40 whip,[door jam mount] flow kooler water pump

Electric oil pressure systems are famously inaccurate. I would try adding a manual guage somewhwere on the block to check oil pressure.
    2000 WJ, Selec-Trac, 4.7L, 11-23-99 build date, Set up W/ Handicapped Controls, WeatherTech Window Visors, Turbo City Air Tube & K&N Filter, HO Exhaust to the muffler, Spintech Sportsman XL, 3" SS Tip, Cabin Filter, Adj. IAT Sensor, Headlamp Wiring Harness, High Beams Bulbs All Around (HB, LB, & FL), Up-Dated front and rear drive shafts, Up-dated Calipers and Pads, Wet Okole Seat Covers(Black), Cobra 75 WX ST All-in-handset Mobile CB, Firestik KW4, Anthony's BB, OME Heavy Duty Springs, JKS Adjustable Track Bar, JKS Sway-Bar Discos, Doetsch Tech Shocks, Rancho SS, Factory Gas Tank Skid Plate, Factory Tow Package W/Steel Horse Hitch Hook, 265/75R16 Firestone MTs, Aussie locker, Mountain Valley Customs 44HD Axle Truss/Skid Plate, Timberline Wheels painted Charcoal Grey Metallic.